Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
1,219 Posts
Hey guys...I'm a complete computer moron so I have no idea what you're talking about.:confused:

However yesterday and today I've noticed a lack of ability to access like 80-90 percent of websites. I'm on Rogers "high speed".

Is this what you're taling about? Is there a fix or should I wait on Rogers to fix the problem.

J

· Member #1
45,856 Posts
I'm having a lot of problems today too. Thought it was me til I saw this thread.

PFD, simply speaking DNS stands for Domain Name Service. Its what allows your computer to find the website that you are requesting. If its not working then when you make a webpage request you'll get a domain not found message.

It appears to be working now for me.

· Member #1
45,856 Posts
hmm, take that back, Still having problems :(

· Super Moderator
59,102 Posts
Had a similar problem months ago with some server in the US. This sort of issue should be detected in minutes and users re-routed. Perhaps the amount of traffic is limiting this as an option.

I also noticed it started late yesterday to a number of US sites. I haven't had much issue with Canadian sites, but when I go to the US sites... I often have issues. Guess it depends on the routing (may not be US/Canada but that was a trend for me).

I haven't bothered running a traceroute, but that should track the issue.

· Registered
49 Posts
I was still having the same problems this morning so I checked Broadband reports forums and one of the members recommended changing your dns to use verizons servers 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 (change the setting in your router or in windows network settings). I did and I'm back to normal surfing again. Hopefully Rogers will get this fixed soon, but with the holidays they are probably not fully staffed.

· Member #1
45,856 Posts
Strange that some websites work fine (google for example, and Rogers' own homepage) and most others don't
Well there are reasons for that but you'd need to want to learn more about how the internet works for that!

· Registered
546 Posts
I am also having trouble accessing websites. About half I've tried come up SERVER NOT FOUND.

Switched to Verizon. Works fine. Thanks. (MY goodness, is this how fast the internet can actually be - and with ultralite? I had no idea?) Why would I not use this all of the time?

· Registered
1,237 Posts
Heh, I came here to post and ask if others were having DNS issues...sigh...I guess I'll try Verizon's for a bit.

· Member #1
45,856 Posts
I got fed up and changed my DNS also.

For those wondering.

Go into your Routers configuration. I have D-link so I looked under WAN settings and there was a box called "Primary DNS Address"

IN my case it was blank so I filled in 4.2.2.1 and I put 4.2.2.2 in the Secondary DNS address box.

Pressed Apply and the router restarted and I was working again.

· Registered
1,510 Posts
I've been using the Verizon DNS servers for a few months now (didn't know they were Verizons at the time) as I had a similar problem in the past with the Rogers DNS taking way too long to resolve sites.

At one point, my router would show two Rogers supplied DNS servers, but at some point in the last 6 months or so they dropped one of them. Nothing like having a single point of failure.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.