Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the internal doc it states that “Effective December 14, we’ll be changing our policy on device unlocking to allow customers the opportunity to unlock their devices for a $50 fee. This new policy applies to phones, smartphones, and rocket sticks depending on the manufacturer’s restrictions. Customers purchasing a new device or qualifying for a HUP are also eligible to have their previous phone unlocked.”

Of course there are some stipulations to having your device unlocked. If you’re on a contract you’re not going be the happiest person: Your account must be in good standing and you “Have paid the un-subsidized / no term cost for the device at least 30 days prior OR have finished their Commitment Period”.
I think it should be free, but this is still progress. I would assume it does not include iPhones.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
I guess they didn't like the idea of losing all that money to 3rd party unlockers. ;)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
They did offer unlocking in the past, but it was at a hefty price. Seems like they must have re-negotiated this service and can now offer it cheaper.
Props!

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Rogers doesn't do anything to loosen their chokehold on its customers unless it feels threatened.

Methinks they sniff regulatory change in the air, and they're trying to skim as much money as possible before they become required to unlock phones after their contract period.

TorontoColin, why the assumption that iPhones are not included?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
This is good news for consumers. Last I heard, the industry was trying to make it illegal to unlock phones, though that may still happen. $50 does seem a bit steep. It can't take more than a few minutes to do it. But then these companies appear to want at least $50 for anything these days.

·
Registered
846 Posts
My understanding is it includes the iPhone, you call Fido/Rogers and set it up and they contact Apple and put the request in. Then you do a restore in iTunes and your phone is unlocked.

I also found this price list that puts it a tad bit higher than the $50

Alberta
$52.50 (with tax)

British Columbia
$56.00 (with tax)

Manitoba
$56.00 (with tax)

New Brunswick
$56.50 (with tax)

Newfoundland & Labrador
$56.50 (with tax)

Nova Scotia
$57.50 (with tax)

Ontario
$56.50 (with tax)

Prince Edward Island
$57.75 (with tax)

Québec
$56.44 (with tax)

Saskatchewan
$55.00 (with tax)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
fido used to charge $250 back in the day.
I guess the rational behind that is they are losing a customer so they want the phone cost subsidy back. That is ridiculous, of course, because they make the phone cost back with the contract. I priced cell phones with and without plans several years ago. It turned out to be $hundreds cheaper to buy the phone up front and use pay-as-you-go. And that was just in the first year. I've had the phone for 6 years. YMMV with data plans and heavy phone use.

IMHO, phone companies should be forced to unlock the phone at the end of the contract at no cost to the consumer. They locked it to enforce the contract but the phone is now the customer's property and should be fully accessible to them. I'm wondering if Rogers offered to unlock phones for $50 rather than face legislation that forced them to do so.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Well I see we do have progress. I have ulocked every phone I have ever gotten from Rogers and always paid no more than $15.00. So I kind of see it as a moot point as I always find a unlocker for way less than $50.00. But I guess most people are afraid and will pay the price to them (Rogers) as it is easier and no scare tactics will be used on them to have this service done on the phone.

Something morally and ethically wrong with paying them $50.00 for a simple number that should be provided once the commitment is finished or if you paid the full cost of the phone!!!!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
IMHO, phone companies should be forced to unlock the phone at the end of the contract at no cost to the consumer.
Doubt, you'll find anyone that disagrees with that sentiment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Unlocked my IPhone 3G this morning with Rogers, worked flawlessly. Did a restore with ITunes and a message even came up saying something like "congratulations your iPhone is unlocked". I would prefer it to be cheaper however I rather pay $50 than deal with the whole jailbreak/unlock issues.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
in the case of iPhone, I agree. It's better to pay legit unlock than jailbreak. But in terms of the rest of the phones, pay $5-$10 at fleabay and you're good to go. No need to pay the $50 fee.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
...have paid the un-subsidized / no term cost for the device at least 30 days prior OR have finished their Commitment Period
What about paying your ETF and getting an unlock? It should really be that same as the above, but technically it's not either one of those condition...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Once unlocked, can a 3G or 3GS continue to have the various firmware (IOS, baseband) updated via iTunes, or is there a risk that it might get re-locked?

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
the imei and sn are added 2 the white list on apple, so they will continue to update it and not re-lock it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts