Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

821 - 826 of 826 Posts

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Glad to hear it's resolved. With digital signals and HDMI, little to no picture sharpening should be necessary. It's a relic of analog signals. Edge is based on the same source code as Chrome (as are many modern browsers) so there should be little difference there. The choice of browser depends more on available apps, support and features.

Video rendering is a function of Windows and other MS software. Ideally, streaming services will use HTML5 for browser based video but Canadian BDUs seem to be years behind US streaming services in adopting it. Many still use outdated, relatively insecure software for browser video.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I encountered the same issue when my discount expired in June. I had been calling for a little over a month before and was told there were no deals available and to call back closer to the deal expiry. I had no luck until I called right after the deal expired.

The agent explained that they were trying to move existing customers over to Ignite but because of the pandemic, she was able to extend my discount until September (including the month that I had just been billed in advance for at the normal rate).

My package is for the TV, 150MB Internet and Home Phone.

When I expressed my concern about suddenly having to pay for 2 additional rentals for my other TVs, she told me they have a buyback plan for the old hardware, but did not provide any details.

I guess I'll have to see how things look in September and consider the change and what I can negotiate.

The research I've been able to do shows that Rogers will provide a 4 port switch and the pods which is good because I currently have the WiFi disabled on the modem and am using my own router and a WiFi Extender so that my coverage for the 2.4GHz is good on the 2nd floor. The 5GHz signal seems to be very good around the whole house.
The problem with 2.4G is that there are only 3 channels, while 5G has 23. My sons lead an online camp and were panicking a couple of weeks ago when they couldn't remain connected. Initially, I thought it might be Rogers or distance within the house, but when I looked at their WiFi settings I saw something like 15 WiFi networks available in the 2.4G spectrum...all competing for the same 3 radio channels.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
[B said:
coghlan[/B]]The problem with 2.4G is that there are only 3 channels, while 5G has 23.
Not exactly. Canada has 12 channels on the 2.4GHz band. Channel 12 is restricted and in not usually available. The 2.4GHz band provides 3 non-overlapping channels with 20MHz bandwidth, these may be combined under certain conditions to provide only 1 non-overlapping channel with 40MHz bandwidth.

Canada has a total of 49 20MHz channels on the 5GHz band but most are restricted. 32 of the 5GHz channels may only be used with DFS and TPC which restricts their usefulness. I've yet to see a 5GHz router that implements DFS and TPC so these channels are unavailable unless a compatible router can be obtained. 9 channels are usable indoors only. If you are like me and roam outdoors, these channels should not be used. That leaves 8 20MHz channels that may be used indoors or outdoors (149-165.) However, in order to obtain maximum (advertised) speeds, 80MHz channels must be used. It's my experience that most newer 5GHz routers default to 80GHz channels. This provides only 2 non-overlapping indoor channels and only 1 non-overlapping outdoor channel. Using 40GHz channels, only 4 non-overlapping 5GHz channels are available. Once again, improved technology consumes available radio frequencies faster than they can be allocated.

In the foreseeable future, wifi may become available on the 6GHz band. This is not yet fully approved in the US and Canada but it has the potential to provide an additional 23 non-overlapping 80MHz channels. 14 of these may be used without restrictions. The 23 channels will likely be combined into 11 160MHz channels to provide increased wifi speeds. Only 7 160MHz channels will be unrestricted. Look for "Wi-Fi 6E" devices that support this new band.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ah, okay. Maybe I had confused 3 non-overlapping channels with the total. Switching my sons to the 5GHz band fixed their connectivity problems for the virtual day camps they are running.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
The original 11 2.4GHz channels are essentially unusable as such these days. They were allocated for Wireless B about 20 years ago with a maximum theoretical throughput of 11Mbps (closer to 5Mbps under good conditions in the real world.) All modern routers use the bandwidth of 5 or 10 2.4GHz channels to achieve usable speeds with G or N.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Actually, they predate 802.11b. Even with b, there were only 3 clear channels. Also, the actual number of original channels varies, according to country.

821 - 826 of 826 Posts