Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

841 - 860 of 912 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
I saved a good chunk too. The Flex channels seem good but they could be much better. There are channels you can only get a-la-carte or as part of packages and those you can’t swap. If you get 2 a-la-carte you are pretty close to the next package up as some channels cost $7 each.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
The only additional channels I got were the 2 left coast (Canada & U.S.) theme packs @ $3 each.

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
200 hours of storage (not sure how much 1 GB on the Nextbox 4 gets)
The Nextbox 4 is also rated at 200hr of HDTV. I say rated because that's for 200hr of MPEG4 TV. Rogers cable uses MPEG2 which translates to about 100hr of recording space. Rogers gets around that by converting MPEG2 programming to MPEG4 after it has been recorded. (See kludge definition.) Since the Nextbox 4 seems to have no MPEG4 capable hardware, which could allow on the fly conversion, that seems to be done with software which may contribute to performance issues and extra wear and tear on the hard drive. Recording a lot of programming quickly will result in a rapid loss of disk space which will be slowly recovered later. The runaway recording bug could fill the disk and result in lost recordings in less than 4 days if not caught in time.

4. Although you have 200 hours, recordings are only kept for one year and then deleted.
Due to firmware bugs and other issues, recordings often don't last a year on the Nextbox. Ignite could be an improvement in that regard. Anyone who likes a program enough to keep it should probably keep an eye out for a disc or digital copy, used or on sale.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
One thing I have to worry about is not losing the shows I've recorded on my Nextbox but not yet watched. I understand I have to keep power to the box. Anything else?

·
Super Moderator
17,489 Posts
One thing I have to worry about is not losing the shows I've recorded on my Nextbox but not yet watched. I understand I have to keep power to the box. Anything else?
It might be worthwhile to disconnect the coax cable. I know Shaw Cable sends a deactivation message to the PVR when service is disconnected, meaning you can't even watch previously recorded shows. I don't know if that will happen in your case, but why risk it?

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
@Dr.Dave

I had thought about that too. I'm supposed to be receiving the new system on Thursday afternoon. I have to pay a $29 "installation" fee, that only covers delivery. For some reason, I can't just pick it up at the local Rogers store, as I did with my Nextbox.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #848
As mentioned by @Dr.Dave, you must disconnect the RF-coax before the switch, probably the day before would be a good idea. The unit will not boot afterwards and Rogers does send a "deactivate" command. Best to watch anything "important" beforehand, just in case.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Also, depending on the size of your home (I have 2 stories with the modem in the basement), I asked the Tech for the Pods (Wifi Extenders) when he delivered the package (they don't normally give them then) so I could install on the same time. I now have great Wifi on my 2nd floor with 1 extender on each floor basically each installed close to center on each floor.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
@Dolfan

I'm in a single floor condo and plan to use my own WiFi. I have a separate access point mounted high on the wall in my laundry room, which puts it roughly in the middle of my home. I get a good signal everywhere, including my balcony. I also have an Ethernet outlet at every location where I will have a TV terminal Now, if they're handing out Tide Pods, perhaps I could use some. ;)

·
Super Moderator
17,489 Posts
Amazon Music is now available to all Rogers Ignite TV customers. To access either Amazon Music Unlimited or Prime Music, customers need an active membership to Amazon Music Unlimited or a Prime membership. (Rogers Press Release)

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I got my Ignite set up today. The picture seems better than with the Nextbox

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
@Bplayer

I'm not using WiFi for the TV, just plain Ethernet. Many years ago, when I had my cable modem installed, Rogers sent a couple of guys out to run the coax from my living room, where my main TV is, to my "office". They ran the cable behind the drywall, so it's only visible where it crosses my laundry room ceiling and where it comes through the wall in my office closet. While they were doing that, I had them pull in a couple of runs of CAT5, so I have Etherent to both my living room and bedroom, thanks to Rogers. I also have a 5 port Gb switch in the living room, near the TV, as I have other devices there that can use Ethernet. I have TVs in my living room & bedroom and can also use my computer monitor as a TV in my office.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
One thing I've noticed is there doesn't seem to be any place to set preferences, such as series recordings or power on channel. Am I missing something? Also, people have mentioned that the recordings are only kept for a year. I see 2 choices, either 1 year or until I delete. Another curious thing is 2 of the TV terminals don't seem to turn off when I press the power button, but the other one does.

·
Registered
643 Posts
There is no power off - they are always on - except they will go to sleep based on a preference. When you wake them up they are on the last channel you were on.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #858
See the following regarding powering down the box(es). They only power down with certain commands. They do not power down with the power button.

See the following regarding the other questions like on-channel and auto delete after one year:

It is possible that with the newly released HDMI-CEC functionality that the box will power down when the TV and box are programmed in a certain way.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
@57

That's probably it. The one that turns off is connected directly to the TV. One connects to the A/V receiver, which connects to the TV and the 3rd connects to a KVM switch that connects to my computer monitor. I guess those boxes don't consume much power. I see they use a USB C connected power supply.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Another thing I noticed is the terminal only has HDMI output and my A/V receiver requires analog or TOSLINK audio. While I can play the TV audio through my monitor, I decided to go for one of these.

841 - 860 of 912 Posts