Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least, I think it's a problem with Rogers. Here's my issue...
I call a family member from my Bell iPhone to their Rogers home phone. The line answers, but there's just dead air. They call me back, and I answer, and I still only hear dead air. So, I do a test with my own home phone line (which is also Rogers home phone). I pick up my home phone, hear a dial tone, and dial away. Once the number is dialed, there is no ringing at all, just dead air, but my Bell iPhone rings. I answer, and there's only dead air. So, I call again, but this time I press Decline on my iPhone. I listen on my home phone, and it does not go to voicemail. I can call other numbers (611, 1-800 numbers) from either phone, but it just won't work well with each other.
If I continue to repeat the calling attempts, I can eventually get through, but after about 3-4 tries. Then, it goes back to dead air for a few more tries.
Does anyone have ANY idea why this may be happening?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Your post is quite convoluted so I am having problems understanding but it sounds like your Rogers home phone might not like certain phone numbers.

Suggest contacting Rogers.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Reading into it, it sounds like the issue is more the Bell cell phone rather than the Rogers one (two Rogers lines did the same when trying to negotiate a connection with the Bell phone).

Did you port your number to Bell recently? If so, you might want to contact Bell with dates/times of the problem calls so they can look into it further. You might also want to try to see if the issue occurs with other phone providers as well.

(even if you didn't port the number, I'd still contact Bell and see what they say - I just used asked about porting since I've seen similar things happen after a number port)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Issue appears to be intermittent. I have confirmed that it happens with other Bell users in my area, and the issue also involves Rogers cell phones in addition to home phones. I just don't know what to do. Call Rogers, they'll blame Bell. Call Bell, they'll blame Rogers.
Numbers have not been ported.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This blows. I'm not going to get any help with this issue... I called Bell technical solutions and he called me 5 times from another line. 2 out of the 5 times, all we could hear was dead air. So he told me that he would put my address into Google Maps and it would show any outages reported in the area. Few seconds later, no current issues showing up. Then he suggested I back up and restore my iPhone... The issue, however, has nothing to do with the phones because I have another friend on Bell with a different phone and they're experiencing the EXACT same issue. I'm sure it's just standard procedure to restore the phones and try it again however I know it's just a waste of time. Don't have any idea what do to about this now...

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Bell called where? Your iPhone, RHP?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
So, if Bell called your iPhone from a Bell number then you've isolated the problem to Bell and Rogers Home Phone appears to be a red herring.

So is the Bell problem only happen when you are at home. If so, it suggests the wireless service in and around your home is the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I suggested there was a problem in my area but he checked the map and showed no outages. They wouldn't know about it unless they were told. Guess I'll just wait it out since I won't get anywhere with them...

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I'm wondering if the calls made from Bell were from the same line, or if they were separate lines (for example, if the "dead air" calls were possibly made from a Rogers test line they may have).

I'd recommend trying to test as much as you can on your side. Try placing incoming/outgoing calls between your Bell cell and as many other phone providers as you can. At that point, if you can still easily isolate it to Rogers-specific lines, then give Bell a call and escalate if needed.

Also, when did you get the phone, and has this problem always occurred on your Bell line?

To clarify, while it might be poor cell service in general, I'm trying to see if we can find a pattern that rules that out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the iPhone 4 in July but received a replacement last month due to a non-functioning lock key. This problem started Saturday I believe (after the town suffered through two power outages in two days; don't know if that has anything to do with it). The calls made from the rep were from 905-282-2000. Upon calling that number, it is a Bell number. But even when turning my iPhone off, calling from my RHP gives me dead air right away. Shouldn't it ring and then die? Not sure how it works.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
..and now I'm stumped at the moment. :confused:

The part that confuses me is that if you call the iPhone from your RHP, the iPhone will ring.... indicating it's getting a signal saying "someone's trying to call you" - but if the iPhone is turned off, the call doesn't go through to voicemail. Could be the RHP, but I'm not sure.

Could try calling Rogers to see what they say (bringing up what I just summarized might be a good idea too - they may have a better idea as to what could cause that).

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It sounds like clewis4u91 is getting the classic runaround. It also sounds like an equipment failure, quite likely due to the power failures. I would try escalating the issue, getting others with the same problem to do the same and threaten to cancel (or sue to terminate if under contract) if the problem is not fixed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The issue is 100% Bell. I'm on the line with technical solutions and I stated that I've asked others (which I have) and they're having the same problems. Given the phone numbers to Bell tech support upon request and they're making a file for it. Will report back when I'm off the call.

EDIT: The rep is verifying some stuff with the help desk and will get back to me in a couple minutes. Says he just needs to see whether they will bump it up to "level 2 status".

EDIT 2: I called yesterday too and the line was disconnected. The rep today just notified me that he sent the issue off yesterday and is in the hands of the level 2 staff. I have a trouble ticket number to reference when I call next time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Final post (hopefully). As of approx 4PM, the issue still persisted. 8PM comes around and I've been doing some test calls. Made 15 calls spread throughout the evening, and all of them have came through with no dead air. All appears to be well again. That was a pretty quick fix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts