Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading a bit and finding some Rogers Internet Users complaining of increased throttling in October.

I came across it after my son was experiencing problems with StarCraft. We're not on Rogers so our problem was unrelated but my reading suggested Rogers has made some changes recently.

Anybody here experiencing similar problems?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I noticed it as well, its a started a few days ago for me, Even downloading an CentOS dvd torrent was taking for ever! 30kbs down 8 kbs up.

I just install a vpn server on one of my servers at 151 front street :) and that took care of Rogers throttling. I can torrent and host left4dead games again with no issues again. Until I turn off the vpn link.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yep..same here. TAlk about turning off the upload stream..its ridiculous.

·
Banned
83 Posts
I was trying to torrent a Linux distro this weekend and noticed I could only get max 300k download on my 10mbit connection. My upload for it was non existant. 0.1k at most.

Thought my internet was messed went to do a speedtest and it was fine.

The Distro has tons of seeders and most of them are .edu

I find this really frustrating. Not only do they have Bandwidth limits, they also throttle the way you use the internet.

This to me is like advertising a Highway that has a speedlimit of 100km but only allow you to go 20km.

Looked up this issue and it seems everyone torrenting is having the exact same problem

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well my short run with Rogers cable internet is coming to an end. After a decade of Videotron's cable service, moving, and then 2.5 years of TSI DSL, we moved again. We've had the 10 Mbit package for about a month and the lack of transparency regarding throttling is insane.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Be careful with Acanac. Apparently they will be reselling 3Web, which already suffers major slowdowns during peak hours. Add a lot of heavy users to the mix and it could get ugly.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
deleted off-topic posts. This thread is about throttling on Rogers. Pls stick to the topic at hand. Finally,Acanac has been a multiple time spammer on this forum and is on our spammers list. We do not recommend Acanac.

·
Registered
91 Posts
So the VPN will correct this problem? I guess paying for an outside service is the only way this is going to work? How long till Rogers offers a BT internet service so they can collect the extra money?

I just signed up for a VPN after getting SO FRUSTRATED watching my upload speed crawl along at under 10k

I use BT for sharing legal live recordings and this new cut has rendered BT unusable. I realize most people use this for illegal stuff, but completely eliminating it is not the solution. The old throttling sucked, but at least it was usable.

Now I'm paying $9 to try this, there are yearly plans for 4-5$ a month but I wanted to try it out first. I don't always use BT a lot too which makes it even worse. I have to either buy on months I have lots to share, or keep a yearly plan and not always use it.

I guess one advantage to this is when sportsnet one becomes a pay channel I can stick it to rogers and not order it and use mlb.tv to watch the jays games with a german IP :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
I hear ya! Kids getting kicked out of PS3 Network games, web browsing timing out, torrents crawling etc...

I hear it's because of a SMC Firmware Update so we have to get Rogers and SMC to fix this crap! :mad:

I too, don't use it as a router, have Gateway turned off, of course. I want my dumb Toshiba modem back, get rid of this piece of garbage, Rogers. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts