Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
57,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what's going on at Rogers Community Forums? They had some sign-in issues for a couple of weeks, but as of Wednesday, June 8, people haven't been able to sign in or post at all. If you go to "all posts" link (below), there have been a couple of posts, but none by the regulars and there has been no announcement or banner or pop-up since a single post by a mod on Wednesday.

Usually there are 10-30 posts per day, depending... I've tried signing in using various browsers on my computer (Chrome, FF, Safari, Safari on iPad, etc), clearing cache, cookies, Incognito, Link from MyRogers, etc. Nothing works and I'm assuming that no one else has been able to sign in either.

I've also checked the list of members signed in and there's no-one typically signed in.

It sure would be nice (and appropriated) if Rogers provided some sort of update, either with a post, or better still, with a banner or popup on the forum landing page.

Is this somehow related to recent browser changes regarding privacy? Chrome & FF may have been recently updated on my computer, but I don't believe Safari was recently updated on my computer or iPad.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Chrome & FF have done some updates to require the use of HTTPS and restrict access to HTTP only sites. It's usually easy to work around that and a pop-up should appear. The only other issues I've seen is with email moving to OAUTH for logins but that shouldn't affect web site access.

I'm not surprised by yet another technical issue with Rogers. The web site has had frequent issues in the past and it took months, maybe years, to correct. Rogers services seem technically inferior in most aspects. Unlike the norm for most technology companies, Rogers seems to frequently announce downgrades in service and feature eliminations on their products. Their TV services, once the flagship of the cable TV industry, have deteriorated to a second rate service that is years behind the times. Now they are dependent on a US company for technology after a failed attempt at implementing IPTV in house and massive financial losses. Rogers does not seem to be able to respond to customer needs or technological advances with any amount of time or money. They are history here once the Digital TV boxes are no longer usable or a good alternative is available. The path that Rogers is currently taking will likely mean that, despite record profits, will be history once consumers catch on that they are milking TV regulation and lack of meaningful competition to enrich their management and shareholders at the expense of its customers.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I dumped Rogers recently for everything. Went with Freedom Mobile for phone, and an independant FTTH provider that just recently wired up my area, with 30-40 percent reduction in price. All is good now. Both Rogers and Bell have obscene pricing.

·
Super Moderator
57,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's now been a week since people have been unable to sign into the forums and post. ("New" people apparently can sign in, but there have been very few posts and no responses other than a couple by mods).

I therefore had a chat with Rogers and they are "aware of the situation and working on it - sorry about the inconvenience, etc". I stated that it would be a good idea to put a banner on the forum landing page so that people don't waste their time trying to sign in when that is currently impossible. I also stated that the current situation without a banner or a fix is inexcusable.

My feedback will be forwarded to the appropriate people....

·
Super Moderator
57,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree that Rogers Forum website is a pain. This is mostly related to cookies and cache, so clearing the cache and the Rogers cookies usually does the trick, especially if you use Incognito or Private mode in the browser. Here's a list of other tips that can help.

Most people are now able to sign in

·
Registered
28 Posts
Are they? I haven't changed a single thing since the last time I was able to sign-in. If they don't want to give access to their community forum then [email protected]#$%! them. I won't make major alterations to my system to suit them. Their "community" forum is the ONLY such forum I can not easily sign into, so the problem lies with them.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I left Rogers back in September of last year to Telus. Best move I made! Full reception, better call quality and free add ons. But I do find it funny that Rogers has been calling me a lot recently to win me back. Last Rogers rep I spoke to I told them what Telus gives me and she was shocked. Said Rogers couldn't match it or even come close to beating it. LOL. Sadly prices will go up once they take over Shaw.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts