Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 8600 HD box has a Hard Drive and use to work as a PVR but Rogers has disabled that somehow. Anyone know if it is possible to renable the PVR capabilities on this box?

·
Super Moderator
56,436 Posts
Are you talking about the NextBox 2.0, otherwise known as an 8642? Rogers PVRs (8642, 9865) need to be activated on an account and connected to cable to boot/work. Is this PVR activated on an account and is it connected to an active RF-coax? If not, it won't work. Is this box black or Silver? I don't recall an 8600. There was an 8300HD/SD and 8642.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I was at my mothers, who recently had a box replaces by a tech on site.

She used to have a 4642.. this box is bigger..

It has a sticker on the front saying 8600HD. Its the size of a 8642.

My mom doesn't have any PVR capability..
My guess is they are refurbishing the older 8642s as HD boxes only?

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Per the Cisco site, there is an actual 8600HD that they produce - http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/video/at_home/Set-Tops/8000_STTs/Online_pdfs/Cisco-Explorer-8600HD-Series-8600HDC-Series-and-8640HDW-High-Definition-Set-Tops-User-Guide.pdf

Maybe Rogers is no longer rolling out 4642 and has replaced with 8600HD?

There is also a thread HERE that says someone else got one.

From the Cisco manual it appears maybe there is an eSATA port on the back? Maybe the OP can confirm if it is there. Perhaps Rogers will enable in the future to allow HD only boxes to be used with an external drive. I believe Dish Network in the USA did this many years back and then just charged a one-time fee for enabling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts