Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

281 - 300 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
AMCHD is channel 32 and 482 on my VIP. My November bill said "Starting January 1, 2020, AMC will no longer be available as part of your TV package." Over the last few years channels have been removed from VIP without any replacements or compensation. We will see if Rogers recants or goes ahead anyway and adds it as an extra cost item. My VIP being grandfathered, I can add nothing to it, even at extra cost I expect.

·
Premium Member
4,084 Posts
I find it funny/ When Rogers or some other provider states a channel will no longer be part of your TV Package? To me that sounds like it will be stand alone channel Providers should be more clear and state the channel will no longer be available on your service/channel line up?

To me it sounds misleading?

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Toronto Star article from Mon., Dec. 9, 2019:

Rogers announces plans to drop AMC — and this isn’t the first time they’ve clashed

Canadian TV industry watchers believe AMC is overestimating the value of its programming to cable providers as streaming services continue to grab subscribers and cord cutting picks up steam.

Earlier this decade, the company had popular, award-winning hits such as “Breaking Bad,” about a meth-dealing high school teacher, and “Mad Men,” a drama set in the 1960s advertising industry. But none of its current shows rank in the top 30 most-watched programs in Canada as tracked by Numeris.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Its funny.. just went to the twitter thread, and one of the first replies right below it when it loaded... was "I just switched to bell to get AMC and was told they had no plans of dropping it".

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
So Rogers announces they're dripping AMC, which creates a big fuss and defection of customers to Bell. Now Bell also announces they're dropping it. Meanwhile, over on Rogers Community Forums the moderators say they're negotiating to keep it. I don't know how significant AMC's Canadian market is, but losing both Rogers and Bell would be significant. My sense is that after negotiations, both carriers may add it as part of an extra cost theme pack. Meanwhile, Rogers just announced my Cable bill will be going up by $2 + tax. That will put it over my $100 limit. Since my ISP offers Link TV which I can bundle with my Internet and home phone and even save money, I'll be looking at dumping Rogers Cable altogether.

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
Any mention of AMC is now missing from Rogers web site. I suggest that Rogers and Bell customers call and ask for a credit.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I recall that after the outrage on Rogers Community Forums, a moderator said they are looking into it. My bill said "Starting January 1, 2020, AMC will no longer be available as part of your TV package" but it's still in my IPG beyond that date and I just scheduled a movie to record on January 2nd. We will see what happens tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Is Rogers offering a replacement channel to placate its viewers?
I for one will NEVER return to Bell!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm sure BELL will reach the same agreement and keep AMC as well. I guess these negotiations always go right up to the last minute

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Seems like customer wishes convinced Rogers to keep negotiating. Clearly AMC's ratings were what prompted the increase to BDUs. Bell would be foolish to also not re-sign.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Negotiations were probably ongoing even when they announced the channel was being dropped. It's possible that AMC was the one to blink especially with Bell threatening to drop the channel as well.

·
Registered
704 Posts
For those of you that may like this channel, FYI has been dropped by Rogers for whatever reason, and no notifications either.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
For those of you that may like this channel, FYI has been dropped by Rogers for whatever reason, and no notifications either.
Read your bills! The following was in a recent bill:

The broadcaster for FYI has decided to stop airing this channel starting January 1, 2020. This means it will no longer be part of your TV or Theme package. If you pay a separate monthly service fee for this channel, we will stop charging you. We love TV too and we're sorry that you may be losing a channel you enjoy.

If you currently have FYI selected as a bonus channel as part of your Popular or Premier TV Package, we will automatically replace it. If you would like to pick a different one, you can exchange bonus channels once every 30 days by signing into rogers.com/myrogers and selecting TV.

The rest of your Rogers TV package will remain the same. If you have any questions or wish to change or cancel your Rogers services, please reach out to us in any of the ways listed in the Contact Us section of this
bill.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I just went online to my Rogers portal and it seems they've added BBC World to my package, although when I try to access it, it says NOT Subscribed. I guess it will take a few days. I wonder why they picked that one for me, strange.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi...this may be a silly question. I'm looking at the new Ignite packages and I don't see SciFi (formerly Space) on any of them.

Anyone know which packages include it?

281 - 300 of 313 Posts