Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of upgradeing my existing Rogers Express to Extreme Plus. I presently own an older cable modem (Motorola?) and a WRT54G router. Looks like I will need to upgrade to the SMC DOCIS 3 gateway. Also I have been a loyal (their words) Rogers customer since 1983, and have used Rogers high speed for approx 10 years. Has anyone called Rogers with the following questions, and where the answers helpful?

1) Do I have to use the Rogers SMC gateway, or can I purchase another DOCIS modem compatible with Rogers? Any recommendations of which DOCIS 3 modem to purchase and where (in Canada??)?

2) As an existing Rogers long term customer, any deals for upgrading? Free modem for a year etc.??? Anything??? Rogers is always giving stuff away for brand new customers but not existing customers.

3) If I have to use the Rogers SMC gateway, what are present users preference and recommendation; buy or rent from Rogers, pros and cons etc.

4) I have read several posts here about poor relaiabilty of the SMC gateway. Is that still the case or have things inproved?

·
Registered
387 Posts
1) You don't HAVE to, but it's very difficult to get a Rogers employee to add a non-SMC modem to their database. Some people talk about having gone through 10+ different CSRs and none of them know how to do it, some saying it can't be done (even though it HAS been done before). As for which other modem, the typical alternative is the Motorola 6120.

3) and 4) The router part of the SMC absolutely sucks. You need to get it into "dumb mode", i.e. modem-only and use your own router. People who do this report no problem whatsoever. You can get it done by logging in yourself in the gateway or calling Rogers and asking them to turn off the router part.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
As an existing Rogers long term customer, any deals for upgrading? Free modem for a year etc.??? Anything??? Rogers is always giving stuff away for brand new customers but not existing customers.
Probably not but it seems that if you call and threaten to cancel, you will get a deal.

I'm curious as to why are you changing packages?

I doubt you'll get more of a bandwidth cap since you are likely grandfathered on an older package with a higher cap, the upload difference is negligible and the download difference isn't a factor except on the odd download. (and the price of your old package is cheaper!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Cap

My present cap is 60G per month, have only gone over cap once this past summer with my son down loading movies etc. Has anyone out there been succesful in geting Rogers to recognize a non-Rogers modem?
The cap for extreme plus is 125 G. Yes its $70 compared to about $38 for Express

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Are you sure? As a subscriber for ten years, your bandwidth cap should be grandfathered so it will be much higher. You should investigate.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I can only answer regarding the SMC gateway, I've disabled the gateway functions so that it only acts as a modem as I have my own router (WRT600N) and I can say that I have no major complaints with the SMC in this setup. I'm using Ultimate package and I can pull in about 6MB/sec which is phenomenal to me. The only downside is the cap at times (175GB) just doesn't cut it still...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Express Cap

Hugh
For sure my cap is 60G on the Express package, I can't say for sure if it was higher in the past as I only started keeping an eye on my downloada this past summer. What do you think it shoud be as a long term Rogers internet customer?

·
Registered
699 Posts
I dont think they care about how long you have been a customer. The caps are set per package regardless of how long you had such package. The main reason I dropped Cable internet like a hot potato.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hugh
For sure my cap is 60G on the Express package, I can't say for sure if it was higher in the past as I only started keeping an eye on my downloada this past summer. What do you think it shoud be as a long term Rogers internet customer?
Contact Rogers and ask for extra Bandwidth on your existing Extreme Package, it is avaliable 25 GB for extra $5/month so instead of 60 GB you will get 85 GB and this way you don't have to upgrade

·
Registered
322 Posts
Can I add extra bandwidth to old Extreme (95GB) plan?

Contact Rogers and ask for extra Bandwidth on your existing Extreme Package, it is avaliable 25 GB for extra $5/month so instead of 60 GB you will get 85 GB and this way you don't have to upgrade
I've had Extreme for a long time and my cap has stayed at 95GB - I guess I'm grandfathered on an older plan since the current Extreme has an 80GB cap.

Can I also get an extra 25GB for $5/month (to bring me to 120GB total) or would I lose my grandfathered plan and end up with the current Extreme's 80GB + 25 GB?

I could go to Extreme Plus, but don't really need the extra speed nor the expense of a new cable modem.

Edit: I called Rogers customer support and the CSR did not know anything about the extra bandwidth. Do I need to speak with retentions to get this add-on?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
3) and 4) The router part of the SMC absolutely sucks. You need to get it into "dumb mode", i.e. modem-only and use your own router. People who do this report no problem whatsoever. You can get it done by logging in yourself in the gateway or calling Rogers and asking them to turn off the router part.
Sorry, but "report no problem whatsoever" with the SMC unit is not quite right.

If you are running Windows Home Server with the SMC, you have to do a lot of extra work to access your stuff from remove. Not nice at all!

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I can only answer regarding the SMC gateway, I've disabled the gateway functions so that it only acts as a modem as I have my own router (WRT600N) and I can say that I have no major complaints with the SMC in this setup. I'm using Ultimate package and I can pull in about 6MB/sec which is phenomenal to me. The only downside is the cap at times (175GB) just doesn't cut it still...
Is this hard to do - does Rogers put a password on the config for the Gateway? I want to upgrade to Ultimate, but I sure don't want to lose the functionality of my existing modem and I don't Rogers to have any control over that.

Can you use it as just a modem and a WAP? I don't mind using the WAP functionality on the unit but I want to stick to my old WRT54G unit with upgraded firmware.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Yes, there is a special userid/password required to put it in gateway mode. They are:

user: rogcesadmin
password: wra8uje

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
As far as I know you have to get the SMC3GDN in order to get the full Extreme Plus bandwidth.

I haven't bothered to get a standalone router yet. The SMC seems to be working OK for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts