Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have started receiving voicemails from the Rogers Robot Lady telling me that "I am near the credit limit on my Roger's account".

I sign on the website and see there is a section I never noticed before called Rogers' Credit Limit. My monthly bill is around $200, and apparently my Rogers Credit Limit is $600. My next bill is due on Jan. 30th, and the $200 is all I will owe as I always pay on time.

This new "credit limit" section says how I'm using $200 of my $600 limit. The past 2 days, the Robot has called and left the same message.

Firstly, what the heck is Rogers Credit limit and why do I have it? (the site barely mentions it in the FAQS I could find)

Secondly, who is dumb enough to think that $200 out of $600 is "almost reaching your limit"?

I thought it was a reminder to pay my bill at first, but the due date is almost 3 weeks away.....?!? It's all very confusing.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I cannot find a credit limit on my account either.

Are you sure that you are paying your monthly bill before Rogers says it is due? i.e. are you paying before the due date on your bill?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
Have you called Rogers?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I haven't called them yet. I was hoping someone else would have had this before, so I could have some info before delving into Rogers Customer Support Neverland......

I will double check, but I'm pretty sure none of my bills have been late in the past 6 months, butttt, maybe I did miss one by a day or two.

As for where I see it, on the MyRogers page, under the Overview, I see it on the left side, around the billing area.

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
I would definitely check into this with both Rogers and the credit bureaus. Rogers automatically does a credit check for new customers, or for existing customers doing upgrades (i.e. renting expensive equipment, etc). This credit limit could be an indicator that there's a credit issue that you may not be aware of.

Further, Rogers may report to the credit bureaus that they've applied a credit limit to your account--which could have negative ramifications for your rating.

I'm not trying to scare you...but in this day and age, keeping informed on your credit status at all times is necessary. Fraud is rampant as ever...and most people don't know they're a victim until it's too late.

Both Transunion and Equifax legally must provide you with a free copy of your credit report. Visit their respective websites for the form you must complete and mail in (ensure that you follow their instructions precisely).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, here's the weird thing. I just got off the phone with Rogers. The Credit Limit was applied to my account on December 28th, the same night I called to have my new HD box (that I purchased?!) activated.

After bouncing from billing to A/R, the girl said the Activation department must have put it on my account. She then said she removed it, but "it may come back in a week or so, I can't guarentee it". This was after the first girl I talked to in billing said the Activation department can't add credit limits to accounts????

Very bizarre.

I will probably do the Equifax thing just to be sure, but I still don't get why a credit check would be done on me for activating something that costs Rogers nothing?? No rental, no new service.......

Both the billing girl and I think it's a mistake, so we'll see what happens.....

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
I will probably do the Equifax thing just to be sure, but I still don't get why a credit check would be done on me for activating something that costs Rogers nothing?? No rental, no new service.......
The credit check occurs automatically--it's their system making the request. Based on the information it finds from the credit bureau, their billing system then makes a determination as to what restrictions--if any--should be applied to the account. Most people don't even realize that routine transactions with Rogers results in automated checks done on their credit.

There is widespread abuse of credit reporting in this country. Future Shop was recently found doing credit checks for people paying with a credit card on their online site. Even though retailers are insured against loss due to fraud by the credit card companies. Future Shop wasn't informing customers of these checks nor obtaining their permission to perform them, as required by law.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does Rogers have a clause in their terms of service that we "consent to" by using their service? Just came across this thread and it makes me curious. I don't remember explicitly giving consent, though I can see why they'd do it... I rent two PVR's - one HD - so I am a potential liability in goods and services if I don't pay for months on end....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, being lazy and not wanting to wait for the free report, and after realizing a few other things that may be worth checking out (a double charge when I was in Mexico on my honeymoon!) I went ahead and purchased an Equifax report online for $23.

Short version, everything is fine, my FICO is almost 800, and even weirder, there is no listing of Roger's making a credit inquiry on me.......

So, I guess I can safely say this whole thing was a mistake somehow on Roger's part, and I have no need to worry that somone has stolen my identity. :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not to do with Cable service, but back in August when i picked up an iPhone from Rogers, they wanted to do a credit check on me, and I refused.

Not that i have bad credit, but i have been a Rogers internet/cable/cellphone customer in one way or another for 20 years and have never missed a payment. I basically told them that if 20 years of paying them on time wasn't good enough, then to forget it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I think Rogers is now slowly reporting monthly to at least equifax. I have two entries by them now, all positive. My report does not show a credit limit, just my balance of my last two bills, and paid on time.

I for one wish it was law that all utilities must report each month, your payment and account status to credit reporting agencies. Since every loan etc we get is based off our credit report and payment histroy, and the rates tied to said report, other month to month bills should be reported too!

I have a good credit history, and believe if decisions are made based in part on a credit report, then it should speak to all the facts, not just some. If someone pays Rogers, Enbridge, Hydro, and water every month, this should be reported too. If you didn't pay, it would be!

It helps I have a parent who is a mathematician, and pointed out the flaws of a credit score that only gets partial information on you. If things are not reported, it cannot be an accurate picture of how you pay your debts, your monthly debt load etc.

Also, from my understanding, every Rogers account has a soft credit limit. Nothing set in stone, but when it gets to a certain level, they check into it. Its how they caught a billing error for me about 2 years ago.

·
Registered
172 Posts
odd coincidence?

Is it a coincidence that I see an Equifax ad between the "tags" section and the "quick reply" section when viewing this page (thread)?

- Bill H.

·
Super Moderator
56,507 Posts
The ads for this site are "smart" and depending on which thread you're viewing various keywords would bring up the appropriate ads.

For example a thread on cars might bring up a car ad, a thread on AVRs or speakers might bring up ads for those, etc.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sigh, guess what's back? The Credit Limit!!!!

This time I sent them a nasty email asking why this was put back on my account after being removed, especially since I still don't have wireless service through them and that's what I was told the credit limits are used for when I ran into this problem in January!

It looks like they have a ticket open, we'll see what excuse they have this time.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Well I am sure they have some sort of credit monitoring system for all their services so it my be correct in adding it. Not that I am saying you have bad credit but identity theft is big these days... Look at Sony. Have you had your credit checked lately? Most banks can do it or other wise equifax ect offer easy ways to check. Might be worth a look is all :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts