Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

My first post here, I am renting an apartment in a private home with Rogers Cable service included in rent, I was given a Rogers box Cisco DTA 50 there are two apartments, my neighbor was given the big box with clock display, he gets different channels than me including Sportsnet which shows the Toronto Bluejays which is what I want, I get TSN

Is this because of the box ?

Thank you

Dan

·
Registered
64 Posts
No, its the package that you ordered. You need to see what package you have. If you just signed up then you probably have the simple package which does not include any sports channels.

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
Also, IIRC, that DTA 50 is capable of only standard definition, which means most shows will be letter boxed in a 4:3 image. It sounds like your landlord may be sharing their TV service with the tenants, which is against Rogers terms of service.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
EDIT CORRECTION to my initial post.. didnt realize it was a HOUSE apartment..

JamesK is then correct.

TECHNICALLY for a full legal separate apartment in a house, it should be on its own full separate account.

But in the end, its the BOX which defines what channels. A DTA, regadless of what package or else, would only get 1-60 odd in SD.
To get any better, a full box (likely in HD) would be needed.

·
Super Moderator
56,439 Posts
The DTA only gets the channels that were formerly available in analogue format. If you want more channels than that, then you need a proper STB and if you want HD, you need an HD STB. If the landlord is charging rent, then he is account splitting, which is against Rogers terms of service. You should really be paying for your own Rogers service, unless the landlord has a corporate/MDU-type account.

·
Super Moderator
56,439 Posts
They have to be, however, if the landlord is running a business, he should be a corporate/MDU-type customer. If he's simply a "normal" home-type customer, and if he's charging you rent, then he's account splitting. It happens a lot, but it's still against Rogers' terms of service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts