Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

821 - 840 of 912 Posts

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
Glad to hear it's resolved. With digital signals and HDMI, little to no picture sharpening should be necessary. It's a relic of analog signals. Edge is based on the same source code as Chrome (as are many modern browsers) so there should be little difference there. The choice of browser depends more on available apps, support and features.

Video rendering is a function of Windows and other MS software. Ideally, streaming services will use HTML5 for browser based video but Canadian BDUs seem to be years behind US streaming services in adopting it. Many still use outdated, relatively insecure software for browser video.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I encountered the same issue when my discount expired in June. I had been calling for a little over a month before and was told there were no deals available and to call back closer to the deal expiry. I had no luck until I called right after the deal expired.

The agent explained that they were trying to move existing customers over to Ignite but because of the pandemic, she was able to extend my discount until September (including the month that I had just been billed in advance for at the normal rate).

My package is for the TV, 150MB Internet and Home Phone.

When I expressed my concern about suddenly having to pay for 2 additional rentals for my other TVs, she told me they have a buyback plan for the old hardware, but did not provide any details.

I guess I'll have to see how things look in September and consider the change and what I can negotiate.

The research I've been able to do shows that Rogers will provide a 4 port switch and the pods which is good because I currently have the WiFi disabled on the modem and am using my own router and a WiFi Extender so that my coverage for the 2.4GHz is good on the 2nd floor. The 5GHz signal seems to be very good around the whole house.
The problem with 2.4G is that there are only 3 channels, while 5G has 23. My sons lead an online camp and were panicking a couple of weeks ago when they couldn't remain connected. Initially, I thought it might be Rogers or distance within the house, but when I looked at their WiFi settings I saw something like 15 WiFi networks available in the 2.4G spectrum...all competing for the same 3 radio channels.

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
[B said:
coghlan[/B]]The problem with 2.4G is that there are only 3 channels, while 5G has 23.
Not exactly. Canada has 12 channels on the 2.4GHz band. Channel 12 is restricted and in not usually available. The 2.4GHz band provides 3 non-overlapping channels with 20MHz bandwidth, these may be combined under certain conditions to provide only 1 non-overlapping channel with 40MHz bandwidth.

Canada has a total of 49 20MHz channels on the 5GHz band but most are restricted. 32 of the 5GHz channels may only be used with DFS and TPC which restricts their usefulness. I've yet to see a 5GHz router that implements DFS and TPC so these channels are unavailable unless a compatible router can be obtained. 9 channels are usable indoors only. If you are like me and roam outdoors, these channels should not be used. That leaves 8 20MHz channels that may be used indoors or outdoors (149-165.) However, in order to obtain maximum (advertised) speeds, 80MHz channels must be used. It's my experience that most newer 5GHz routers default to 80GHz channels. This provides only 2 non-overlapping indoor channels and only 1 non-overlapping outdoor channel. Using 40GHz channels, only 4 non-overlapping 5GHz channels are available. Once again, improved technology consumes available radio frequencies faster than they can be allocated.

In the foreseeable future, wifi may become available on the 6GHz band. This is not yet fully approved in the US and Canada but it has the potential to provide an additional 23 non-overlapping 80MHz channels. 14 of these may be used without restrictions. The 23 channels will likely be combined into 11 160MHz channels to provide increased wifi speeds. Only 7 160MHz channels will be unrestricted. Look for "Wi-Fi 6E" devices that support this new band.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ah, okay. Maybe I had confused 3 non-overlapping channels with the total. Switching my sons to the 5GHz band fixed their connectivity problems for the virtual day camps they are running.

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
The original 11 2.4GHz channels are essentially unusable as such these days. They were allocated for Wireless B about 20 years ago with a maximum theoretical throughput of 11Mbps (closer to 5Mbps under good conditions in the real world.) All modern routers use the bandwidth of 5 or 10 2.4GHz channels to achieve usable speeds with G or N.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
Actually, they predate 802.11b. Even with b, there were only 3 clear channels. Also, the actual number of original channels varies, according to country.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am thinking of going to Ignite, is it a good move. I won't save money but I would like to try it. Any comments.

·
Registered
644 Posts
The only thing I miss from NextBox is the call display and send to voicemail feature. Otherwise, Ignite is better, for me. I love the fact that recordings are not affected by power outages. Sure, if your Internet goes out then you lose access to TV and recordings but that is very rare where I am. So if you have frequent outages, that would be a concern.

The channel packages are different and they have been very crafty at how they group them. Simple channels like SciFi are $7 a month unless you buy a group of channels for a little bit more.

There are the occasional glitches with the Ignite box but a reboot takes 1 minute versus 10 minutes for NextBox.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #831
@sammey : Check out the various threads on IgniteTV over on Rogers' Forum.

Check out the following thread/post regarding bothersome Ignite issues for some people:

I don't believe that Rogers are yet doing installations of IgniteTV due to COVID-19. I believe you currently have to do a self-install. Not sure when they will start complete installations again.

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
The channel packages are different and they have been very crafty at how they group them.
The packages are designed to force people onto the most expensive plan. They do that by leaving the most popular channels out of the cheaper plans and making it expensive to add them. With Ignite Premier or Popular, customers basically have the option of paying $50 extra (over basic internet) for 146 channels with without many of the specialty channels they want or $75 extra for a package that includes them as flex channels. Adding the missing channels can cost more than getting the more expensive package. Either way, customers end up paying for lots of channels they don't want. The best option may be the Flex 10 package. If the 10 flex channels are not enough, it can be topped up with a theme pack.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I just read those two threads through 57s post above. I think I’ll stay with the current system for a while longer.

I could be convinced to move to Ignite but I would want a full self install package. That would include any fiddling at Rogers to convert my home phone...I don’t see why anything should be necessary but whatever.

I would certainly want their internet modem in bridge mode as I already have a router and everything set up the way I like it. I have Ethernet wiring such that I could connect my two TVs via wires not wifi. We only use wifi where we have to, iPads and iPhones and our printer.

So I’ll wait a bit longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
@sammey,

I'm in New Brunswick and have had the ignite Flex 5 package for almost a year.
Think the Flex 5 is no longer offered.
I switched from the basic skinny plan to the Flex 5 when I got the package.
Only extra I have is time shifting for Canadian channels.
Truthfully, I found it hard to find even 5 Flex channels that I wanted. The last few months I have not even watched TV, just streaming from Amazon and watching boxed sets.
I think the Flex channels are great, I have TCM, W Network, Showcase, CTV Drama and swapped out one for Paramount so I could watch season 3 of Yellowstone.
That's finished now so can switch back to another, maybe the Sci Fi channel if they get something decent to watch.
I have 150u for internet which works well, think to go to 500u would only be a few dollars more.
All in all I am very pleased with my package, too bad it runs out in November and I will have to try and renegotiate for same deal for another 12 months.
I think the voice search on remote has improved quite a bit in the past few months.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
I just checked my account and found a new offer for Ignite, which could save me a fair bit and get much better Internet bandwidth. It's the Flex 10 package, with 3 terminals and 200 hours of storage (not sure how much 1 TB on the Nextbox 4 gets), 500u Internet (500 down, 20 up) vs current 75 down, 10 up (actually around 92 down, 11 up). Home phone would be pretty much the same. I would have to pay for the additional channels I currently get, including Crave and I would get all this for $144/month. My current TV has several packages for a total of $131.94, just for TV and my Internet is $69.99 and home phone $27.99 on top of that. In addition to the Nextbox, I also have 2 4250HD terminals.

One thing I noticed is the disclaimer:

Important
  • Your Home Phone service will be replaced by Ignite Home Phone.
    In the event of a power or network outage, you will not be able to make any calls, including Emergency 9-1-1 calls, with this service.
I guess this means unlike my current terminal there's no internal battery in the terminal, as the cable would be the same. I haven't checked if I actually have a working phone line during a power failure, as they're rare around here. Well, I have a couple of UPSs right near where my phone table is located.

BTW, I assume there's no problem putting the Internet connection into bridge mode.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #836
@JamesK : A few comments.

1. There is no separate home phone modem, it's part of the "gateway" for the Rogers router/modem/gateway - one piece of equipment. And no, there's no internal battery. If you have an alarm system, the installation may not be straight forward.

2. A UPS will likely not make any difference if there is a power failure in your area as Rogers has not been replacing the backup batteries in the nodes. You will likely be "down", but most people have a cell phone for backup.

3. Check out the various threads in the IgniteTV forum over on Rogers website There are a lot of difference between digital cable and Ignite:

This is a thread on the major differences.

Re: How do you like Ignite TV compared to Digital Cable?

4. Although you have 200 hours, recordings are only kept for one year and then deleted.

5. With COVID-19, they are currently not doing installations. You must do a self-install. You may not be comfortable with that.

6. If you don't like IgniteTV, you cannot go back to Digital Cable.

7. Although it's possible to use bridge mode, it's not as "easy" or "comprehensive" as it is on digital cable. There are numerous threads on the topic in the Rogers Ignite forum.

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
@JamesK : A few comments.

1. There is no separate home phone modem, it's part of the "gateway" for the Rogers router/modem/gateway - one piece of equipment. And no, there's no internal battery. If you have an alarm system, the installation may not be straight forward.

I was aware the phone was built in. I don't have an alarm system.

2. A UPS will likely not make any difference if there is a power failure in your area as Rogers has not been replacing the backup batteries in the nodes. You will likely be "down", but most people have a cell phone for backup.

3. Check out the various threads in the IgniteTV forum over on Rogers website There are a lot of difference between digital cable and Ignite:

This is a thread on the major differences.

Re: How do you like Ignite TV compared to Digital Cable?

4. Although you have 200 hours, recordings are only kept for one year and then deleted.

That's mentioned in the info

5. With COVID-19, they are currently not doing installations. You must do a self-install. You may not be comfortable with that.

Installation is $29.95, but given I've spent most of my career in telecom and now networks, that's not an issue. In fact I have done some work for Rogers, at some head ends, on cell sites and at a data centre, on behalf of an Allstream customer.

6. If you don't like IgniteTV, you cannot go back to Digital Cable.

I'm also aware of that but also at some point the digital customers will be kick off and onto Ignite.

7. Although it's possible to use bridge mode, it's not as "easy" or "comprehensive" as it is on digital cable. There are numerous threads on the topic in the Rogers Ignite forum.

I'll have to check the forums about bridge mode, as that's essential for me. As long as I get my IPv6 /56 prefix, that's all I'm worried about.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
That link doesn’t work on my iPad...I’ll try on a pc later.
I won’t move to ignite without bridge mode either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
I just signed up for Ignite. It appears I'll be saving about $100/month and my Internet is going from 75/10 Mb to 500/20. The equipment will be delivered on Thursday or Friday. One nice thing is the flex channels, which will allow me to replace channels I have no use for with others that are a bit more intelligent.

821 - 840 of 912 Posts