Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

901 - 912 of 912 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I need some advice now. I have ignite tv bundle with 1 tv box on 1 tv. On my second tv, I use a pc and watch tv using ignitetv.Rogers.com . When flash ends, what are my best option? I have iPad, iPhone which can use the ignitetv app. Chromecast is now on sale. So should I go and grab one? Is there no hope at all using my pc?

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #902
You have no worries. Since Tuesday, Rogers have the latest browsers working without flash per the following thread over on Rogers forum.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
All I have to say is it's about time. Most major streaming services stopped using Flaky Flash with its rampant security issues and annoyingly frequent update nags months or years ago. I hope Rogers improved the user interface and reliability issues as well. I stopped using Anyplace TV ages ago due to its many issues.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I was thinking that since Ignite TV works with a browser, it shouldn't be too hard for someone to make a small Android box to replace the boxes rented from Rogers.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
The Rogers Ignite box is a small Android box. They just won't let customers buy it. A much better solution would be for Rogers to make an app that works on Android/Google TV. The new Chromecast with Google TV was designed for just that, with Google offering their own TV service in the US (with unlimited free virtual PVR.) Teksavvy has already done it so why can't Rogers with their $billions in profits per year? Can Rogers really be that incompetent? Can Rogers management really be that short sighted? Or is Rogers just so greedy that they won't spend the money to develop a good Android TV app and let users buy hardware that doesn't have a 100%+ annual return from rentals?

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
The Rogers Ignite box is a small Android box.
Hmmm... Android is released under GPL, so the source code should be available somewhere. If it isn't Rogers or whoever is violating the license terms.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
I may be mistaken. Most of these small boxes are running a version of Android though. The GPL code and its modifications should be available. The dedicated Rogers code running at the user interface level may not be.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. I explains why some TV service providers are having trouble providing working apps. It's nice to know that Google isn't dominating every streaming and TV platform but it's going to be difficult to catch up to Android.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I was hoping to find and install Rogers Ignite app on my Sony X900H TV which runs on Android 9. But there is no Rogers App available. There is Bell FiveTV app but nothing for Rogers. It could have been convenient to play Rogers cable on TV without Rogers Ignite box..

·
Registered
175 Posts
I found workaround. I can use iPhone tv app on my iPhone and then cast cable channels on tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

901 - 912 of 912 Posts