Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

961 - 972 of 972 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #961 ·
For it to use my WiFi, it would have to know my SSID and password.
I believe I read on the Rogers Forum that the gateway can use WiFi "in the background" directly to the IgniteTV box, even when bridged, so it doesn't have to use your router. I'm not familiar enough with IgniteTV (since I don't use it) to "know" whether you're using WiFi or Ethernet, but perhaps some expert on the topic does.

The IgniteTV App may be of use for this diagnosis...

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I believe I read on the Rogers Forum that the gateway can use WiFi "in the background" directly to the IgniteTV box, even when bridged, so it doesn't have to use your router.

I turned on one TV and verified I could watch something, then pulled the Ethernet cable. I lost the signal until I plugged the cable back in.

·
Super Moderator
56,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #964 ·
I turned on one TV and verified I could watch something, then pulled the Ethernet cable. I lost the signal until I plugged the cable back in.
Did you try turning off the box and/or rebooting the gateway and box with the cable disconnected? It should come back...

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Did you try turning off the box and/or rebooting the gateway and box with the cable disconnected? It should come back...
It comes up with a list of the WiFi in my area, including my own. If I select mine, it asks for the password. It does not connect to anything automatically.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I decided to make the switch to Ignite and the boxes are on the way. Is there any advantage to using an ethernet cable between them over wifi....they will be right next to each other in the cabinet.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I decided to make the switch to Ignite and the boxes are on the way. Is there any advantage to using an ethernet cable between them over wifi....they will be right next to each other in the cabinet.
There are two ethernet ports on the Ignite XB6 modem and four on the XB7, so if you get the XB6 only one would be left for other wired connections. There is no meaningful advantage to using the wired connection. Mine are very close to each other and have been using the wifi for the last couple of years without any problems.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
I use Ethernet, even though 2 of my 3 boxes are in other rooms. However, if you need more Ethernet ports, you can add a switch. I have my modem in bridge mode and use a separate router. The IPTV boxes only have a 100 Mb interface, so bandwidth is likely not an issue, no matter how you connect.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I got a great 4 port switch on amazon for $10 from Netgear last year. Only issues I seem to have is on wireless with Sportsnet 4k when it cuts out at times. Not sure if being in 4k it uses additional data and cuts out but other than that no issues from my Ignite.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Well the modem and cable box are up and running. I have the Gen 2 box so lots of Ethernet ports. The boxes are connected by cable. I had to call a few times mostly because the account wasn’t set up right. That will happen tomorrow then I can turn on the 4K channels. I did try 4K on the YouTube app but it’s not as good as the app on the TV. The cable box sees the TV as a 4K TV. The Wi-Fi covers the whole house and outside. My Harmony remote runs the cable box well.
that’s it.

·
Super Moderator
56,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #972 ·
Recent posts discussing Ignite Channels were moved to the Channel Discussion thread.

961 - 972 of 972 Posts