Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

301 - 313 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
@Free Market,

Not sure which package CTV Sci-Fi is in but it is a flex channel, so providing you don't subscribe to the basic no flex channel option, you can swap it for a channel you don't want.
Flex options start with the Ignite Flex 5 option which is one step up from the basic subscription.
I think Flex 5 is only a few dollars more than the basic.

·
Registered
619 Posts
SciFi is only in the top level package. I have the one below (Popular) and I don't get it. I would have to pay $7 for it or upgrade to the next package (about $15).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have Flex 5 in an ignite bundle, I can add CTV Sci-Fi as one of my flex channels by dropping one of my 5.
My tv bundle is only 5$ more than the absolute basic which has no flex channels. ( I assume it is the skinny starter)
If you go to the ignite bundles and look at the flex channels you will find there are more than 100 flex channels to choose from and you can swap them over once a month after the first month.
I think the first month you can swap as often as you like.
The flex options are great.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Not sure which package CTV Sci-Fi is in but it is a flex channel, so providing you don't subscribe to the basic no flex channel option, you can swap it for a channel you don't want.
Is the basic Ignite package not letting you add channels still?

I was surprised going through the website recently for the $25 basic non-Ignite package, that it now let you add individual channels (and packs) with the same pricing as those with bigger plans.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
I think that's always been available. The issue is that individual channels are so expensive that it's not worth getting basic and adding them. That's also true for some of the theme packs such as those for sports. It would be nice if Rogers offered add-on flex packages with 5, 10 or 20 channels for a reasonable price like some other BDUs. Flex 5 and Flex 10 are a good start but why not a Flex 15 or Flex 20. Also, why does the Popular package have so few flex channels? Adding missing channels quickly inflates the price to Premium pricing so it's not worth getting. Popular has fewer flex channels than Flex 5 and Flex 10. That doesn't make sense. There is a big gaping hole in reasonable offerings between Flex 10 and Premium.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Interesting info. What about the sports channels - Sportsnet and TSN...are they available as flex in every package also? The rogers site makes it look like only the top two tiers have these.

·
Registered
113 Posts
@Free Market,

These are not flex channels but theme packs.
I signed up for TSN yesterday and also included Sportsnet for 15$ a month for 1 year.
I only want it until the Oz Open is finished then I will cancel.
Have not been able to figure out how to record matches, it confirms recording but then shows a red circle with a slash.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
From my may bill:
We are currently in negotiations with the broadcaster of the Golf Channel, MSNBC and CNBC. We are hopeful that no changes will be made to your service. However, if we are unable to reach a fair agreement, these channels will no longer be available as part of your TV or theme package starting July 1, 2020. Please visit www.rogers.com/discontinued-channel for details and updates on the status of these channels. If these channels are no longer available as of July 1, 2020 and if you pay a separate monthly service fee for any of them, you will no longer see this charge on your bill as of this date. In the event these channels are no longer available, the rest of your Rogers TV package would remain the same, and this change would be made in accordance with the CRTC Television Service Provider Code. If you have any questions or wish to change or cancel your TV services, check out the Contact Us section of this bill.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I received a notification with my bill that Rogers will be dropping MSNBC, CNBC and GOLF CHANNEL as of July 1st if they cannot negotiate a deal with them. Does anybody have any further information about this and how likely it is that these channels will be dropped by Rogers.

Edit - moved to existing thread.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
@Nighthawk1 : This was mentioned in the previous post 308, click link below:

There is no way to tell what will happen until the negotiations fail or succeed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
This morning my wife (a NASCAR fan) discovered we no longer received Fox Sports Racing (nee SpeedTV). A quick perusal of MyRogers showed I could either subscribe to it for $7/month or as part of the "Adventure" theme pack for $10/month. This was confirmed via chat with an agent.

However, although this apparently was decided back in January, I wasn't notified of this change via email or through my e-bill. So I was able to use this to bully my way into a 1 month credit in lieu of the 30 day notification as per the Television Provider Service Code.

Edit by 57 - I believe this also applies to Ignite. It was discussed over on Rogers' Forums - link below. I believe some people (with Ignite?) did get some notice. I didn't see anything regarding FoxSR on my 2020 bills (I'm on Digital Cable and just checked all my 2020 bills)...

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
I've noticed that a change in channel branding is being used as an excuse to remove it from legacy packages more often these days. Bell pioneered ways to screw customers over when new channels are added or old ones rebranded. Now other BDUs are following suit. There could have been some negotiation issues if it involved a price increase or other stipulations for continued carriage. In any event, charging $7 for a channel that probably wholesales for less than a dollar and failing to notify or compensate customers for channel removals is inexcusable.

The state of broadcast TV is going downhill by the day as programming production shutdowns continue. Broadcasters and BDUs should be adding more channels and free previews to maintain product value, not removing channels from legacy packages.

301 - 313 of 313 Posts