Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

801 - 820 of 826 Posts

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
All I am saying is instead of wanting an inferior product to come out NOW, why not want a polished properly working product when the time is right in terms of technical development and when the industry shifts which it has not, to allow you to watch TV on any universal digital platform without complaining and ranting. All I am saying is its coming its NOT HERE yet, but you keep saying you want it now.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Rogers (and most other BDU box rentals) are a scam but Rogers is one of the worst. Their hardware is overpriced, full of bugs and Rogers hardware support is pathetic. Why would anyone want to pay almost $100 a year to rent a piece of hardware that is probably worth less than $100? Even the FCC recognized what a scam TV hardware rental is and ordered cable companies to support third party hardware. Teksavvy has a better idea. You can use their own box or any one of a their supported devices. The Fire Stick costs as little as $50 and the Teksavvy TV app is free.

...why not want a polished properly working product when the time is right in terms of technical development...
Since when were Rogers devices a "polished properly working product?" The NextBox never was and never will be. From recent reports, the Ignite boxes aren't either. Anyone who wants a "polished properly working product" is going to buy something like an Apple TV 4, nVidia Shield, Amazon Fire Stick or Chromecast, all of which exceed any Rogers TV hardware in value, quality and polish. The only caveat is that the TV apps might be a piece of junk but that's on the TV provider. The same caveat applies to smart TV apps. The big downside to smart TVs is that most TV makers limit support to as little as 3 years. After that it's back to using a third party device.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Samsung still supports my 2014 Smart TV. Just got an update last week. I am very pleased with Samsung support.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Samsung still supports my 2014 Smart TV. Just got an update last week. I am very pleased with Samsung support.
I have a Samsung Bluray player, which I bought 11 years ago. The geniuses decided to make sure the Internet connection was up by seeing if the player could connect to Youtube. Unfortunately, Youtube switched to HTTPS, which the player couldn't handle, so it no longer connects to the Internet and I am not aware of any updates.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Samsung may have extended app support but don't expect it from all TV makers or all services. With some products it depends on the service provider and they may terminate support making the TV useless for their service. That goes for any device, including media players or even the providers own receivers such as the current Ignite box.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I have 2 tv boxes, but considering canceling one to save the monthly rental fee. I tried using my htpc to watch tv. Basically I would use Firefox and sign into ignitetv.rogers.com. I find the picture quality is not as good as the tv box. Using the htpc seems to get a picture with changing smearing patches. Sometimes, the picture is quite clear, but other times, smear patches can appear on the announcers face. Can someone confirm my impression. Or is there some tweeks I can make. I already change the picture setting to high quality

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
I use Chrome for streaming. It generally has better support than Firefox for streaming services. The picture isn't usually as sharp and the audio is usually limited to DD2.0 with browsers.

I find that the Chromecast HD provides the best picture and audio quality for streaming. That's especially true of services like Netflix that support high bit rate HD, 4K and DD+, like Netflix. Haven't tried it (due to cost) but the Apple TV 4 should be as good.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Thanks. I'll give Chrome a spin. My tv is 2011 vintage, no 4k or HDR. So a waste of money for Apple TV 4K

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Even so, when buying a media player I would get a 4K version for two reasons. One is that 4K hardware is generally better overall, even at HD resolution. The other is planning ahead for that future 4K TV. The difference in price for 4K is not usually that big.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I tried Chrome bowser. Same problem. Wonder if I should spend some money and buy a Chromecast HD. Would it give the same good quality on a 2 k tv vs a 4 k tv?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have 2 tv boxes, but considering canceling one to save the monthly rental fee. I tried using my htpc to watch tv. Basically I would use Firefox and sign into ignitetv.rogers.com. I find the picture quality is not as good as the tv box. Using the htpc seems to get a picture with changing smearing patches. Sometimes, the picture is quite clear, but other times, smear patches can appear on the announcers face. Can someone confirm my impression. Or is there some tweeks I can make. I already change the picture setting to high quality
I used the new Edge browser on my Win10 PC to access the Ingite app to playback a recorded show. The connection to my AVR and HD TV was with an hdmi cable. The picture was comparable to direct playback from the Ignite box.
The new Edge browser is based on the Chrome engine.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Thanks. I found out that ignitetv.rogers.com provides poorer video stream. I went to cnn.com CBC.ca CP24.ca, etc, and can stream. The picture quality is about the same as using the Rogers tv box. So I do not need to buy chromecast or AppleTV.

@Bplayer, I’ll give Edge a spin. Thanks. Btw, is there an app in Edge? I cannot find the app, please help.(Edge is latest version)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I’ll give Edge a spin. Thanks. Btw, is there an app in Edge? I cannot find the app, please help.(Edge is latest version)
No app, but you log on to Rogers, select Ignite, and then watch now. Once you have the Ignite link you can just launch it again to go directly to the site.

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
My current Rogers bundle expires on July 5, so I called Rogers this morning to see about updating it. They now want to push me onto Ignite, but they were unable to tell me much about prices etc. and said to call back in late June. They also said the old system will be cut eventually, so the two 4250 terminals I bought years ago will be worthless. :cry:

I just called Rogers and found they're not switching anyone to Ignite at the moment, due to the COVID virus. So, my current plan continues, but with a bit less discount. However, my Internet goes from 500 GB to unlimited and my cell phone goes from 7 to 10 GB. I'll also give Crave a try at $10/month.

They also said to call back in a month, to see what's happening then.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
No app, but you log on to Rogers, select Ignite, and then watch now. Once you have the Ignite link you can just launch it again to go directly to the site.
Thanks. It is just like going to ignitetv.rogers.com. The picture quality is similar to other browsers. So, I finally realize I should go into my Sony Tv and adjust the settings. I found that my tv sharpen setting is set to quite high. I lowered it towards the low sharpening, and the picture quality becomes better than the Rogers tv box. So, problem solved. I can remove my rental box and use the money to add other channels.
Btw, the new edge browser looks good. I used it to create an app pinned to the task bar, so I can just click it to watch tv.
So now my htpc is more useful, tv, netflix, prime video, Apple+, disney+, etc. I’ll use Edge browser and create apps for all of them. I think the end result is that I do not have to buy Chrome or similar devices.

·
Registered
180 Posts
This whole thing is ridiculous that we have to go through all this trouble when in the States, Comcast just released the Xfinity app that includes Chromecast and FireTV support. The tech is clearly there Rogers is just being greedy and forcing us to pay for extra boxes when even Bell isn't doing this! At some point, they have to let people use their own device. I would be fine if they had a minimum of one Ignite box per property in order to gain access to the app but outside of that they need to open up access to outside devices on the home network!

801 - 820 of 826 Posts