Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

921 - 940 of 972 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. But in all honesty, this happened once over the past year, so it is not bad. Yes, I have my cell phone with Public Mobile and used to to call Rogers to find out that my whole area is out.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Friends of our switched to a Bell fibe bundle because they were offered a really good deal. What they were not made aware of was that their old reliable anolog phone service was replaced with VOIP. Recently during a Bell internet outage they were very upset that the phone was not working as well. They are an elderly couple and had difficulty understanding what had happened. They assumed that the phone would still work no matter what.

I imagine the same would happen with an Ignite bundle?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Friends of our switched to a Bell fibe bundle because they were offered a really good deal. What they were not made aware of was that their old reliable anolog phone service was replaced with VOIP. Recently during a Bell internet outage they were very upset that the phone was not working as well. They are an elderly couple and had difficulty understanding what had happened. They assumed that the phone would still work no matter what.

Yes, that is exactly what happened with Ignite bundle. Everything is dead. Good that my cell phone works. I recently canceled My Rogers paygo cell to Public Mobile which is far better than Rogers paygo.

·
Super Moderator
56,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #924 ·
Yes. Even a UPS may not help if there is a power failure since the batteries in most nodes are not being replaced, so no signal gets to the home. Most people have cell phones for emergencies.

Edit - I see that @e268 beat me by two minutes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd like to alert everyone to an Ignite/Netflix/Ethernet bug that I experienced. I tried to get Rogers to assist, after I had tried (almost) everything to get it to work. After about 45 minutes with Tech Support, we still didn't have a resolution. He said that there are signal problems in my area and he would report my issue. Signal problems were definitely not the issue.

Here's what happened. I have two Ignite boxes. On one of them, Netflix stopped working. I received an NW-2-4 error from Netflix. Tried resetting Netflix. Got the same error. That error says that there is no network connection. Here's the problem - all of my other services still worked fine. TV, Amazon Prime, Youtube, everything. So I had a good network connection.

My other box worked fine. So I started debugging. Brought the failing box to the location of the good box. It worked. Brought the good box to the location of the failing box. It didn't work. Clearly the location was the problem.

As well as being wifi connected, both of my boxes are Ethernet connected. More trial and error followed. Turns out if I unplugged the Ethernet cable and just ran on wifi, Netflix worked. ????? Brought down a PC to test the Ethernet connection. Didn't work - no signal. Turns out the cable was bad.

So, what's happening is that if the Ethernet signal fails, all of the the other apps default back to the wifi connection and continue to work. Netflix, however, does not. If you have an Ethernet cable plugged in, Netflix keeps trying to use it, even if there is no signal. It doesn't default back to wifi.

This seems like a bug to me. And I'm not surprised that the Tech Support guy couldn't help. Rogers probably isn't aware of the issue. But if they are listening, now they are.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
????

That doesn't make sense. Ethernet & WiFi are layer 2 and IP is layer 3. The 2 different interfaces will have different IP addresses, but that's it. Also, IIRC those boxes run Linux, and Linux uses a different "metric" for the 2 interfaces, so that Ethernet will be preferred over WiFi.

BTW, why are you running both Ethernet & WiFi? If you have Ethernet, why not use it exclusively? That's what I do.

·
Registered
9,512 Posts
It's not a good idea to connect with both ethernet and wifi. It's not causing an issue in this case but it can with some devices. If more than one IP connection is present it can set up a loop that creates an ethernet storm that will bring the entire LAN to a grinding halt. As seen in this case, it can also make debugging connection problems more difficult.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. But in all honesty, this happened once over the past year, so it is not bad. Yes, I have my cell phone with Public Mobile and used to to call Rogers to find out that my whole area is out.
Well, my ignite bundle went down again 2 days ago for another 2 hours. This is second time. I hope Rogers have fixed their problem.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's not a good idea to connect with both ethernet and wifi. It's not causing an issue in this case but it can with some devices. If more than one IP connection is present it can set up a loop that creates an ethernet storm that will bring the entire LAN to a grinding halt. As seen in this case, it can also make debugging connection problems more difficult.
Usually, if you enable both wifi and Ethernet on your device, only one is active and not both. I have configured wifi on my Sony TV but I am using Ethernet cable. In my TV's situation, wifi is saved status and it is not active. If I disconnect Ethernet then wifi becomes active. I have same setup for Apple Tv 4K and Rogers ignite TV, wifi is configured but Ethernet connected. Now I moved my Ignite box and Apple tv 4k upstairs and did not use Ethernet on both devices. Both devices connected with wifi. As per my understanding and experience, only one form of internet connectivity will work at a given time. If you connect Ethernet cable, wifi gets dis abled automatically. It is same like our laptops, when connected with Ethernet, wifi becomes disabled.

·
Registered
9,512 Posts
That may be true in many cases. If the device does any type of forwarding between the two interfaces it can cause issues. It may be desirable to have both enabled, such as with a laptop that used both wifi or ethernet depending on location, but it's not usually necessary or desirable.

·
Super Moderator
56,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #931 ·
It is same like our laptops, when connected with Ethernet, wifi becomes disabled.
On my MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and Mac Mini computers, WiFi is not automatically disabled when an Ethernet connection is in place. I have to manually turn WiFi off/on. For example, I have my Mac Mini computer set up to utilize Ethernet (WiFi off), however when I wish to do Airdrop (transfer files from an iPhone, iPad, etc), I can enable WiFi for that functionality, and then disable WiFi again all while keeping Ethernet connected.

I'm not an expert on IgniteTV as I'm still on legacy Digital Cable, however, over on the Rogers forums there's a lot of discussion on how to set up the boxes and I believe several posts talked about the fact that WiFi on the IgniteTV side is never disabled, even when the modem is bridged. It's just the way Comcast has designed it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
On my MacBook Pro, MacBook Air and Mac Mini computers, WiFi is not automatically disabled when an Ethernet connection is in place. I have to manually turn WiFi off/on. For example, I have my Mac Mini computer set up to utilize Ethernet (WiFi off), however when I wish to do Airdrop (transfer files from an iPhone, iPad, etc), I can enable WiFi for that functionality, and then disable WiFi again all while keeping Ethernet connected.

I'm not an expert on IgniteTV as I'm still on legacy Digital Cable, however, over on the Rogers forums there's a lot of discussion on how to set up the boxes and I believe several posts talked about the fact that WiFi on the IgniteTV side is never disabled, even when the modem is bridged. It's just the way Comcast has designed it.
I was talking about Windows laptops. I don’t have Mac systems and neither too familiar with Apple stuff.
When I go to office, I dock my laptop and Ethernet kicks in and when I come home and turn on my laptop WiFi kicks in and my home WiFi info already saved in it. It connects to my home WiFi automatically and opens Cisco VPN to connect..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
56,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #933 ·
You said "If you connect Ethernet cable, wifi gets disabled automatically." I'm not sure that happens even on Windows.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Usually, if you enable both wifi and Ethernet on your device, only one is active and not both. I have configured wifi on my Sony TV but I am using Ethernet cable.
As I mentioned, these boxes are likely running on Linux and with Linux both can be active, but use the metric, as I mentioned above, to determine which one will be used. When available, Ethernet will be preferred. This is normal Linux behaviour.

BTW, I just found out Rogers will provlde, on request in writing, the source code for the IPTV boxes. This is a requirement of the GPL license that Linux is provided under.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Yep. It is Linux. I just ran nmap -v -A against one and here's the relevant part of the results.

MAC Address: E0:37:17:CF:B7:52 (Unknown)
Warning: OSScan results may be unreliable because we could not find at least 1 open and 1 closed port
Device type: general purpose
Running: Linux 2.6.X
OS CPE: cpe:/o:linux:linux_kernel:2.6
OS details: Linux 2.6.14 - 2.6.34, Linux 2.6.17, Linux 2.6.17 (Mandriva), Linux 2.6.21 - 2.6.28

·
Registered
9,512 Posts
It's no surprise that it is Linux based. Almost all small devices these days is running something based on a freely distributable Linux or Unix variant. It's the software running on top of the O/S that makes the box proprietary.

I just found out Rogers will provide, on request in writing, the source code for the IPTV boxes. This is a requirement of the GPL license that Linux is provided under.
I believe that requirement only applies to the source code covered by the GPL. That's to make sure that any bug fixes and enhancements to GPL code is freely available. The source code for applications that are free of GPL code may be kept private and proprietary. I doubt the entire Ignite TV application source code is available.

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
^^^^
Well, there's one way to find out. ;)
However, if it was developed under GPL then it remains GPL.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi all, I have an Ignite box and I'm always moving it from one tv to another. Is there somewhere where I can buy another power cable for it? the one that comes with mine is a USB-C cable. I tried one that came with my phone and a USB/power adapter but it wouldn't work. Where can I buy an original Ignite power cable that would be really cheap? thanks

921 - 940 of 972 Posts