Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded my old HD8300 PVR to the new HD8642 and noticed that the new PVR's volume is much quiter.

I connect my TV seperately and connect the optical digital output to my surround sound system.

When I put the volume to MAX on my surround sound system it is much quiter than the HD8300. I tried changing the volume on the PVR but it doesn't do anything.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Two possibilities that I can think of:
1. Set the Audio Range setting to Narrow - if it is set to Wide (and to a lesser extent, Narrow), it will severely drop audio levels.

2. Set the Audio Vol. Ctrl to Fixed - this ensures that the DSTB volume is always maxed out - recommended if you are not using the audio on the box as your main audio control.

Barring that, the usual cold reboot, etc. If nothing works, test the cable in another device just to rule out the cable itself

These steps will all rule out a setting issue or wiring/TV issue. After that, it would have to be an issue with the terminal itself.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
1 & 2 affect analogue outputs, and perhaps the "other" (PCM) setting, however, they don't affect the Dolby Digital output settings via a digital audio connection.

As mentioned, try a cold reboot.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried cold rebooting and changing the options but it didn't help. I noticed that the sound is especially quite in the radio channels (700s).

Are there maybe hidden menu setup settings that chould change something?

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
It's possible there's something wrong with the optical output, although that would typically result in no sound.
Try unplugging/replugging the optical cable?
Is the optical cable going directly from the PVR to the AVR, or are you going through the TV? Make sure it's inserted fully into both devices.
Can you try the coaxial audio output or analogue audio, just as a test?
Have you tried a different input on the AVR? What's the make/model of your AVR/HTiB?
Try unplugging/replugging your AVR power?
Do you use other devices (DVD player?).
How's the sound with them?
Do you utilize the TV for audio?
How's the sound on it if you do?
Here's a list of things to check:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19694

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used the same cable and the same setup with the hd8300 pvr and the sound was really loud.

My rogers box is connected to my TV using a component cable and it is also connected to my Samsung HTIB through the optical cable.

Its hard to compare the sound on my TV to the HTIB because it is much more powerful.

Don't get me wrong, the sound I have now is pretty good for regular listening, but when I max it out on the 700s radio channels it just doesn't go as loud as it did with the hd8300. I am just curious if this is a common issue for the HD8642, or if I would get another one the sound will be fine.

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts
Just as an FYI, the volume levels of the 700 series Galaxie channels has been recently reduced by 10-20dB. The volume is now more in line with the other (TV) channels as far as I'm concerned. Before they used to be much louder and it'd "hurt" when you switched to them without lowering the volume first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts