Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one of those network cameras w/built-in web server which is capable of e-mailing both an image and notification. I configured the camera to use smtp.broadband.rogers.com, and on the first day dozens of photos arrived in my Rogers inbox.

I then noticed that the photos suddenly stopped arriving and initially suspected the camera, however, the notifications (separate e-mail that the camera sends to notify you of an event) which go to a separate (non-Rogers) e-mail account have been arriving like clockwork ever 5 minutes.

I asked Rogers if there might be some kind of inbox limit, but they said no.

Since the photos are directed - via smtp - to one of my Rogers accounts and only the photos seems to be unreliable, I suspect that some kind of spam or other filter must be eating them.

Has anyone else been using Rogers smtp to send photos from a network camera?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Did the email address for the photos change? Is it random? If so, might be getting blocked by Roger's spam blocker.

Why not configure the photos to use the same as the notifications?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rogers is definitely filtering.

I have the camera set up to:
  • Send notification of sensor trigger to Rogers e-mail
  • Send notification of sound trigger to work e-mail
Only the sound trigger notifications arrive. If I swap the e-mail destinations for each notification, then the one that wasn't working starts arriving at work, and the one that was working stops.

E-mail originating from the camera can be routed externally, but not back to one of my other Rogers e-mail accounts. E-mail from an iPod etc. (using same smtp server) is not blocked in the same way.

·
Super Moderator
56,525 Posts
As mentioned before, since the files are different, a spam filter or something similar may be precluding the one type of message. Perhaps add the sending e-mail account to a "white list"?

For example, Rogers e-mail filter is very good at finding spam and your one type of message may look like spam and you need to figure out how to allow it through. Perhaps even contact Rogers for recommendations if you can't figure it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts