Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI here if you're an existing, longer-term customer with the Rogers Extreme Internet plan.

I recently noticed that the Extreme plan ($59.99/month) is listed at 15 Mb/s down, even though I'm still maxing out at 10 Mb/s under my existing Extreme plan.
http://www.rogers.com/web/link/hispeedBrowseFlowDefaultPlans

Here are some random bits I gathered after calling them:

-The Extreme plan was upgraded on July 21st to 15 Mb/s from the original 10 Mb/s.

-You require a new modem to obtain the higher speeds. This is likely the same modem required for their Ultimate and Extreme Plus plans.

-The model rental fee increases to $7/month on the new modem, as opposed to $3 on the existing (Motorola SB5100) modem.

-There is no plan to annouce the upgrade to existing plan customers who originally signed up for 10 Mb/s.

I'm not overly pleased by this, since at this point I'm quietly getting the max down speeds associated with their lower Express Plan, which is only $46.99/month.

In my opinion, I've been overcharged ~$13 month, for just about exactly 3 months. Not a lot of money, but nontheless I think it isn't exactly fair.

I'm currently deciding if I want to pay an extra $4 each month to get an extra 5 Mb/s down. If you think about it, the 4 bucks gives a significant bandwidth return.

I'm also deciding if I want to force the issue with Rogers billing re the overcharging.

In any event, just passing along what I've found. You may wish to upgrade your modem.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I really don't think you would really notice the extra 5 mb/s down. Unless you need the higher cap, I'd consider downgrading and save $15 a month

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yep. Higher speed, lower cap. Rogers Logic at its finest. That's why I decided to stay on my 10 mbps plan. That, and the fact that the SMC modem they force you to get is absolutely worthless.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
^^^^
I'm also sticking with the 10 Mb plan and the Motorola modem I purchased a few years back.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I called Rogers, and complained that I had been essentially paying for 15 Mb/s and getting 10 since July.

They gave me $15/month credit, for 4 months. I also opted for the Express plan, which is cheaper, but at the same 10 Mb/s I had been using anyway. (I don't need the higher cap, and I"m not concerned about the minor change to upload.)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Good to know. My retention deal (30% off) is coming due for renewal next month, and since Teksavvy cable isn't (yet) an option for me, I'm stuck on Extreme, perhaps at full price if I don't want to lock in for another year.

No way I'm taking the 'new' plan though, don't want the lower caps or the SMC modem.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have been on the extreme plus for about 3/4 a year now. I use the smc modem. To be honest, when I first got the modem, I disabled everything, and used my own router to handle wireless and lan stuff. That being said, a few months ago, I removed the router and ran everything through the smc.

I admit, i was expecting serious issues, or annoyances. So far, I can report, none. Is it the greatest wireless N, Gigabit Ethernet, modem combo. No. If you spend a few minutes setting everything up, I found no serious problems. In fact, my streaming of mkv 10+ gig files to my oppo, and other network traffic has been perfect. No downtime experienced with my lan or wireless at all. All my switches have worked great with this too!!

I think Rogers did a firmware update to fix a problem where the modem needed to be reset often. No issues with that anymore either.

Again, SMC is not the best, but, its also not the worst! Keep in mind folks, this is coming from a guy who has also had no issues with Vista on 3 PC's and a home server running 24/7. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just discovered this post and found it very informative. This was posted on the Rogers.com site as a footnote:

*Note for Extreme customers: If you signed up for Extreme before July 21st, 2010, your download speed remains at 10 Mbps and your usage allowance remains at 95 GB.

So it seems our options are:
1) Keep the old Extreme 10 down/1 up service and 95GB cap
2) Change to the new Extreme 15 down/1 up service and 80GB cap

My question is, will we need a new modem for the 15 down/1 up service? I currently have the Motorola SB5100 modem (purchased). Thanks!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yes, you need the more expensive, DOCSIS 3 modem to get the 15/1 speeds.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm on the 10/95 plan using an old SA modem I bought off of them years ago. I tried upgrading via the web to Extreme Plus but it wouldn't take hold. I was told I'd need to get the new modem by customer service. I'm still debating because most month the 95 gb is good enough. The increased speed is less important.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am on the old Extreme plan with the Motorola SB-5100 modem and consistently get 15/1 speeds. I used to get 10/1 but around the time they introduced the "new" Extreme plan it went up to 15/1.

Do other old Extreme users see the same thing?

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
^^^^
I just checked and got 9.99 Mb/s down and 999 Kb/s up, so it appears I'm still getting 10/1 service.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
My plan seems to be called Hi-Speed Extreme with UA. They gave me this package which includes 115GB when I complained that the 60GB caps were low enough that I couldn't use services like Live, PSN, and Netflix without worrying that I would go over the cap, and that for much less money I could have 200GB with Teksavvy. They did send me a new modem/router despite me saying that I really only cared about the headroom for bandwidth, and followed posts on here for disabling the router portion. I seem to see nearly 30Mbps at speed test although I'm not sure if that is influenced by some juicing for the early part of a download.

This package would have cost more, but they cut 30% off my home phone, cable and internet for 1 year, 15% in the second year so that even the second year is less money than before. I have to say that I haven't really noticed that much in terms of great speed benefits, torrents are still randomly really slow where my 5mbps at the cottage with Teksavvy downloads them in a flash (same 5 gb file which I tried for days to get traction on with rogers finished in a few hours when I went up north for the weekend). Gaming isn't much different either, was working fine before. So basically it is really just the extra 55GB of bandwidth that is worth it.

However (and I'll do some more searching on here for similar issues), this weekend I found a strange slowdown in downloading movies from PSN, the first one early last night was fine (we started at 5% done and played to the end without a hiccup), the second one took longer than the runtime so it had to be paused for an extended period, and one we tried tonight showed an estimated 5 HOURS to complete. Unless the PSN has an issue, this looks like Rogers deliberately throttling their internet service for competition to their cable service VOD. Funny I complained to them a week ago that their VOD pricing was too high compared to the competition and now this happens, maybe I should have kept my mouth shut! Is there a place to complain to the CRTC or whatever for such anti-competitive practices?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Speedboost seems to have been enabled in at least some parts of Ottawa. I'm on the Richmond phub (RCHRD), and after rebooting my modem (SB5100) I now get higher speeds for the first 10 seconds (about 17-18 mbps), at which point speeds settle back down to 10 mbps. I'm on the old Extreme, BTW.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
In another thread, someone mentioned a new Shaw test site. I'm on Rogers and I thought I'd give that site a try. When I last checked my bandwidth, a couple of days ago, it was almost bang on the 10 Mb down and 1 up that I'm paying for. On the Shaw site, I got 14.7 down and about 0.8 up. I decided to try the Rogers site again and got 17.8 down. I then tried the speedtest.net site and got 28.33 Mb/s down!!! Normally, speedtest closely agrees with Rogers at around 10 Mb down and 1 up. Very curious. I'll have to run some tests, to see if that holds up over longer duration transfers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I tried again after rebooting my modem. On speedtest I get 25/1. Quite the difference although it only lasts for 5 or 10 seconds before settling back. On the Shaw site, I get about 12/1.

·
Registered
387 Posts
That's the idea for Speedboost. It's not meant to help you download files faster. It's meant to speed up your browsing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts