Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how the heck is that possible for them to decrease by 58GB is absolutely a complete screwjob i would understand if they went maybe down 20 or 30 but living on 2GB of internet a month is physically impossible, rogers is going to be getting one angry call very soon.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
They changed the bandwidth cap from unlimited to 60GB two years ago and then to 2GB over a year ago. You just noticed?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually no they didn't maybe for new customers but i've had it for 4 years now i just got the letter in the mail today with the notice saying that they are making changes to their rates and services and the changes take effect March 1st, 2010

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Previously existing customers were grandfathered. I guess they decided this year to get rid of the grandfathering too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also received that letter in the mail today. It's a complete joke. 2 GB limit with an extra $5 for every GB used after that. It says the maximum I can pay is $50 extra. Pleez. This is such a cash grab. Wouldn't want to be a CSR at Rogers these days as there are going to be alot of angry calls coming in, including one from me. Three months ago ultra-lite was $19.99/month for me, then it went up to $25.99 now it's going up to $27.99 and they're limiting it to 2GB? Not impressed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just received a letter from Rogers today. Exactly how the previous post says I have an Ultra Light Internet with Rogers. I been with them over 8 years. I used to have cable TV, Internet, Home phone and wireless with them. Now only internet and wireless. I couldn't believe what I read that they not only increasing the price second times over 4 months but reducing the data usage from 60 Gb to 2!Gb. How the hell they can do that? I would understand the price increasing and giving only 2Gb to NEW customers, but existing customers with 8 years loyalty? I'm leaving them if tomorrow I can't get a better deal. It is ridiculous. Please someone tell me is't not happening.

·
Registered
550 Posts
In my letter it says that over the past three months I've averaged 8.3GB/month. It says that they will charge me $5 per GB up to $50 above my monthly fee. Then they post a chart of the service levels, obviously to entice me to upgrade.

The letter is slyly threatening, and extremely insulting. It basically shows that my current service level is untenable and is telling me I really have to upgrade to at least Lite for $10 more. So basically it's a letter informing me that my rates are increasing by about 45 per cent, for all intents and purposes, without having the gall to actually say that, and by burying the truth in insulting platitudes.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
You could always switch to Bell.
IIRC, Bell's "lite" has had a 2GB cap since it was introduced. Rogers is just lowering their service to meet them. If you don't like Rogers' policies, you won't like Bell's either since they are just as bad. Overage fees from Bell and Rogers are a joke. Wholesale costs for data run about 10 cents/GB so they are being punitive for reasons other than infrastructure or data costs alone. Why not try Teksavvy? 5Mb DSL from them is $29.95/mo with a 200GB cap. The cap may change since Bell has been granted permission to charge their wholesale customers punitive data rates and they will have no choice but to pass them on. In any event, it's nice to deal with a company that has competent CSRs and respect for its customers.

·
Super Moderator
56,634 Posts
living on 2GB of internet a month is physically impossible
Actually it's not. You know how much I'm on the web and I've never gone over 2GB/mo, usually I'm 1 GB/mo. So, unless you're doing lots of down/up loading, it's quite easy to surf the web for hours a day and send lots of e-mail with 1 GB/mo. Certain packages are meant for certain types of customers and if you're not that type of customer, then you'll need to switch packages, or pay beyond the cap, or switch providers, your choice. My monthly history below (I'm on Express, with my wife):
Billing Period - Total Usage (GB) - Usage Allowance (GB) Additional Usage (GB) Usage Charge
Dec 1/09 - Dec 31/09 - 1 - 60 0 $0.00
Nov 1/09 - Nov 30/09 - 1 - 60 0 $0.00
Oct 1/09 - Oct 31/09 - 2 - 60 0 $0.00
Sep 1/09 - Sep 30/09 - 1 - 60 0 $0.00
Aug 1/09 - Aug 31/09 - 1 - 60 0 $0.00
Jul 1/09 - Jul 31/09 - 1 - 60 0 $0.00

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rogers needs to stop increasing high speed price

THIS IS TOO MUCH I HAVE BEEN Rogers high speed Ultra - Lite customer since Sept 2004 i am :mad: as hell

i just got the letter today saying they downgrading 60GB to 2GB for all the ROGERS GRANDFATHER members and plus they are increasing the price TO $27.99 also

BUT TAKING OUR 60GB FROM OUR GRANDFATHER CUSTOMER MEMBER AWAY IS WRONG THEY CROSS THE LINE

for past years they have increase $10 TO $15 + added MODEM FEE $3 for the Ultra - Lite and Lite's MEMBERS starting around 2005

they are going to increase the price every , every year until we are broke :confused:

this what they going to do Rogers high speed price PLAN in the near future

watch i bet you we will get another increase NEXT march
if i am correct

IF WE GET ANOTHER PRICE INCREASE NEXT MARCH (LETS HOPE NOT)

THIS IS HOW IT GOING TO LOOK

ROGERS TIME-LINE

MARCH 1, 2009

Ultra - Lite $25.99
Lite $35.99
EXPRESS $46.99
EXTREME $59.99
EXTREME PLUS $69.99
ULTIMATE $99.99

MARCH 1, 2010

Ultra - Lite $27.99
Lite $35.99
EXPRESS $46.99
EXTREME $59.99
EXTREME PLUS $69.99
ULTIMATE $99.99

MARCH 1, 2011

Ultra - Lite $30.99
Lite $37.99
EXPRESS $49.99
EXTREME $62.99
EXTREME PLUS $72.99
ULTIMATE $102.99

MARCH 1, 2011

Ultra - Lite $33.99
Lite $40.99
EXPRESS $52.99
EXTREME $65.99
EXTREME PLUS $75.99
ULTIMATE $105.99

MARCH 1, 2012

Ultra - Lite $36.99
Lite $43.99
EXPRESS $55.99
EXTREME $67.99
EXTREME PLUS $77.99
ULTIMATE $107.99

PLUS MODEM RENTAL FEE FROM $3 TO $4-$5 IN THE NEXT 1-2YEARS

i remember we had great plans

Ultra - Lite
$19.95 NO MODEM FEE
60GB

Lite
$19.95 NO MODEM FEE
60GB

Express
$34.99 NO MODEM FEE

THOSE DAYS ARE OVER WE WILL NEVER SEE THOSE PRICE AGAIN UNLESS IF THERE ANOTHER ISP PROVIDER OUT THERE OR WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT

lets all start a petition TO STOP Rogers INCREASING HIGH SPEED PRICE PLAN EVERY YEAR AND BRING OUR 60GB BACK WE HAVE A MONTH LEFT TO USE OUR 60GB AND THEN DOWNGRADING TO 2GB ALL MEMBERS EVEN GRANDFATHER MEMBERS

I KNOW YOU GUYS FEELING THE SAME THING

DON'T WANT SEE THESE PRICE IN THE NEAR FUTURE
COME BY MARCH 1ST 2010 ROGERS WILL A LOTS OF ANGRY CUSTOMERS CALLING IN

·
Registered
550 Posts
Last night I toured the web visiting some regular stops and looking at netbooks and other DSL providers. My usage for the day was 165MB. Multiplied by 30 would put me at 5GB for the month. The previous day I did 30MB, which would put me under, but that was a few minutes bare bones.

·
Registered
699 Posts
its just a way to squeeze more money out of their existing customers who are too lazy to switch or don't have any other option in their location.

They say that internet is not an essential service like electricity or gas...so people have no leg to stand on when complaining.

I would argue that it is increasingly becoming an essential service in many homes. I cant imagine living without it anymore...and they know that.

Never use their given emails as your main email...that way you are free to switch to another provider quickly and painlessly.

If you cant drop their internet because of your location drop their other services to make up the difference.;)

·
Registered
569 Posts
living on 2GB of internet a month is physically impossible

Actually it's not.
Perhaps in a single-PC, single-user environment with much of your use on largely-text forums, but you couldn't possibly do that with more users (esp. adding a little one or two), visiting graphics-intensive sites.

With thirteen network-enabled devices in the house, a couple of (non teen) little ones, VOIP and streaming media, I'm having a difficult time staying within the bounds of the extreme cap.

Robbers policy is clearly designed to;

- Offer a low-cost "me too" package to compete w/ Hell et al on marketing

- Shift the majority of it's user-base to higher-priced, better-margin plans

- Install punitive caps to defray cable defections to torrent for video content

- Entice customers to use more bandwidth: offer VOD and charge said overages despite the fact that this content comes from their servers, not the internet

On the whole, I have no argument with Rogers service. In my 2yrs back in the province I've found it rock solid. However, IMHO, their business practices leave a LOT to be desired.

If Rogers was decent, they'd offer (like Bell) "insurance" at $5/mo for 40GB or thereabouts, but I guess it's more profitable to continually tighten the bandwidth screws and rake in punitive overage charges.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
2 GB/month is just a ridiculous money grab by Rogers.

-Mike

·
Registered
550 Posts
Install punitive caps to defray cable defections to torrent for video content
I'm not sure how this all works, but right now my internet is relatively slow (Ultra-Lite). I watch TV on my TV (Rogers Cable). But if I take the bait and switch to Lite or Express, then I'll get much faster speeds and think, "hmmm, maybe I'll download that movie or TV show." So in that way they seem to be baiting me to defect from cable. It's backwards.

Question: I don't have a land phone. Only cell. Can I still get DSL? I assume my apartment line is still active. Thanks.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm not sure how this all works, but right now my internet is relatively slow (Ultra-Lite). I watch TV on my TV (Rogers Cable). But if I take the bait and switch to Lite or Express, then I'll get much faster speeds and think, "hmmm, maybe I'll download that movie or TV show." So in that way they seem to be baiting me to defect from cable. It's backwards.

Question: I don't have a land phone. Only cell. Can I still get DSL? I assume my apartment line is still active. Thanks.
I don't see the Express offer as baiting you from cable, because @ 1.5GB/hour for 720p video (about half for compressed/lossy AVI) i.e. you can't possibly replace your cable service w/ a 60GB/mo bandwidth cap.

Having said that, Rogers is baiting us w/ VOD, but if you "enjoy" it too much, you'll pay a heavy price in overage penalties.

Finally, you CAN get dry-loop DSL without having a land-line.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I don't use it, but apparently, the new internet version (rogersondemand.com) IS counted against your bandwidth usage, which IMHO, is nothing short of theft, since the content is delivered from Rogers servers to you, rather than coming from the WWW.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts