·
Registered
8,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I am on a 1GB plan and I am seeing 934 down - as normal (max capacity of my router - I bridge into an RV340) and 55 up which is an increase from 30-32 up previously. Decent gain.

Here's what I just got on my 500/20 connection. Given my network is only 1 Gb, I haven't got much room for download improvement.

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting. One thing that has limited upstream is available bandwidth on the cable. With analog, it was restricted to frequencies below channel 2 (54 - 60 MHz). However, switched video and now IPTV have eliminated that barrier. Based on what I saw in that video, they are indeed enlarging the available bandwidth with appropriate hardware.

As for Rogers, they were a founding member of CableLabs, which creates the DOCSIS specs, and I expect they're still active in it.

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Either way, the increased upstream bandwidth will require new hardware. The existing network has nodes where fibre converts to coax and there are filters in the nodes and also in the line extenders around the network. When I was working with some of that gear, a few years ago, the spectrum was split into download and upload streams. At the very least, those filters would have to be changed. I believe that was touched on in the video, but they didn't go into much detail. Using frequencies above 1 GHz would require additional filters in all that gear. I expect moving up the bottom end would be easier with existing plant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts