Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

· Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Looking at my webpage logs I'm now seeing may other sites have picked up on my story on DHC as seen here,

http://www.p2pnet.net/story/26412

As for why all this happened in the first place the answer I received from GTA Manager of Quality Assurance was that when I called back in April to get the wire they had strung through my tree back in December removed, that was going to a neighbours home not mine, Rogers issued a 'burial order' for that cable... OK to make a long story short they came and buried it a few days later back in April only because by the 4th call I told them I would rip it down myself if it's not gone in 2 days... and in 2 days it was... so from what I'm being told now there was this burial order generated back then that was still active and given to this subcontractor that showed up last week (July) to 'fix my cable' which I don't have. So all of this was just a huge mix-up because as I was also told Rogers deals with 4 different subcontractor companies so I guess it gets hard to keep track of things?. I sure hope Rogers learned something from this... as I was also told they are now going to make sure the subcontractors first check that the address has Rogers services before they dig up the driveway and lawn. As for the 'Leakage' comment on the work order that was unknown as to why it said that...:rolleyes:

· Registered
9 Posts
Rogers Digs up my Driveway - Again

First of all, I'm not a Rogers customer... There is a reason for that, but this isn't the time for that story...

When I arrived home from work today I noticed that Rogers had removed the overhead cable strung across my driveway and buried in my driveway.

To say that I was pissed off would be an understatement. I found this thread about exactly the same issue in this forum:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=110313&highlight=driveway

I saw the folks posting their opinions one way and the other and find it both amusing and disturbing that Rogers would mess with people like this - and that some people seem not to care.

Several years ago this same problem came up and a contractor showed up at my home informing me that a cable replacement was required and that they needed to make a small cut at the end of my driveway to do the repair... I watched them do the work (never seen this done before) and thought nothing of it. It was pretty inconspicuous.

My bad... I'm old enough that I should know better. Having lived my entire life in Southern Ontario - I should know about winter and how the freeze/thaw thing works with anything in the ground...

After two seasons, my driveway was showing signs of breakage where the gap was cut between the driveway and the curb. After a couple more seasons, chunks of asphalt were breaking up and the end of the driveway looked pretty bad. The rest of the driveway was fine...

So last year I had the driveway done again by a high end paving company that did a really nice job. It cost me dearly, but I figured it was worth it because I shouldn't need to do anything but seal it for the next couple of decades. I'll be dead by then anyway...:eek:

So... here we go again. Rogers shows up while I'm away, cuts the nice driveway, leaves a strip of dirt at the end... I know how this is going to go...

Thanks Rogers you guys are a piece of work...

· Registered
699 Posts
The unfortunate part is your driveway is only your property until the property line. They can have access to the city part...but there should be laws governing what they can do. Call the city to complain that is why we pay property taxes. Best thing is to make the end of the driveway out of 6" thick reinforced concrete hehe...would like to see them try to cut that out. Patching it will not work in the long run with the freeze-thaw cycles.

· Registered
7,114 Posts
I would get it repaired by the company who did the original work, if only to prevent further deterioration. Then, send the bill to Rogers. If they don't pay, file a claim in small claims court for the full amount of the work to repair the original damage plus the cost of repairs to the subsequent damage. I'd love to see them hauled over the coals for such shoddy cable work.

· Registered
9 Posts
Good Suggestions...

Thank you for your replies!

I have contacted Rogers and the city by email. No one is open on the weekends... I will try Rogers by phone on Monday, but I can't afford to spend 45 minutes on the phone during working hours. That's how long it took the last time I contacted them when their overhead cable dropped across my driveway and blocked access...

I will call my paving contractor as well since I suspect if I leave it to someone else a not-so-handy-person will arrive to perform a repair with whatever they happen to have in their truck.

This situation must happen all the time. Unfortunate that a businesses doesn't recognize the value in doing something right the first time.

I'll update the forum with news of whatever happens...

Cheers

· Registered
9 Posts
I spoke with Rogers today. The only thing they could do is open a ticket and promise that someone would contact me within two days.

The city informed me that the driveway must be returned to the same condition in which it was found. If things don't pan out they will intervene.

Cheers

· Registered
9 Posts
Nothing Today

I'm waiting for Rogers to contact me under the ticket that has been assigned for the problem. They said two days... one to go.

I'm sure it is very challenging for a big company to track down the details of a small job done by a subcontractor. I don't have a warm feeling about this but I won't let it go until the job is finished.

Cheers

· Registered
9,064 Posts
and buried in my driveway
I trust they were on the portion of the driveway between the sidewalk and street. If they were on your side of the sidewalk, they had absolutely no right to be there without your permission. If they cut the short piece beyond the sidewalk, it shouldn't be a difficult matter to repave the entire piece, to restore it to original condition.

· Banned
110 Posts
I have to hand it to rogers. They messed up my lawn pretty bad this summer and they actually fixed it and it looks fine now

· Registered
9 Posts
My driveway doesn't have a sidewalk... The cut is right at the curb, end of my driveway, technically on "city" property. It's a nice clean cut. Now it just needs a nice clean asphalt repair that will seal it back up and last until the next time they decide to do this.

They haven't contacted me - next stop, city works dept...

If Rogers fixes this up, I will be very happy. If they don't, I'll do whatever it takes to see this through...

Cheers...

· Registered
44 Posts
You don't own the curb or the last few feet of grass the city does. I can imagine being upset if they ripped things up and didn't patch it or sod it but it looks like they have done so. If the city has to replace a busted water main on your street they will not do nearly as nice a job. My sister had a beautiful unilock brick driveway and retaining wall. The city left it looking like a junk pile.

Rogers and Bell are required to provide networks that cover our homes even we don't use them. We don't use the Bell network at the moment but if they wanted to run new wires to our home I wouldn't object because someday down the road I may want to change services.

I would say this is more about a personal axe to grind than some kind of injustice.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.