Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
61 - 80 of 95 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
With all due respect, this is not grinding an axe, its about someone damaging my property. If the city paid for paving my driveway then I would have nothing to say, but they don't - I do...

To quote the city "The contractor must leave the property in the condition it was found".

In the examples you quoted about your sister, she had every right to pursue it - and did she? If nobody follows up on these situations nothing will change.

Rogers makes money by having the cable buried under my driveway. The subcontractor gets paid for performing the work. I have to PAY to maintain the property!

I just want my driveway restored. Simple as that. It will not happen on its own.

Cheers

· Registered
86 Posts
Airman, don't feel bad.

My driveway is OK, but I will tell you a little story about my recent rogers experience. I don't subscribe to rogers either. And, yes, I have a giant antenna on the back of my house.

So I come home from a successful week of hunting to find a 2 foot high pile of dirt by a spanking brand new buried cable box at the end of my driveway - a BIG pile. Similar piles of dirt (but smaller) from torpedoing across my three neighbours lawns to the east of me.

This work was done Monday November 8th.

I call on the 11th and they open a ticket. C28836574 in case Rogers is reading this. I am promised a call back within 48 hours. I was very pleasant and the agent seemed to enjoy the conversation.

Those 48 hours pass.

I call back on the 19th and speak to the same agent in "Cable TV Repair" - again... same agent. She escalates me to "Liz in the Management Office" I explain, it's getting on winter time and it's going to freeze and become a bloody mess, this should have been completed and not left like this, it's a hazard, there are no pylons or cones even to prevent a trip or fall, and while it is on the city owned part of my property, if someone hurts themselves, I will be party to a lawsuit and frankly, I want none of it.

She says she's on it.

One week later (today) and nothing. Nothing. No cones, no removal of the piles, no nothing. The dirt is going to wind up in the street tonight and wind up clogging the sewers. So far I've accidentally ran over it on two occasions with the truck as it is right bloody there and I normally run over it getting into my angled driveway (I live on a crecent).

I think I will call back later today. Maybe. I seriously don't have the time for this crap.

That feels better.

End of rant.

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with an "Area Manager" named Diane. She explains that there is NO PHONE NUMBER for the repairs department, and they can only contact via email - which has been tried and is obviously not working. Evidently the office of the president doesn't have a phone number to contact the "repairs" either. Wow. Just wow. So, what's my next step, councilor (which in my area has never been of assistance anyway on one other matter), and / or Toronto Works? How do I light a fire under someone's arse? It strikes me as amazing that when I asked Diane to pickup a phone and call someone at repairs that "she cannot do that, the bucks stops here and this is the only way to contact them" - for some reason, I just do not believe that one iota.

· Registered
9 Posts
That's Pretty Bad...

That sounds like another nightmare... I'll bet there are many other stories out there as well.

My sympathies go out to you mkmorris:(.

I can now tell that the cut in my driveway has been partly filled with some kind of spongy crap. I guess that means its been fixed. I feel much better now.

Sorry but I'm really not impressed. I will likely never actually hear from Rogers.

Thank goodness there are many alternatives out there for phone, TV and internet.

I hope others don't get messed around, but if it should happen - make some noise :eek:. Maybe someone will hear...

Cheers

· Registered
1 Posts
Rogers Cable

I have entrusted Rogers with all of my communications services and was assured that they would meet or exceed Bell Canada's phone service levels. In all the years of Bell service, there was one problem that was resolved within 8 hours of reporting it.
I reported a cable outage on Thursday Nov. 3rd. ( all my service were out) and was informed that the earliest appointment would be between 8 and 11 on Saturday morning. Two days before service could be restored. We have had Rogers phone service for less than a year. A phone that to this day still has static hiss all the time.
While I was looking for the problem Thursday Nov. 3rd, I noticed a cable coming from the neighbours house running hundreds of feet through the forest. The cable was strung at about 2 feet off the ground. This trip wire was attached to my house. Not only did they not notify me, they literally installed the cable running from the woods across my lawn at a hight of about 2 feet. This could have been a real problem with my elderly mother walking around. This is outrageous, incompetent behaviour. I removed this hazard from my property.
Come Saturday morning, when their sub contractor was to arrive, we sat waiting from 8 am til 11 am. No sign of "the cable guy". I place a call to Rogers. The rep on the phone informs me that the appointment was cancelled and would have to be rescheduled. I spoke with the manager and they reschedule for the 2pm to 5pm slot. Now we get to spent the afternoon waiting as well.
Rogers subcontractor arrives a little after 2pm. He informs me that he has to repair the house next door before restoring my service and that he will be dragging another cable through the woods and onto my property to accomplish this. I strongly suggested he use the proper connection at the street. Off he went and connected the neighbour's service to the equipment at the road as he should have done in the first place.
He then returns to my problem some time later and placed the temp cable. Our services are restored. However there is now a cable lying on my lawn (in harms way) until the outside crew can come out, remove and trash the temp cable replacing it with the proper cable type.
You would think this would be the end off a very bad experience. It wasn't. I look out the window today (Monday Nov. 7th) there is a cable technician unannounced, wandering aimlessly around my driveway. He did not seem to know what he was doing here so I assured him our services were operating and unless he was planning to burry the cable, there was nothing for him to do here.
Further, a somewhat arrogant Rogers manager has informed me that the $50 fee that appeared on my bill was for my removing the trip wire they place without permission on my property.
This note and an assurance that if we are going to continue with Roger services I insist that no one from their organization set foot on my property without notifying me, has been sent to the office of the President.
It will be interesting see if anything can get these disfunction companies to even try to do the right thing.

· Registered
2 Posts
who owns your tree anyways?

Don't you just love it when you see them coming to do line repair?
So last week Optilinx shows up to fish wire underground, blows through cable ,phone and power lines.
These guys told me they where doing work for Rogers.
Next cable trucks, power trucks and bell trucks show up.
long story short we now have holes all over some 4 feet deep
I own the only large tree in the area.
2 different cable guys fish 3 different cable lines through my tree and to the neighbours homes.
What am I allowed to do about the lines?
My tree, can I cut them out when I prune the tree?;)
Rogers tell me that they will not burry a line till the spring.:eek:

Stuck up a tree with to many lines
greengrass

· Member #1
45,856 Posts
greengrass, recommend you read through this thread (which I have merged your post into) and search on "bury" in this forum for other similar discussions then perhaps decide what you should do.

· Registered
2 Posts
phoned Rogers......we will get back to you in 48 hrs
Rogers guy shows up...........laughs at mess and says not his job to clean it up
phoned Rogers and told them you have 24 hours then I will remove all your cable and you can pick it up at the road.............2 hrs later they show up and removed it all and installed it as it should have been in the first place.

Just goes to show the power of wire cutters.
Still have holes all over but the city will get involved today.
greengrass

· Registered
2 Posts
No decency

I was getting my driveway redone and it was initially 'dug up' at the end of April 2012. A cable of some sort was cut during that demolition. Someone from Rogers came and hung an ugly cable in my tree and across the front of my house and left it like that for some time. They would have seen that the driveway was gravel at the time they installed that cable and had they any common sense or decency, they would have done what they needed to do with the cable at that time. But no...they waited...a LONG time! My driveway was not paved until the end of August, that is 4 MONTHS!! So I had my nice driveway that I waited 4 months for and paid $500 to get replaced (only that cheap because I know the owner) and I only got to enjoy it for a month before I came home from a hockey tournament to find my driveway cut along the bottom!!! Seriously?! No decency whatsoever! That cold patch crap will not last and the rain and ice will inevitably get in the crack and lift my brand new driveway. The worst part about it is that it could have been avoided SO easily had they just done the job BEFORE my driveway was replaced...I am disgusted with this entire situation and with Rogers!!!!!!

· Registered
1,463 Posts
The Rogers techs that are dispatched to fix issues like this to not have the tools to bury a drop, therefore a temp line is always done and then it is buried when the resources are available. When temp lines are buried, they usually send a team to the streets that require it and they bury them all at once.

· Registered
2 Posts
Fine...I get that..but given the fact that it was 4 months, one would think that they might make some sort of notation on the order to let them know. I don't even have cable...why do I have to suffer with a cut up driveway that is BRAND NEW?! Sorry....was brand new...it certainly isn't now! And isn't it nice that they wait and do it all at once for THEIR convenience...what about for MY convenience? Better yet, what about for the maintenance of MY new driveway?!

· Registered
5,732 Posts
Fine...I get that..but given the fact that it was 4 months, one would think that they might make some sort of notation on the order to let them know. I don't even have cable...why do I have to suffer with a cut up driveway that is BRAND NEW?! Sorry....was brand new...it certainly isn't now! And isn't it nice that they wait and do it all at once for THEIR convenience...what about for MY convenience? Better yet, what about for the maintenance of MY new driveway?!
Yeah I agree with CDecker, its not difficult to come in and bury a line, but 4 months? that is kind of rediculous. that is more like bad management or dispatch. it has nothing to do with policy, the policy is just there to cover up their bad practices. if employees and companies would just do a good job, then there would be a lot less complaints

There comes a point when rogers needs to realize, do they care about making money and having so many angry customers, or maybe making slightly less but still good money, and having a hell of a lot more satisfied customers.

· Registered
3,426 Posts
Did you call for a locate before your guys dug up the driveway in April? If not, it's your fault for cutting their cable in the first place. Granted, after that it shouldn't have taken that long to resolve the problem.

· Registered
9,064 Posts
Better yet, what about for the maintenance of MY new driveway?!
If it was on the easement, it wasn't your property that was dug up. Utilities have a right to run along that narrow strip beside the road, whether you're a customer or not. Generally, your property ends where it reaches the sidewalk, if not before.

· Registered
3,339 Posts
You'd be surprised, usually the muncipality line is a lot further in from the road than you think often as far as 20' from the curbline. Often what people think of as their property or front lawn is really not. By the way no company, Rogers or Bell or any other can just dig, they need the required permits, and locates must be performed first. Usually they can bore, or torpedo under a driveway without causing any issue with the driveway.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.