Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

861 - 880 of 912 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #861
Most times you can send the HDMI signal directly to the TV and then connect the TV via Optical to the AVR. The TV needs to be set up properly for "external speakers" or similar in the TV's audio setup menu.

See paragraph 4, bolding.

This may not be possible with a "monitor".

Also be aware that such devices may cause issues with the "Handshake" between the Rogers box and the TV and may not allow for 4K video, etc.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
@57

The monitor can accept audio via HDMI or analog line in. There is no audio out, other than the speakers. The monitor is only 1080p, so 4K won't be an issue. The HDMI signal is already passing through a KVM switch.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Ignite TV requires IPv6. I've been watching it's connection with Wireshark and see there's also IPv4 traffic, including some SSDP packets in the 169.254.0.0 /16 range.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Another thing I noticed is the terminal only has HDMI output and my A/V receiver requires analog or TOSLINK audio. While I can play the TV audio through my monitor, I decided to go for one of these.
I had one of my TVs hooked up that way too. Decided to buy a new receiver and put everything via HDMI and then sold my old one to make up some of the cost. Never even thought about something like you ordered.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
My experience is that it is better to update the AV receiver than add converters or gadgets to overcome limitations. It simplifies everything from daily use to troubleshooting. One obvious advantage is more support for sources with new protocols and lack of legacy protocols. It makes new features available such as higher resolution video and uncompressed audio. The main drawback, of course, is often cost which is why it's better to avoid higher priced equipment since new technology now makes it obsolete long before it fails.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
See the following regarding powering down the box(es). They only power down with certain commands. They do not power down with the power button.

See the following regarding the other questions like on-channel and auto delete after one year:

It is possible that with the newly released HDMI-CEC functionality that the box will power down when the TV and box are programmed in a certain way.
Even when the terminal is "off", I can still ping it. I wonder how much actually gets turned off. Just the LED? ;)

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
My experience is that it is better to update the AV receiver than add converters or gadgets to overcome limitations. It simplifies everything from daily use to troubleshooting. One obvious advantage is more support for sources with new protocols and lack of legacy protocols. It makes new features available such as higher resolution video and uncompressed audio. The main drawback, of course, is often cost which is why it's better to avoid higher priced equipment since new technology now makes it obsolete long before it fails.
That "extractor" has arrived and it works fine. I no longer have to use the speakers in the monitor.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
I agree that it will work just fine. It's good that it is a relatively cheap converter. I'm just looking at it from an overall benefits view. A new receiver has a lot of potential to keep things simpler and, add extra features and improvements over legacy gear with converters and switches hanging off the inputs and outputs. For a high end system, the best solution may be to purchase separate tuner, preamplifier and amplifier components since they will age or become obsolete at different rates and can each be updated as necessary.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Well, I've had this receiver for several years. It was my main one, in my living room, but it was replaced a few years ago by a Yamaha that does have HDMI inputs. This device cost me about $30. Why would I buy a new receiver, when I don't need one? The Yamaha in my living room is working well.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My 4k Channels on Ignite randomly stopped working a few days ago and I get a notification that the TV connected to the box is not 4k and asks if I would want to watch in HD instead. However, when I go into my settings, it confirms that it is set at 4k and this is happening on both my 4k tv's. Not sure what to do.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #872
If the above suggestions don't work, turn off HDMI-CEC in the TVs and in the boxes. Rogers recently implemented HDMI-CEC and this caused issues for some people. See the following thread over on the Rogers forum:

Also make sure that your TVs have the latest firmware to preclude such "handshake" issues.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
One thing I have to worry about is not losing the shows I've recorded on my Nextbox but not yet watched. I understand I have to keep power to the box. Anything else?
My Nextbox disconnected today. That's 4 weeks after the Ignite arrived.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Question, with Chrome dropping support for flash at the end of the year, how will Ignite TV on a web browser work? I use this at work sometimes when wanting to watch tv from my laptop but with flash leaving will they be updating how the web browser works? Also, once they switch to a solution that does not require flash, I'm guessing it will allow for me to use the browser from my Samsung TV and firestick to watch Ignite so this could finally bring a solution to this and allow me to drop a few boxes from my account. Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Lack of flash already prevents the Android apps from working. I have filed a complaint with Rogers about it. I mentioned that Adobe has said it's end of life next month.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a feeling certain people at Rogers may know this capability will open the app or at least the browser based experience to other devices and will hold out until the last possible moment to release the change to get as many boxes as possible out the door before the new capability is available. If they were smart they would use the new capability to sell more services during the holidays but nope. My guess is it will be released at the very end of December or potentially early Jan but the clock is ticking for this to get done as they're backed up against a wall on this.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
Alternately, Rogers can just make customers rely on unsupported, insecure versions of Adobe Flash. Flash won't be removed unless the user wants it done, it will just be unsupported by Adobe, who recommends removing it. Some browsers will stop supporting flash plugins. Mozilla already tried once and it broke so many websites that they backtracked. I tried removing Adobe Flash from my browsers a couple of years ago when it was first recommended and both Rogers and Bell Fibe stopped working. Most other streaming services, like Netflix, worked fine without Flash since they had already converted to HTML5. A few websites also stopped working.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
The problem is I don't have flash and it's no longer available to install.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'd call Rogers and complain and force a credit, this is part of the service so if they cannot deliver as part of what you're paying for you should be compensated. The change I'm guessing should be coming soon.

·
Super Moderator
17,524 Posts
I read that Comcast has started rolling out the version of the browser-based viewer that works without Flash and plans to complete the transition in all of their regions by the end of the year. Presumably they're also working on the Canadian versions for Rogers, Shaw, etc.

861 - 880 of 912 Posts