Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 781 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
We have a Nextbox and an ancient 8300 PVR not even HD. We have 100Mbps internet.
Reading all the above I think it is high time the 8300 had an 'accident' and was replaced by a new
Nextbox before one is forced into the new system. Perhaps one will be able to delay Ignite for a few years.

Some points not mentioned explicitly. If all the internet is wifi do rogers provide free adapters...capable of 500 Mbps...which suggests the have to be USB3. My main pcs can certainly manage 1Gbps as can my router ( just to one port at a time) buy I have not heard of a reliable 1Gbps wifi system yet...

And what about Ethernet. I live near to a major Uni and I purposely have wired connections to the machines that do banking and other financial transaction

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
Haven't seen any specs on the router being used but I doubt the internet is wifi only. Even if it is, a compatible AC router could be placed near it to achieve at least 300Mbps throughput to feed the wired network.

If all the internet is wifi do rogers provide free adapters...capable of 500 Mbps...which suggests the have to be USB3.
PCs can use PCIe wifi cards which will usually outperform USB wifi adapters. Many other devices have wifi built in. Individual devices will typically make a 300Mbps, 150Mbps or slower link and real throughput will typically be less than half the link speed. Some newer devices might make a 600Mbps link with maximum 300Mbps throughput under ideal conditions. To get anything near 500Mbps or 1Gbps real throughput over wifi, identical routers must be used under ideal conditions.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You are correct. A PCIE card in a desktop can provide all the bandwidth needed for nearly anything!

802.11ac may theoretically get close to 500 Mbps but I think not in practice especially if it has to provide signal the length of even a small house like mine...with its solid lathe and plaster.
Now if the demarc device can be placed in the middle of the house on Rogers coax which is already in place and has an Ethernet port, just one will do, it will be placed close enough for my tvs and computers...
I wonder if their built in router will have a bridge mode for the internet connections even if the tv boxes are WiFi.

As an aside I wonder if the " WiFi will curdle your brain people" will be up in arms with this....they have been quiet recently.

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
Another concern I have is the router. The tendency these days is for ISPs to lock them down in order to make extra features like TV and phone work. Rogers is talking about adding lots of extra features to Ignite which could motivate them to lock it down even more. Rogers seems to be keeping quiet about what modem is provided and it may be proprietary to the X1 system. Until someone posts some details, we won't know about its capabilities.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
That would be very annoying. Now I have a 'naked' Ethernet wire coming out of the modem with V4 and V6 at 100Mbps+ I really don't want any more stuff from Rogers...except a bit more speed but I don't need that. The reliability of my Internet connection must be in the 99.99% range if not better so I don't want an ISP controlled router in the system.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Based on what I'm reading here, this sounds like a total fiasco in the making.

From the price standpoint, I'm not sure that many people will be interested. And that may be a very important factor. Maybe Rogers will start forcing customers to switch, but that may be a risky game to play. Why not have high speed Internet only, in that case, and just use the ever growing online services (Netflix, Amazon, CraveTV, even sports channels).

Also, what are the real technical advantages of IPTV versus the old fashioned cable? I just don't see too many. I apologize if I'm missing something, since I admit that I don't know much about IPTV technology. Is the picture and sound quality supposed to be vastly superior to cable? To me, that is the most important question, speaking about TV.

The idea of storing your recordings on a cloud of some kind is not very appealing to me, especially if there will be a time limit of how long the recordings can last.

I just don't see too many WOW factors, especially with these projected prices.

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
I see it as Rogers using pricing to prevent quick adoption by a lot of users. The service currently appeals to early adopters who are renting NextBox equipment. The equipment we own would cost over $60/mo to rent. The purchase cost was amortized years ago. As long as it keeps working or cheap used replacements are available it's a cost effective option. Renting Ignite TV equipment would represent a significant cost increase in addition to the service cost increase.

A slow rollout is to Rogers advantage as it will allow them to scale the system up and iron out major bugs in an orderly fashion. I say that with some hesitation as Rogers has not worked out nearly enough bugs in the NextBox hardware and development support appears to be approaching end of life as far as Rogers is concerned.

As long as Rogers can keep churning existing NextBox equipment as rentals, they will keep promoting them. Renting out 5 year old equipment at prices that return their original cost in about two years is a profitable business plan. When that stops becoming cost effective due to equipment shortages and high failure rates, they will start actively promoting Ignite TV equipment to new customers.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I think the install fee will eventually get waived. They obviously have a plan, and I'm assuming they want a very slow rollout so they can monitor and manage the load on their own network, plus iron out any bugs that may crop. I had it installed and it took 3 hours. Labor is not cheap either. I think for now a self-install might just be a disaster in the making. On top of that the service is working quite well so far. Since I've had Bell Fibe already, this system is way far superior to what Bell offers at this time. The Netflix integration is nothing short of amazing. I'm still learning new features and nuances that I come across daily.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I bit the bullet and signed up. My install is Friday so I will be able to offer more info then.

I can tell you the pricing that was quoted to me which is not being discounted at all at this time nor are they willing to waive the install fee of 149.99.

Starter package with 500Mbps internet: $164.99
Starter package with 1Gbps internet: $179.99
Select package with 500Mbps internet: $174.99
Select package with 1Gbps internet: $189.99
Popular package with 500Mbps internet: $189.99
Popular package with 1Gbps internet: $204.99
Premium package with 500Mbps internet: $204.99
Premium package with 1Gbps internet: $219.99

All include home phone service with unlimited Canada wide calling and 8 features which is pretty cool if you're into that sort of thing ;).

I was told that for the popular package there are 20 bonus channels that are swappable. For the premier there are 40. I got different interpretations from two different CSRs on what that means. One said that there are 2 packages that have 20 bonus channels in each that you can pick from . . . the other said there are 20 bonus channels that you can swap with any other channels of your choosing in your lineup. I guess this will become more clear once I am an actual customer.

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
Rogers certainly isn't providing enough information to make an informed decision. Under the digital package channel list, they claim 170+ channels. I count over 300 "channels" including radio and audio stations plus about 50 bonus channels and many more premium channels. I was told that the 40 channels in the Ignite premium package are "swappable" with any other regular priced channel. I assume that's the list of channels listed as included in the Digital Premium package plus all the bonus channels. However, I was not told how many channels are included in the Ignite Premium package. Is it just 40 of those 170+50 available channels in the Digital Premium package? If so, it's quite a downgrade. It's not that I need 170+ channels. If the ignite premium includes 170+ channels with up to 40 of them swappable for any of the 50 bonus channels, that's quite a good package. Is the Ignite Popular package 130+ channels with 20 swappable channels, just 20 channels or something in between? Why is Rogers withholding that information?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I may not be monitoring this thread as much, havent picked up every question asked up till this point... I am pretty busy with the equivalent thread on the Rogers forums.

But I do have the service installed.

If any of you have questions, you can try posting them here and I will do my best to answer them.

Modem is an XB6, Arris modem (which uses the coda chipset?)
Can bridge it.. and are supposed to be able to connect the TV boxes via your own router. Havent figured out how yet tho.
The modem is not horrible. Slightly better overall than the hitrons in features, etc.
For better coverage if you need to, depending on where installed, they will install a MESH network. They are Eero brand. A base unit and X many repeater child units. These are free if needed.

The TV boxes are an xi-6a.
Cant really find ANYTHING about them online. Will try and get more details later and try and look up more.
Stream only box, with cloud PVR.
Box is really fast. Still a few things to learn on it, some things on different spots, so a bit of a learning curve.. but nothing horrible.
Overall I would say BETTER than navigatr.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have the service too. The set-top is not really a set-top box. It literally fits in the palm of your hand, and as posted above is really fast and responsive. Its also a 4K capable. Channel lineup above ch 100 is completely different than legacy. It appears channels are grouped together by genre, and their is less channel duplication. I've also noticed many more channels are in HD that are not HD on Navigator. It appears their are more multi-cultural channels and more Stingray channels as well. Also, the voice remote is RF based, so line sight is not necessary. You can hide the box if you want.

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
It's nice to hear that the modem can be bridged. I prefer to use a home brew OPNsense router with an ASUS AC router as an access point. It's way better than using the Hitron router.

I wouldn't get too excited about the MESH network. Latest reports indicate that they are often no better than conventional repeaters in real world situations. They've got some work to do in making roaming work like it should and MESH repeaters are still half as fast or slower compared to a hardwired access point. Having a really good, centrally located access point or two will outperform MESH with a badly placed access point by a significant factor. A couple of tri-band routers with one configured as a MESH repeater (as some of the newer routers can do) will blow even expensive MESH systems away.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
The handoff is the bigest issue overall with most multi point.

You dont start seeing really good stuff till you get into the commercial grade.

Thats generally the advantage with at least some of the MESH, that they are designed to specifically to talk to each other.. makes the handoff a little cleaner.
Often unless you are using all the same brand (for AP, repeaters, etc), the handoff is pretty poor.

My old setup was that way.

This one doesnt seem horrible. I have seen it passoff (go upstairs, for the first second or two down a bar, then jumps up to full)

Repeaters PERIOD may throttle some of the speeds. But I have managed to get about 350down on my iphone, when right by a repeater. So not horrible.
(vs was able to get 450+ right by the main router when first set up)

For MOST normal people, I think it will be more than fine. I mean.. it will likely be better than their current setups where they only have the one router right now.

I will let you know if/when I can find out how to connect the TV boxes while in bridged...
Going to bug the concierge when they call me tomorrow..

Only downside, being if there is any TV issues.. VERY limited support from rogers side, as one would not be going through their equipment, they cant guarantee it will work.. etc, etc. (the normal spiel)

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
Does anyone have any info on the channels provided with each package? Are they the same as the Digital TV packages with swappable channels as an option or is it something different like a base package with an extra 20 or 40 specialty channels and a list of channels to choose from?

·
Super Moderator
56,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

·
Registered
8,585 Posts
If so, the packages are the same as Digital TV. I was told 40 channels could be swapped with the Ignite Premier TV package.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Can you swap channels that seem to be offered in bundles only? For example, it seems the "CW" channels are not listed in any of the three new packages but are a part of other bundles.

I also see the three packages include radio stations and it looks like those count as channels when they say how many channels are in the bundle. They seem to also count "lobby" channels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
690 Posts
Radio channels are not available on Ignite Tv, just the Stingray channels. I have the service and they are nowhere to be found in the Guide.

21 - 40 of 781 Posts