Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is for discussion of Apple's iPhone 4 on either the Rogers or Fido network.

Availability

The iPhone 4 will be available from Rogers stores and authorized retailers starting July 30th. For now, it will not be available from the Rogers website or through Customer Service due to demand.

Pricing (16GB/32GB)

$159/$269 for new and/or out-of contract users signing up for a 3-year term
$399/$499 for Rogers iPhone users who signed up between Jan 1 2009 - June 7 2010

The new customer price is also applicable to those who bought an iPhone 3G in 2008 and then upgraded to the 3GS between June 19 - Sept. 15 2009.

Promotions

- $30 for 6GB of data (if you sign up before Sept 30, 2010)
- iPad data sharing for an additional $20/month
- $25 per additional line on a Family Share plan.

·
Registered
461 Posts
What a joke...

Unless you go to an Apple store, most people are going to be out of luck.
The Rogers near me got 10 in stock, and none of them 32GB.
Wirelesswave got 1...one phone for Rogers.
The Telephone Booth got tons for Bell and only 16 GB for Rogers.

After 3 years, you'd think Rogers would have their...poop...worked out. Nowhere near what they should have in stock, and once again, the system is down.

Not impressed.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You aren't alone in this one - lots of reports on Twitter about the Rogers activation issues right now.

As for quantities, that is surprising that stores like WirelessWave would have received far fewer Rogers devices than Bell or Telus. My guess is that Rogers was allocating most of them for their own stores (and even then, mostly for those who are upgrading from an older iPhone).

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I went to a Rogers Wireless store here in Victoria and was 15th in line.
They came out and told us there was limited supply. I figured "that's gotta mean - 20-30 at least".

Try 13. Big fail on Rogers for this launch. Was very surprised after that experience this am that the other carriers have plenty of stock.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Come on folks - don't be so quick to poop on Rogers when we don't know how many units Apple allocated of a device we know is in worldwide short supply. Of whatever number it gets, Rogers has to supply hundreds of stores and dealers across the country (Rogers has about as many subscribers as Telus and Bell combined) compared to the relatively few stores Wireless Wave and The Booth operate.

I would expect Apple is also reserving enough stock to ensure its own stores don't run out - why pay someone else to sell it when customers are lined up in your own store. I know this is small comfort to people living far from an Apple store, but there is the on-line store and delivery will take about 48 hours max and you get an unlocked device. Not a bad trade-off for a 48 hour wait.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Uhm, not sure why you're blaming Rogers... Apple hogged all the inventory for their own stores. It has nothing to do with Rogers.
Bellus seemed to have more because they have very very few customers that are on or going to their HSPA network, so they'll seemingly have more available.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Anyone with a iPhone4 that has the speedtest installed run a test on the 3g system.

My iPhone has a faster upload speeds then my Rogers 25/1 home service :confused: go figure ! I'm getting anywhere from 380-440 kB/s uploads speed and my downloads are anywhere from 250-770 kB/s for downloads.

Its a lot faster than my 3G & 3GS ever were.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The big issue here is how Rogers has handled the lack of devices. Each store knew the evening before the launch how many they had in stock. Why did they allow so many people to line up for hours if they knew the majority were not going to get one? I saw a line of 50 people for stock of 10. A sign stating how many there were would have saved a lot of wasted time.

Then there's the online hardware upgrade tool. It hasn't been working correctly since it was launched. I purchased all 3 iPhones on launch day and was eligible for the new customer pricing ($269), yet the online tool states a $499 price for the 32GB. A call to customer service and they too are seeing the same information. Its not until they go to their own Redboard site (not Rogers.com, it doesnt list this offer at all) that they are able to confirm the proper eligibility.

Even if you excuse Rogers for their lack of foresight in dealing with minimum stock AND their upgrade tool, you still have the issue with their activation systems. Its been 2 days and their system is STILL crashing. This is the 3rd year they have had to deal with an iPhone launch, yet they are making the same, if not more, mistakes than they have the past 2 years.

Rogers fail, big time.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
If they failed, why are you still with them and taking advantage of 3 new iPhones?
Cancel and go somewhere else, it's not that difficult. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are many reasons for choosing a wireless provider other than how they handle the launch of a phone. Furthermore, Rogers customers definitely have a right to complain about this issue - even more since it's affected all three iPhone launches.

Considering this is a thread to discuss the iPhone 4 on Rogers, it only makes sense to bring up the activation issues.

·
Registered
461 Posts
If they failed, why are you still with them and taking advantage of 3 new iPhones?
Cancel and go somewhere else, it's not that difficult.
That's a good point, however as BGY11 stated, theres much more to service than just the activation. I've been happy with my 6GB data plan, I love the MY5 etc. Overall, I'm happy with the service I get from Rogers...once I get the phone activated. Rogers as a whole has handled every iPhone launch very poorly...however prior to this iPhone4, as the only game in town (launch time), there was no choice as to the carrier, and I see no reason to drop Rogers simply because they dropped the ball getting the phone launched. If the service levels I receive during my contract drop, then I will consider moving to another provider.

·
Registered
221 Posts
does anybody know of any fido stores that have the iphone 4 in stock iam looking from hamilton to niagara falls thanks

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I would expect Apple is also reserving enough stock to ensure its own stores don't run out - why pay someone else to sell it when customers are lined up in your own store. I know this is small comfort to people living far from an Apple store, but there is the on-line store and delivery will take about 48 hours max and you get an unlocked device. Not a bad trade-off for a 48 hour wait.
When I went to place an order for an unlocked phone from Apple.ca on Friday, expected delivery was 3-5 weeks. I now see it's listed as three weeks.
Not quite the "48 hours max" that you suggest.
So I will continue to whine and complain about how Rogers handled the launch. As mentioned above, why - WHY - couldn't they have simply had a sign saying "thirteen iPhones available - 3 32Gb and 10 16GB"? If the line is longer than 13, you know you can head home and not waste your morning there.

·
Registered
300 Posts
When I went to place an order for an unlocked phone from Apple.ca on Friday, expected delivery was 3-5 weeks. I now see it's listed as three weeks.
Not quite the "48 hours max" that you suggest.
So I will continue to whine and complain about how Rogers handled the launch. As mentioned above, why - WHY - couldn't they have simply had a sign saying "thirteen iPhones available - 3 32Gb and 10 16GB"? If the line is longer than 13, you know you can head home and not waste your morning there.
Because every business loves to see a huge lineup to get into their store! I know it sucks for the customers who waited in line for nothing.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Correct. A bigger line in front of their store will give them more attention (and media recognition). It sucks for the consumer who has to wait a long time; only to find out they can't get an iPhone, but businesses love it.

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
If they had posted that sign prospective iPhone 4 owners might have attempted to go to Bell or Telus. They would rather attempt to sell them a different phone or speak to them in person about when they should come back.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just go to an APPLE store. I got mine at an APPLE store. 2 short hours in line. I spent the time chatting to the people in line with me. And an APPLE girl came by twice with treats for everyone in line. She stayed and chatted too. The APPLE dude spent 75 minutes with me explaining the different plans and features of the iPhone 4. It was an extremely pleasurable shopping experience.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Just go to an APPLE store.
Easier said than done. There ain't too many APPLE stores in Canada yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was at one the Rogers store last Sunday, inline wait for about 30 minutes, when it came to my turn, she said they are out of stock, but they still have a sign said limit 2 iphones 4 per account, then I said why don't you guy put the sign up OUT OF STOCK then people don't have to waste their time lining up, she said they are not allow to put up the sign OUT OF STOCK, I guess they just want to pretend that they have stock at all times, but that's not the fact.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts