Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

881 - 900 of 912 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was just helping my in-laws who live in Montreal determine what to do with their cable as they were contemplating the switch to Helix which is identical to our Ignite on Rogers using the same equipment and software (Comcast X1) platform. Anyway, I stumbled upon this link on the Videotron Website and not only is the Helix App (their version of the Ignite app) open for casting to any screen including a TV, they are selling the ability to use it anywhere with "other streaming hardware to be available soon".

Feel free to take a look at what Videotron is doing but clearly this is Rogers not wanting to make this available as opposed to not being able to.

This just makes me even angrier at Rogers as not only is the software clearly able to do this and clearly this is not a licensing issue, this is clearly Rogers just trying to rip us off by forcing their hardware onto us for as long as possible. If the cable price I was paying wasn't lower than what I could get from Bell, I would be out the door as I hate being ripped off and I have at least 3 extra boxes in my home than I would otherwise need if they followed Bell and now Videotron's lead.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Now that Google has released the Chromecast with Google TV it is obvious that just about any streamer will work provided the correct technology is used. Google TV is a full TV service that uses the US$50 device. They provide unlimited cloud DVR as well. Google TV is no cheaper than other TV services but the hardware certainly is. It's too bad that nobody in Canada has decided to fully support it as a primary IPTV device. Teksavvy comes the closest with support for Android TV and Android devices. I've heard that there may be issues and it looks like they are promoting their own TV box these days. The TV service that fully supports Android/Google TV devices in Canada and provides decent package options will get my TV dollars. I'll be leaving Rogers so fast that all they will see is my dust. They can stick their overpriced Ignite boxes and their buggy, outdated technology where the sun doesn't shine.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm hoping with the pending move away from Flash from the Ignite app by the end of the month, that might be what forces Rogers to open up these features as people could use a browser on a TV to bypass these needs once the switch kicks in which at that point they might as well just allow customers easy access instead of having to do this in a roundabout way. I don't have access to the Helix app / browser experience yet but does anyone know if they bypassed flash as it launched much later than Ignite and they may not have used Flash at all. That could give a hint as to what we may see in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
It's so obvious that Rogers TV management is flailing and failing at everything they do that it's pointless to try and tell them anything. By the reports I've seen, Ignite TV is just the latest debacle.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It has potential to be just as good if not better than Fibe but they are nickel and diming and trying to keep the old monopoly alive and this is just one example of this. At some point, they will need to see that.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
It's strange that nobody seems to be laying the blame at Comcast which is the base for Ignite. Comcast is supposed to the eliminating Flash in a week or two and I would expect Rogers to follow at the same time or shortly after. Roku is still in beta testing with Comcast, so it is possible that Rogers will pick this up after it is production ready. I can already hear the cries about Rogers failure if they released it early and experienced problems. Just saying.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Comcast has already dropped Flash from the web player and app and allows for Casting and Roku use and has for over a year as you would know if you looked at the Comcast link I posted a while ago from over a year ago and in addition they allow for use with other devices (Fire Sticks, etc.) and don't block them even if sideloaded. The second is because Rogers is lying about why it can't because there are already other Canadian providers using the same platform who don't do this and it is clearly being done as a pure cash grab on their customers when their largest competitors are all playing fair with their customers and they aren't.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
How much did Rogers lose on their failed internal IPTV project? I didn't have the reference but I believe it was close to a billion dollars. Not only money but reputation and, probably, talent was lost over that. It also drained money that could have been invested in the Ignite TV rollout. I doubt that Rogers TV division has any money or talent left to invest in Ignite TV. Now they have loyal long term customers that are stuck with a defective digital TV platform that appears to be abandoned. Many of those customers have lost confidence in Rogers, may have already left and won't be back. Others likely won't migrate to Ignite TV. Rogers' digital TV issues could have been fixed years ago but it appears that Rogers' management decided not to. They should have realized that Rogers did not have the resources to develop its own IPTV product in today's fast paced technological market. That's what they are paid for. It now looks like Ignite TV is rapidly becoming obsolete as well. Maybe they should switch to a Google TV based solution but I doubt Rogers can move fast enough to accomplish it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The issue at this point isn't the platform as there is nothing particularly wrong with X1 / Ignite TV as a platform for IPTV service as it gets the job done and works well for the most part. The larger issue is the restrictions they are placing on the software they sell which is unnecessary. They can easily open it up to any device like what Videotron has done here in Canada and Comcast has in the states. Even if they require you to use the Rogers hardware for certain functions like 4K and other things that's a fair compromise as they want to ensure user experience. But, to unnecessarily lock customers out from functions like casting and using your own device like a Google TV and claiming they can't when clearly they can that's showing that they are just desperate to monetize tv as much as they can while they hemorrhage tv accounts to Bell and cord cutting options when if they just opened up a little they'd keep some business even if in a limited manner and also provide existing customers a superior service.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
That's basically what I meant to say. As long as Rogers wants $10/mo for each extra TV box, restricts other hardware options and fails to implement new features in a timely manner then then I don't see Ignite as a good choice.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I couldn't agree more! We shall see what happens by the end of the month where they have to dump flash and see what if anything changes.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
The fact that Rogers is still using Flash is a good indication of the extent of Rogers' TV technology issues. I'm just thankful that the internet service appears to be keeping up.

·
Registered
232 Posts
A miracle has happened and Rogers has just enabled casting on the Rogers Ignite TV App!!!!!!!!!! Just checked my phone and I can happily confirm this! Our prayers have been answered to an extent. It is still using flash on the web browser version but the casting feature has been enabled and is huge and now the next step is to see if the app will work on my Firestick or if it is still blocked. I'm going to do a sideload later today or tomorrow but even if I can't I can always cast to my Firestick so this is a HUGE MOMENTOUS day!! I'll be returning 2 of my Ignite boxes later today and replacing them with 2 Google TV's or Firesticks shortly around Boxing day or whenever they go on sale!! Our prayers have finally been somewhat answered only 2 years of bitching and complaining!

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Our prayers have finally been somewhat answered only 2 years of bitching and complaining!
Wow. I'm impressed. Nextbox owners have been waiting for bugs to be fixed for over 5 years. What could be next, getting the Seattle CBS network feed fixed after almost 20 years? My heart is palpitating in anticipation. [/sarcasm]

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #897
What is actually new here? Haven't you always been able to use the Ignite App (similar to AnyPlace) to watch programming on various devices (phones, tablets, computers) and then connect or "cast" to the TV per the following post on Rogers' forum?

I'm guessing something new has happened but could you please elaborate further what is new? I assume you need some sort of "smartness" in the TV itself of some sort of "dongle"?

Also, I believe some programming/channels are not available on various devices in the same manner as they are on the IgniteTV boxes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Casting is now supported direct from your phone so I can take my phone click on the cast logo and it goes straight to my Chromecast on the TV. Previously you could not screen share from a phone to the tv (technically you still can't as they still blocked regular screen sharing and the app only supports casting directly from the app). This is a huge step forward for Rogers. Only issue I'm having now is I only have 2 Chromecasts and I have 4 Firesticks and they are using some sort of block so that I can only cast to an actual Chromecast and not my firestick using an app that would allow me to Chromecast. Does anyone know of an app I can use on my Firestick for this to work now. I know I'm being picky as I already have access to my cable using my Slingbox but this is WAY better and easier to use (especially when watching shows on my DVR) so I'd rather go this route if possible. Airstream was the closest but it shows the channel and an image of the show and freezes. Either this or wait until Google TV's go on sale and stock up and dump my firesticks lol.

·
Registered
232 Posts
What is actually new here? Haven't you always been able to use the Ignite App (similar to AnyPlace) to watch programming on various devices (phones, tablets, computers) and then connect or "cast" to the TV per the following post on Rogers' forum?

I'm guessing something new has happened but could you please elaborate further what is new? I assume you need some sort of "smartness" in the TV itself of some sort of "dongle"?

Also, I believe some programming/channels are not available on various devices in the same manner as they are on the IgniteTV boxes.
No, you have never been able to remotely from a phone or tablet watch your shows on any device. Only from a laptop directly connected by HDMI or by screen mirroring from a browser only on a laptop. This is the first time the Ignite TV app has supported watching on a TV from any device.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
This feature is not important to me now as I only have 1 TV.
I can open the Ignite TV app on my iPhone and Screen Mirror the iPhone to my ATV. All goo so far. But when play is pressed on a selected recording the video is not displayed, and only the sound is heard.

881 - 900 of 912 Posts