Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I found a notice taped to the front door of my condo apartment that says: "Notice of Entry to Suite #xxx -- Please be advised that Rogers Cable will be on-site to perform their equipment upgrade on the following days: Monday October 18, 2010, between the hours of 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM."

I called up Rogers to ask what upgrade they're talking about and if they can give me a smaller window. The CSR looked into my account and said that she could find no reason why I require a visit from Rogers and therefore couldn't explain what they'll be upgrading nor could she give me a smaller window for their arrival.

I'd contact the management office of my building, but they're closed on the weekends.

Has anyone else ever gotten one of these notices? Any idea what this upgrade entails? (For what it's worth, the only Rogers stuff I have in the house is an HDPVR (that I own), two SD settop boxes (free rental) and a Rogers modem.)

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The Upgrade I would assume is the Cableing in yor area, everything is going to Fibre optiques. So Rogers can roll out the next phase of Channels.

The Next possible is your area in the 1000mhz or the old 750mhz?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the Jane & Eglinton area of Toronto, and have no idea if that's a 1000mhz or 750mhz area.

Do you know any idea exactly what they need to do once they're in my apartment?

cheers,
supervij

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Most of Ontario (Major centers but not all smaller towns) has been built out to 860 (not 1000) MHz. They could be upgrading the wiring if it's RG59 to RG6 say. Your presence may not be necessary if the management has the right to enter your suite for such instances... How old is your building - if 20+ years, then it was probably wired with RG59, which may not be adequate for newer services, especially in longer runs like apartments.

The new wiring would probably be just "to" the suite (a service box in your suite) and not "inside" the suite since those short runs are usually fine. If any filters were installed for basic cable customers, they may also require removal for any digital customers as they can sometimes cause issues with SDV. These are often located in a central location, but not always.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information, 57. My building is indeed more than 20 years old, so this RG6 upgrade must be necessary.

I'm darn well gonna be home for it, though. They may not need to touch my PVR or home theatre, but I'm gonna be there to make sure they don't!

cheers,
supervij

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
^^^^
Also make sure they don't start stapling cables all over the place!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, they came by yesterday, two hours into the EIGHT-hour window. Turns out they just need to get into the small cable boxes that are on the walls -- where the cabling comes into the apartment from the walls. I don't know what exactly they were upgrading. I did ask if they were upgrading us from RG59 to RG6 and they guy said no, they were doing a small upgrade that would basically make HD channels look better, hopefully more like Bell's HD.

So later in the day, my gf and I watched a little Dancing With The Stars on ABC-West HD. No significant change -- still with the macroblocking during the fast moving scenes. Maybe the upgrade will be more noticeable when they've finished with every apartment in the building? We'll see. Anyway, thanks for the info, everyone!

cheers,
supervij

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Perhaps some splitters needed replacing, or filters removed. It would have been nice to know exactly what they did. It's possible, for example, that the splitters were not rated highly enough for the current bandwidth, which usually affects the higher frequencies, many of which are used for the HD channels. There are also special splitters that are utilized for people with broadband connections where the loss on the drops can be tailored appropriately.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts