Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I am new to this forum and to the country as well and I need your advice.

On July 29 I bought a modem with router from Rogers for 120$, Rogers' technician arrived on Tuesday this week and connected me to the internet. I decided on the express package 10/512 - 3 months free and 80$ back for modem. Unfortunately, only after he left I understood that the 60 GB cap is for download+ upload combined. :mad: After only 3 days of usage I understand that I can only use my internet for Skype and light surfing, more than that and I will be harshly punished by 2$ per GB.

So I found Teksavvy, they offer unlimited cable internet for 55$ + tax and same speed. I want to defect and fast :)

1. So Is it still possible to switch ? (it is only been 10 days since my modem purchase)
2. Unfortunately the modem I purchased with Rogers is not listed on Teksavvy site, SMC - SMC8014WG-RRR, but the only difference are those RRR

SMC - SMC8013WG-RMR - 1C
SMC - SMC8014WG-RMR - 1.B

It will not work?

3. What should be my course of action? It takes 7 days! to Teksavvy to connect so if it is possible I should act fast.

Thank you for your help

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I think OP made it clear that s/he knows there are better (value) ISPs than Rogers.

I believe 30-day notice is what they will require, and if you are on a contract then any discounts you have used up will have to be paid back. In your case, very little, if any.

Call TekSavvy support line and ask about your particular modem. It's very possible that the RRR at the back signifies a nameplate difference (like a Rogers logo or something equally trivial) or some other minor change that does not affect the functionality. In other words, it *should* work.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
There's some discussion at the link below. One of the posts provides a list, including the RRR version of the modem, saying that it's supported. However there's also discussion there a bout modems being "locked down" (possibly only usable with Rogers' headend equipment), as well as Teksavvy charging a hefty activation fee.

All the more reason to rent versus buy, I suppose.

http://text.broadbandreports.com/forum/r24269861-TSI-Cable-Modem-Question~mode=text~days=120

·
Registered
462 Posts
My point was that the OP did not state where in the country they are.

If they want to dump Rogers, then why only focus on Teksavvy? What about Bell? Shaw? Cogeco? Eastlink?

Hardware aside, it would be helpful to be able to provide better information by knowing what ISPs are available where they are....

AND - some ISPs won't even charge a rental....

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
If he has Rogers, there's no point focusing on Shaw, Eastlink or Cogeco because he can't get them. They're not competitive with each other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts