Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was excited by the announcement of the Blackberry Pearl Flip phone (no release date yet), and started looking into Blackberry plans with Rogers.

The Flip supports wi-fi, but Rogers will not allow access to Blackberry Internet Services (e-mail, IM) over a user's home wi-fi connection. All data usage is counted against the wireless data plan. The cheapest data plan on Rogers offers an anemic 4MB per month. Disappointing to say the least.

Their TalkSpot plan allows unlimited local voice calling over wi-fi, but does not include data, for $15. For $7, I can get the early-evening unlimited option and achieve the same thing (I'm not home during the day to benefit from unlimited calling with TalkSpot).

Come on Rogers. How about for a few extra bucks, you open up unlimited data through a customer's home wi-fi? Even then, it doesn't feel right to have to pay extra to use Internet services I'm already paying for! ($44.95 Rogers Hi-Speed Express)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Hey Ted has to earn a living :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
The Flip supports wi-fi, but Rogers will not allow access to Blackberry Internet Services (e-mail, IM) over a user's home wi-fi connection.
Are you sure this is Rogers' decision to make? Could it just be how the phone works?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a Blackberry Bold and data does indeed go through my home wi-fi connection - and is unlimited while on wi-fi (i.e. not charged to my monthly wireless data plan)

What I believe you are trying to say is that you need to have a Blackberry data plan if you want to be able to access Blackberry services, even if its only over wi-fi, and of course this should be the case.

Your account has to be provisioned with Blackberry services and in doing so, Rogers informs RIM of your existence and allows your phone to access RIM's infrastructure for e-mail, browsing etc. (RIM charges Rogers a monthly fee for this.) Why would Rogers / RIM give you access to that unless you are paying a fee for Blackberry data? RIM's infrastructure comes into play whether you are accessing it via the cell network or over your wi-fi connection.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My Bold is tied to a corporate BES server, and I do get my e-mails via wi-fi. Even though it's a corporate BES it still has to go through RIM's servers, so there should be a good chance that your e-mails would go through as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm not saying that I expect BB services without paying. I would expect that a portion of Roger's Voice & Email plan (the $45 plan that I'm looking at) would go to RIM for BB provisioning and services. After that, I would expect access to be independent of network provider or wi-fi.

No, my disappointment was more based on this wording on RIM's website:

"Imagine being able to check your email, shop online, make phone calls and stream video on your smartphone without being connected to your service provider’s cellular network...Whether you set up a wireless network at home or use a public hotspot, Wi-Fi® gives you access to all of your BlackBerry® services."

But in the fine print:

"Not all BlackBerry plans support Wi-Fi access to BlackBerry services."

This says RIM wants to promote their wi-fi capability to access BB services, but ultimately it's up to the provider. Rogers chooses to live in the fine print.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got Rogers 8220 wi-fi unlocked

I did it, after some research I was able to wipe all data for the 8220 using a Java JDE 4.7 software, and downloaded the firmware from t-mobile for the exact bb. Then unlocked it and it worked no problem, the block was from Rogers firmware.

btw, your forum helped a lot, cause Im using Videotron, and with them theres is no data plans so I was kinda sad when I saw ur thread and it helped me to go further in my investigation cause I knew by then the "where to start" so thank you.

Pascal

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
you need a BIS account to get a black berry services, so to get one, you must subscribe to a blackberry plan every month... but if you are strictly using hotspot mode on your phone, bis WILL WORK and connect to the net, even if you turned off your data

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rogers blocking WIFI on my BB

Hi All,
This year I ordered the new Bold from Rogers I love it. Its really a great phone. I added the unlimited email and BBM as my data plan, but I figured since I have Wifi (RogersHigh speed Internet). I was not going to pay the outrageous data pricing to have internet on my phone when about 90% of the time I have wireless access available already and the phone has WiFi.
My Facebook application worked and everything seemed fine, Until I went away on business and tried to access WiFi on Telus and Bell Hotspots. They were supposed to work but somehow Rogers blocked access to the main page. My laptop would connect fine on the same pages. I spoked to Rogers and they said they could not guarantee the reliability of other networks hotspots and If they unblcoked them and If the connections dropped I may be charged Data if they phone resorts back to 3G. So eventually they admited to blocking other networks hotspots after spending about an hour on the phone with several representatives. At first they denied it! I was pretty upset and canceled my Data plan from them. When I had a data plan from Rogers my email BBM, and facebook all worked on WiFi I tried it when I was roaming and did not want to pay roaming. But since I cancelled the Data plans they still worked for a bit. But when I updated my OS Rogers blocked all of these in the new version. Is there anything I can do? I heard people downloaded American and UK versions of the OS and there WIFI works. Could anyone send me a link to a other OS that may work? or has anyone figured out how to crack it? I am sure there is a file that if deleted on the phone the WIFI would work? Any ideas appreciated.
I am not usually looking for cracks but, I pay Rogers Cable, Internet, Wireless and Home Phone and for them to block options that I pay Rogers almost 50 per month for internet at home. And I dont think its fair Rogers and Rim offer WIFI phones and then block access to them! Even if I cant get my WIFI working at least people will know how there Monopolies control Everything!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Be aware folks that while roaming WiFi data charges may apply. This is STUPID you say? I agree yet a friend who is very savy with his BB was charged $48 for Roaming charges while vacationing in the DR. To make sure he was not accidentally using 3G he turned the 3G radio off. When he questioned Rogers he was told that WiFi while roaming does attract charges.

Does anyone else have any input into this as it sounds stupid or by turning the 3G radio is it possible the EDGE protocol uses a different radio over which the user has no on/off control?

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
rogers is not blocking anything. if the wifi hotspot choses to have a login page, then it wont work with your phone the wifi hotspot has to fix it, not roger's.
the wifi on the berry does not know about the login page, nor does it understand how to connect to it, dotn be blaming rogers when its not their fault, i mean im not trying to defend rogers but if its clearly the mis-management of the hotspot, then blame them.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Well obviously most hotels and some wifi hotspots require you to make a username and password to connect. Since the BB 8220 can't display html(with the native browser), you won't be able to connect. In no way does Rogers have anything to do with this. Download the opera mini browser and try then, since this will display the full html page.

·
Registered
86 Posts
What I believe you are trying to say is that you need to have a Blackberry data plan if you want to be able to access Blackberry services, even if its only over wi-fi, and of course this should be the case.
RIM (together with Rogers) should realize that of course this should not be the case. That is, I have total access to similar services and exchanges with my WinMo device, and I suspect iPhone users do as well ... and I had Rogers actually block my data so that I woundn't be charged for wifi usage.

·
Registered
146 Posts
FWIW:
When I initially installed my SIM but did not yet change my Data services over to the new Bold, I had full WiFi available without the data service.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts