Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
HDTV101, I feel your pain. I have a similar issue with Rogers.
I have a rogers cable box on my front lawn. I have no rogers services. 3 months ago, they installed a cable (Belden 1829A) from the box. It runs accoss my lawn, up my South neighbors tree, flys 60ft accross MY diveway to my North neighbors tree, wraps around the tree a few times then flys off to his house.

I've called and asked rogers to remove it. Threatened to run over it with the lawn mower. They always want my account number, i explain that i'm not a Rogers customer and they say they can't do anything without a customer number.

I suspect they'll have to dig up my lawn and driveway agin to install it properly. The last cable they installed was wedged between the driveway and curb, just like 101's. Obviously it quit working or they wouldn't have done the flyover repair. The cable has moved, or stretchs twice now, my freind moved it farther up the tree to get it off the top of his van.

I just want rid of it. How do I call?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
25,741 Posts
That single strand of unterminated Rogers coax ending at the utility box at the side of HDTV101's house is not a candidate for signal leakage. Just to be sure I'd put a terminator on it, but this whole scenario seems surreal to me.

HDTV101 did you tick off a neighbour or something? :eek:

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I have a rogers cable box on my front lawn. I have no rogers services. 3 months ago, they installed a cable (Belden 1829A) from the box. It runs across my lawn, up my South neighbors tree, flies 60ft across MY driveway to my North neighbors tree, wraps around the tree a few times then flies off to his house.

I've called and asked rogers to remove it. Threatened to run over it with the lawn mower. They always want my account number, i explain that I'm not a Rogers customer and they say they can't do anything without a customer number.

I suspect they'll have to dig up my lawn and driveway again to install it properly. The last cable they installed was wedged between the driveway and curb, just like 101's. Obviously it quit working or they wouldn't have done the flyover repair. The cable has moved, or stretches twice now, my friend moved it farther up the tree to get it off the top of his van.

Tom.F.1. can you post any pictures? I can't believe that Rogers would hang a loose cable without getting your permission, or at the very least letting you know about it. What is this world coming to?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You guys seem to be missing the point now. Yes the main Cable box is on the City easement however my beef is mainly about them cutting the new driveway and voiding my warranty and breaking the water tight seal. Water will now intrude down into the crack they made and freeze in the winter buckling the pavement and then in the spring it’ll sink down. I went through this before with the old driveway… Rogers had done the same thing cutting it… the end of the driveway sank and people were tripping over it including my Mother who is 76 years old. This became so dangerous that it became a liability for me that I decided to redo the driveway to make it safe again and now Rogers came back and cut it again without even asking me. So now I’m faced with the same problem now after spending $1300.00 to repave the driveway. And why did they do this? To fix my Cable that I don’t even have due to their own error in issuing a work order with the wrong address on it.

BTW I was contacted today from someone from Rogers that saw this thread. I will be calling him on Monday.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Could you pull the cable out and fill the crack with driveway sealer?
30 bux and a couple hours work might save you days of legal battles.
I finally got someone on the phone from Rogers late this afternoon. He says he's created a work order for monday. We'll see....

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
I would call Rogers, and ask to speak to the Escalations Coordinator. Each area of Rogers Cable has one of these individuals. Their role is to manage complex or costly issues, including property damage.

The advantage with dealing with Escalations is that you're given a direct number and/or email address to reach them--no waiting on hold, etc. This person will send a manager who will assess the damage, and work with you to have it repaired by a licensed contractor at Rogers' expense.

If Escalations doesn't resolve your problem, then ask to speak to the Office of the President. However, I'm confident that Escalations will get it done.

·
Registered
340 Posts
BTW I was contacted today from someone from Rogers that saw this thread. I will be calling him on Monday.
Your most recent explanation indicates that Rogers is on the hook for this one, having voided your warranty even though the cable was placed on the easement.

What I fail to understand is how they can put in a new cable run a couple of inches above ground, is there some code that governs how deep it should have been placed?

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
Most cable drops are buried just below the sod, or asphalt. In fact, cables are often damaged when people aerate (sp?) their lawns. Or pour hot asphalt on top of the cable...

There are no requirements for minimum depth.

It's less intrusive, and cheaper, to bury cable shallow.

·
Registered
309 Posts
i have rogers cable so i'm not going to stir the pot too much, but if they did that to me and i wasn't a subscriber, that cable would be removed already.

i don't know what happened. cable must have got stuck to my bumper...

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I have a rogers cable box on my front lawn. I have no rogers services. 3 months ago, they installed a cable (Belden 1829A) from the box. It runs accoss my lawn, up my South neighbors tree, flys 60ft accross MY diveway to my North neighbors tree, wraps around the tree a few times then flys off to his house.

I've called and asked rogers to remove it. Threatened to run over it with the lawn mower. They always want my account number, i explain that i'm not a Rogers customer and they say they can't do anything without a customer number.

I suspect they'll have to dig up my lawn and driveway agin to install it properly. The last cable they installed was wedged between the driveway and curb, just like 101's. Obviously it quit working or they wouldn't have done the flyover repair. The cable has moved, or stretchs twice now, my freind moved it farther up the tree to get it off the top of his van.

A Rogers installer showed up, Intek communications, and dug a shallow trench to the tree to bury the cable. Moved it farther up the tree, so now it flys 60ft accross my driveway about 18 ft in the air. He used white tape to tie it to the tree. He says it will be up to a different crew to properly bury it, someday.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Let's see now, HDTV101's original "Treed Cable" was created on Thursday, July 30, 2009.

I propose we hold a lottery. Everybody chooses their own "Burial Date" (No double entendre intended) and the winner, or closest, gets a gold star.

Put me down for Thursday, April 15, 2010. Hope I'm not being overly optimistic! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Based on the number of "Treed Cables" I've seen just in my neighbourhood alone, my pick is June 4th, 2015.:D

·
Registered
340 Posts
Now I know there is no code governing how deep cable tv must be placed nor in what manner ...

But I am wondering can they place a cable across private property say 12 feet high along with a Bell line going to another client? Must the property owner accept where Rogers/Bell strings their cable across private property?

·
Registered
8,998 Posts
Overhead utility wires have long been common, so I doubt you could say much about that. But running a cable over your trees etc., may be a different matter.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Oh no! I think I also read and posted in that other "wire in the tree" thread. I too was going to suggest, as did member STAMPEDER, that theory states that live coax cables carrying RF signals need to be terminated with an appropriate "terminator" if not connected at the customer end. This prevents any leakage of RF signal out to free space (bad for everyone receiving signals over the air) and properly terminated cables also minimize reflections of signal back down the coax cable (bad for other's connected to the cable system).
[Proper terminator in this case would be a 75 ohm resistive load I think ... they're made to screw right in to the coax connector on the end of the cable.]
The better solution (also mentioned by another member earlier) is to have Rogers disconnect the line at the pole tap or box tap and put the terminator (or cap) there. Then the line to the house is NOT live at all, carries no RF signal, and cannot be suspected as the source of the leak.
I could go one step furthur. If you want nothing of Rogers on your property, ask Rogers to disconnect and terminate at the pole tap or box tap, and then you rip out everything else on your property... coax cable, connectinon box (that they usually hastily) screwed to your (outside?) wall, and any crap that you don't need or want inside your house. Rogers will not like this ... because if you or someone else needs this service again at your location, they'll have to redo it new from scratch. Be careful if you decide to do this yourself. Rogers may get really upset. Only do it if you are sure you will never need or ask for service again for them.
Like I said in another post - consider doing all your own inside wiring (properly) ... keep those subcontractor or Rogers wiring guys out of your house, and off your property if at all possible. It's just a personal opinion ...but I suggest: do it yourself properly...in your house, or on your property - or hire an independent company to do it properly on you behalf and in your interest.
I am sure this post is going to ROCK alot of people / may upset some people. So be it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe that there is actually a minimum depth for direct buried drop cables. The Canadian Electrical Code 2009 covers this in section 54-700(c) which says "for service wires under parkways and lawns the depth may be reduced to 450mm".

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Rogers has taken my thread on here very seriously. After starting this thread on Thursday night I was contacted by Rogers on Friday. After the long weekend I called back the person who had called me. As it turns out he’s the GTA Manager of Quality Assurance and he was deeply concerned when he saw my thread on here. He wanted to come out right away, which he did within an hour, and see for himself what had taken place. He wanted to get the full story from me too about all the other problems we have had dealing with the numerous subcontractors arriving over the past few months.

Today a crew arrived and repaired my driveway and I was happy about that.

I would like to personally thank the GTA Manager for taking the time come out here and for taking care of everything.

21 - 40 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.