Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rogers' Digital Cable Remote Control Discussions - See Link In Post 1

317K views 327 replies 115 participants last post by  Rhstats 
#1 ·
Edit by 57. If you need additional information on the specific remote, the following website is very useful. You can find device codes, get basic programming information, download the (quick) manuals, etc:

Universal Electronics Remote Control Support

Good Day peeps.

Having a great level of dificulty in programming of, and/or figuring out WHY my Rogers DIGITAL Set-Top-BOX'es Wireless Infared Remote Control Unit operates a particular way, compared to older/other rogers remote controlls.

My parents (well actually my Father) Picked up a NEW Rogers digital Set-Top-Box made by Scientific Atlantic. The NEW scientific Atlantic digital box with no clock/liquid crystal display, other than a power LED on the fron, forgot the model, but its one of the newer/smaller ones that people strangely complaining about but contrary to what these people are complaining about, its actually a very nice well built box, its just them that dont know it.

Now, I've programmed the Universal Remote Control to operate my TV and DVD Player with 100% Success, but might I ad, its the new remote control with the 5 device buttons (aux/dvd/aud/tv/cab) on the top, unlike the previous ones rogers was giving out recently which only operated a tv/vcr/cab box.

I kind of like the new 5-device remote, except for one small problem which this remote seems to have no answer for that the other remotes dont have this problem. When using the remote to change the TV's Volume while its in Cable Box mode (which It shoudd be in anyways), The TV's volume changes when you press the remote which is fine, but the remote some how loves to go back into cable mode, durring this time, you can NOT repeat the button for the volume change and must wait, where as the older 3-device remotes, would change the volume and NOT affect the univ remotes mode. The weird thing is when I press volume, the TV light blinks indicating the Remote is controlling a TV function, but it flickers back to Cab, so the only way I can raise/lower the volume is to Press and HOLD the button to the desired level, unlike what I am used to doing with the factory JVC remote which is pressing and tapping the button numerous times to increase or decrease the volume meter bar to the desired level. This has caused great pain and fustration to not only myself, but to my dad, who has a tendancy to like to adjust the volume frequently because of hearing issues.. Is there a way to Have when you adjust the volume on the remote to NOT HAVE the remote automatically go into cab mode immediately after the volume is pressed? my girl friend's bell express view remote looks almost identical to the one rogers uses (other than the noticable bell logo, and slightly different buttons) but when you change the volume on hers, the TV button lights up only, and the SAT button doesnt activate after its pressed. I want mine to do this. I've followed the owners guide and tried re-programming my remote like 10 times, almost screwed it up too had to reset it several times. Any suggestions or remote experts out there? please help... Signed... frustrated by volume.

See less See more
#2 ·
Please read the operating manual that comes with this remote carefully. These newer remotes are usually set up to operate in a "default" way, however, if you don't like they way they operate, you need to change them.

For example:

- put the proper JVC (TV) remote code into the "TV" function" (right now a "universal" code is probably entered to allow the remote to control the TV volume - any TV's volume). Once the TV's volume is properly controled by the remote when set to "TV" mode....

- set the "master volume" or whatever it's called so that it only affects the TV.

Once properly set up, the remote should function the way you like. Also realize that some of the remote codes affect the volume on the device like a TV in different ways. One code may increase the volume only "one unit" with each press, while another code may increase the volume as long as you hold the button down.

You may also want to set "master power" control so that the remote powers on the STB and/or the TV.

I believe the STB is the SA940.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=58326

#3 ·

The above is a picture of the Remote Controll in question, its called an Atlas DVR (Day) on the MFGR's website. To Anser 57u's question, The TV mode is programmed with the appropriate TV Code (0053) for the Television set.

When I press the Power button on the Remote, the TV turns on automatically, then the S-T-B will power on moments after, as long as the remote is pointing in the direction of the TV. So yes, Master Power is already enabled or was by default and I'm keeping it this way. Just not sure why when pressing Volume Up/Down, the Remote will switch to cbl mode aright after the TV Vol command is sent and the cable light illumiates, I just want this shut off and tried all the combinations the manual stated including volume lock on/off and none of this worked.

Is it pissible to press volume up/down/mute and have just the TV mode button illumiate? is there another name for this which I do not know what its called?

#46 ·
I have the same remote as above in picture. Only problem is:

Mute doesn't work. I have done the code entering 991 and can turn TV on and off with that remote.

Also, how can I program the a, b and c keys? I wanna program C key for close caption, e.g. ?

TV = insignia, 1080 i, 20 inches.

Thanks!

#4 ·
I don't believe it's as simple as turning volume lock on/off. I believe there's a section on "master volume" or something similar, where you tell the remote which device you want to control the volume - for example, AUX or TV, etc. (in your case TV)

Since you have your device code properly entered, when you run through the procedure for master volume, enabling the TV as the volume device, you should then be fine and only the TV "light" should come on when you press the volume/mute button (I have my Aux programmed for my AV Receiver to do this).

The device always goes back to (or stays in) cable mode, unless you press another device key, which should not be necessary in your case once properly programmed. If you press another device key, then you may have to press the CBL key to get back to "normal" operation.

#5 ·
I've tried every method of master volume or master lock that can think of in the remote.. and have come to the conclusion that it still won't work.

Anyone else's remote do this too or is it just mine? I am thinking of just OTC'ing the remote at a local rogers video outlet, unless someone can assist me further please!!

#6 ·
I downloaded the operating manual for what I believe is your remote. Is there a section similar to the following on page 21?

To Lock Volume Control To One Mode
(Global Volume Lock):
NOTE: The audio mode’s volume controls are active regardless of
Volume Lock settings. However, if you lock the volume controls to
the AUD mode, you will have control of the audio device’s volume
in all other modes (i.e.,AUX,DVD,TV, and CBL).
1. On the remote control, press and hold SETUP
until the last-selected device key blinks twice,
then release SETUP.
2. Enter 9 - 9 - 3.The last-selected device key
will blink twice.
3. Select a mode (e.g., TV) where you want to
globally lock the volume controls.The selected
device key will blink twice.
4. Now,when you press VOL+, VOL-, or MUTE,
the volume of the selected device (e.g., TV)
can be controlled regardless of mode.

#45 ·
Rogers Remote Volume Code 993

I downloaded the operating manual for what I believe is your remote. Is there a section similar to the following on page 21?

To Lock Volume Control To One Mode
(Global Volume Lock):
NOTE: The audio mode’s volume controls are active regardless of
Volume Lock settings. However, if you lock the volume controls to
the AUD mode, you will have control of the audio device’s volume
in all other modes (i.e.,AUX,DVD,TV, and CBL).
1. On the remote control, press and hold SETUP
until the last-selected device key blinks twice,
then release SETUP.
2. Enter 9 - 9 - 3.The last-selected device key
will blink twice.
3. Select a mode (e.g., TV) where you want to
globally lock the volume controls.The selected
device key will blink twice.
4. Now,when you press VOL+, VOL-, or MUTE,
the volume of the selected device (e.g., TV)
can be controlled regardless of mode.
Hey Paola,

I was having the same problem with a new Roger's remote.

My old one took the code no problem using the 9-9-3 code and following the instructions on the back of the remote.

The new one was being flakey, but I got it fixed thanks to 57's updated instructions.

The issue seems to be step #3.

The old remotes would except the "Setup" button to confirm the code, but with the new ones you have to push "CBL" or "TV" after you put in the code to enable/unlock volume control.

Also step one is confusing in the above procedure, so to reiterate:

1. push "CBL" (blink)
2. hold "setup" until the CBL button blinks twice
3. enter 9-9-3 (dbl blink)
4. press "CBL" ("TV" may work as well)

Had to register just to say, "Thank you 57!"

#7 ·
I have the same remote and 57 is correct. You can basically program the volume to operate in different ways -

- in 'lock' mode that will operate the volume in one device regardless of the selected device.

- or in 'unlock' mode - this will allow you to change the volume of the selected device (like the older remote). I think this is what you're looking for. The section to 'unlock' should be right next to the lock section that 57 pointed out.

Actually, it lets you do a combination of both too - lock for all devices except TV for instance.

#8 ·
I've done that 20 times now... I'm a computer guy so I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing, and no the remote still does not operate as intended to. Unless d2e8b8 can comment if you press the volume up/down on your remote, does the tv light and then the cable light blink? or just the tv light?

#9 ·
I have the remote in question and experimenting just now shows that I have the same issue.

I have programmed the remote to use the TV for sound and everything is working as desired.

However, there is a small window of time where the volume is locked out. ie let's say I want to go up two notches in volume. If I press twice really fast or really slow, I get the desired two notches on my tv. If I go at an in between speed, I only get one notch.

Paolo, likely you can a different model just by asking. Go in with your remote and specifically for one of the older versions - give them exact model # if you know it. Since these are older now, they may have them kicking around the shop.

#10 ·
Paolo,

I'll play with my remote settings once I get home tonight. However, I think my remote does behave the same too (if it makes you feel better - if 'better' is the right word).

For every 'click' of the vol button, the device (in my case 'Aud') and then the 'Cbl' indicator lights up. Like Joe explained, at a certain speed, you miss 'clicks'. Guess I just got used to it in the last 4 months. It's not a big deal really - one click missed out of about five.

Since you're a computer guy, I'm sure you'll find ways to use the programmable buttons. I managed to program the buttons so that one button click switches the TV input and the Receiver input to DVD and another one swtiches both back to TV (or cable really) - it's great for my wife who used to call me on my cell if she wanted to watch a DVD.

#12 ·
I initially noticed the same problem on the remote that comes with rogers HD pvr. Also, the layout and design of the remote functionality is quite poor compared to my other DVR (applicable to the design of both the remote and the IPG)

However, you can get a decent learning remote, like those reviewed on remotecentral.com, and program it with the codes from the rogers remote.

#13 ·
Interesting that the CBL light comes on. On my older (4 button) remote, it doesn't. I have the following suggestion:

- If you've not got too much programmed in, try the "reset to default" sequence, then programme in your device (TV, AUD, whatever)

- If using the TV, check to ensure the code has "taken" by changing channels on the TV using the Rogers remote having pressed the "TV" button (you'll need to change to the ANT/Cable Input on the TV using the TV's remote probably). If you can change channels (on the TV, not on the STB) using channel buttons - numbers - or the channel up/down, then the code has "taken". If not, then the code has not taken properly.

- Then set the global volume lock as indicated in post 6.

#14 ·
I have the exact same problem. I have two HD cable boxes. Weird thing is, though, that my first remote which I obtained in January of this year, does not have this problem. This is the exact same remote as the one I was given about a week ago by Rogers. The new ones must have some new programming feature which is causing this glitch.

My "older" remote was not programmed by default for volume control via the television. The "new" remote was automatically programmed to control volume via the television as a default setting. Don't know if this would make a difference but it could be that when Rogers re-programmed the default settings, they screwed something up.

I hope someone comes up with a solution because I agree that this is VERY frustrating.:mad:

#15 ·
bingo!!! there are more codes for this remote but they're hidden by the manufacturer, scientific atlantic. Finding out these codes might allow us to reset or fix this feature, I already found one hidden code on a us time warner digital cable web site and it reset my remote completely, which rogers does not give you this code, now my rod and music buttons are erased but i dont care.... I am still want to fix this issue, and want rogers and scientific atlantic to acknowledge this glitch/hickup.. when im in DVD mode, and change the volume, the remote should not indicate the cable mode is active after the volume increase/decerease.. this is pissing me off.

#16 ·
Paolo, can you share the code to completely reset the box?

I hate the music button - one, there is no channel 700 and two, I've hit this button a couple of times accidently while operating in the dark and the channel changes.

While I likely would prefer to have them erased, do you know the code to allow us to put our own channel for the music and rod buttons?

#18 ·
Joesoap, I found that the Music button was programmable the same way the favourite channel button was. Now my wife's favourite channels are on "favourite channel" while mine are on "Music" .

See the manual on programming the favourite channel, and sub in the music button.

#17 ·
This doesn't directly deal with the issue being discussed here, but I would highly recommend getting a Harmony remote - it makes life much easier, particularly if you are controlling multiple devices such as STB, TV, DVD, Receiver. You can get new Harmony 659s for $50 or less on eBay and they are absolutely worth that amount.

#19 ·
Thanks El Gran Chico. I went back and RTFM - it implied the music and ROD buttons were fixed but indeed they can be programmed similar to the personal tv button.

These three buttons are simply macros with a fancy name.

I have reprogrammed my music button to be mute (not for the irony but rather the music button is right below mute so now I don't have to worry about a mis-hit when tryng to mute in the dark).

I don't have a pvr in this room but another use would be to program multiple FF presses on one of the three buttons. Perhaps one can even get creative and program a commercial skip macro?

#20 · (Edited)
same remote

i have the same remote as the remote in question here...and i am pretty exhausted with trying to figure it out. first of all, i cant change the channel on my tv on this remote, i have to use a seperate one. i have an older tv, jvc - dont know model #, but it is not that old, all other remotes work. to play dvds, i go to channel 91, for video 1; 92 for video 2. but since i cant use this remote, it is frustrating. ive looked in the book and tried to take off the default code which prevents changing tv channel, and the code goes in correctly, but nothing changes. any help ? please ? also could someone explain to me why my box is so slow, ie loading TMN menus, when the box is virtually new ? my friend has one almost a year old and soo much faster. oh and also, what the hell can you do with the A, B, and C buttons. :S

#23 ·
i have the same remote as the remote in question here...and i am pretty exhausted with trying to figure it out. first of all, i cant change the channel on my tv on this remote, i have to use a seperate one. i have an older tv, jvc - dont know model #, but it is not that old, all other remotes work. to play dvds, i go to channel 91, for video 1; 92 for video 2. but since i cant use this remote, it is frustrating. ive looked in the book and tried to take off the default code which prevents changing tv channel, and the code goes in correctly, but nothing changes. any help ? please ? also could someone explain to me why my box is so slow, ie loading TMN menus, when the box is virtually new ? my friend has one almost a year old and soo much faster. oh and also, what the hell can you do with the A, B, and C buttons. :S
I have the same set up as you, Scientific Atlantic Digital Set Top Box, and a JVC 32 Inch NTSC Television set. I have successfully got my remote controler to change my TV Chanenls when its in "TV Mode" but when its in Cable Mode, it will only control the Volume, but it does it strangely and I have yet to figure out how to shut this stupid POS God Damnit feature off.

Programming Channel Control Lock
By Default, the remote control's channel-control capabilities are locked to the cable converter. The Affectid keys are 1 to 0, CH+,-,Enter and Last. This qull guarentee that you do not in avertently change a channel on your TV or VCR However you can deactivate this feature to allow full acces to these keys in the TV nd VCR modes.

On the Remote Control, press CABLE once, it will blink once press and hold SETUP untill cable blinks twice. Enter 973, CBL will blink 2ice.
PRess CH- once, the CBL will blink 4 times, there you go, its done.

#21 ·
When you programme the remote for the TV, does it turn the TV on/off? If not, it's not properly programmed, or the incorrect code has been used.

the ABC buttons can be used in the IPG for browsing, changing the date, etc. Also, this remote is used for the DVR, where the ABC buttons are used all the time in recordings.

#25 ·
I programmed one of the new remotes for a client today. No problems whatsoever controlling volume, doing volume for TV or volume on another device and also set up the master power for several devices. (Did TV first to make sure it worked, then did the Audio for his AVR and set the AVR for master volume)

Make sure that when you press the "setup" key that you hold it long enough for two flashes of the previously selected device. This means you have to hold setup for about 5 seconds or so.

Try reading the instructions to another person, while they perform the programming - this procedure sometimes aids in getting it done in a different way, especially if you've tried it yourself many times.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
In response to the OP's question, I had a similar problem with the new remote right out of the box.

When I pressed the volume button the tv button would flash twice.
So I called rogers and talked to the tech dpt. May sound stupid to call up with a question like this but I was really frustrated.
I wish I could reiterate what he had me do to the remote(some kind of setup) but whatever it was it worked.

So give Roger's a call, talk to their tech dpt. and maybe they can help.

Mike

#27 ·
Thanks Kingpin111, since its a Holiday (btw, happy easter every1), I will not bother to call Rogers tonite. I will, however call them up tomorrow morning while I am at work. Perhaps I can take my Rogers Atlas DVR/PVR remote control with me to work too even though I can not test it with an actual TV set, I can atleast Enter in the codes as I am speaking to the Rogers Cable representative. I will give it a try tomorrow, if time permits.

#29 ·
Rogers was of little or no help over the phone. They basically re-stated the same section of the manual that 57u was trying to tell me, even though this "seems" like the right code to use to fix it, it did NOT.

Also, Rogers VIDEO was of no help either, a power outage in my area has caused their systems to be un-operational thus they have big signs on their doors stating they can not do exchanges on hardware untill the system is back up, this includes my remote control. I will try to go back when the philipino guy is working, he will probaly take one out of a returned one and compare it to mine and put the wrong one back into the box *cough* accidentally *cough* so i will not realzie untill I leave the store that my remote control is a new one.

#30 ·
Update: Got my Remote OTC'd at a Rogers Plus (formerly Rogers Video) store the other day. Brand New Remote control, programmed in all my codes, but what do you know? the volume controll still does that, 57U, your advice was good but the remote is designed like this no way arround it, supprisingly no one else is complaining about it, maybe they dont know about the volume flaw?. I now need to resort to JP1 programming to fix it.. I have to spend a little extra money now eh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.