Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I figured I would ask this question here since it is related to Rogers cable.

Just wondering if anyone knows if you can pay Rogers some kind of fee to run a cable line to a house in a Rural area? The area I am speaking of is in Cambridge on Clyde Road, which isn't too far from the city and I am sure isn't too far from an area that is serviced by Rogers.

I tried contact Rogers, but I can't seem to find anyone that really knows how to answer this question.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

If this post is in the wrong section, please let me know which section I should post this in.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Your best bet would be for you to call ROGERS directly. I don't think they'll put a line unless lots of $$$ is to be made. Unlike satellite.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried calling Rogers, but whenever I get someone, they can't seem to give me a definitive answer.

I don't mind investing the $$$ to put it in given that I plan on making the home my final spot, just want to know if it is even an option.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information regarding Shaw.

I hope Rogers has a department that does this.

In regards to the Shaw thread, can't believe the person was complaining for paying $3500 to get the cable drop.

Quite frankly, if Rogers can get Cable that will give me high def and Internet to a Rural location for under $15K, I am sold.

Will try Rogers again on Monday.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am a Rogers customer and think they are better than the satelite providers, but why pay them anything, let alone 15k, to bring the service to you? You have a number of satelite providers who can bring in close to what Rogers can. For internet may be able to go with high speed DSL through the phone line. You mention you are in rural Cambridge, but your city is growing fast and at some point Rogers will probably service your area at no extra cost to you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Laying Cable

I myself looked into the cost of cable being brought to my house....for approx. 2km of cable service, I was quoted (Cogeco) 50k.....I stuck with Bell rural!

·
Banned
117 Posts
a friend of mine was 620 ft from the cable end and rogers quoted them 13,000 as they were charging them for the amps and all, so needless to say they went with Bev lol

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
just so you guys know, for one customer its not worth the cost to bring a cable line in, but for multiple customers, the cost per household is reduced greatly.

Those of you who live in a subdivision with cable, you paid for the costs indirectly in the price of your house, but its split among your neighbours, so they maximized the utilization of the infastructure.

It will always cost more for ONE customer, but if you can get some neighbours together who also want rogers, and divide the cost, providing there is a similar amount of installation is required for each home, it might reduce your costs by a lot. look into this if you wish.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old, but I thought I'd add my own experience to the record.
I used to live on a "rural" street within the city of Kitchener; it was surrounded by urban development and, in fact, walking distance from the city's largest shopping mall and apartment district. In the mid-1990s, I wrote a letter to the local Rogers office (serving the Grand River area) asking why my street continued to be excluded from their service territory even after they opted to string new fibre lines to a node for a new upscale subdivision adjacent to the existing road. Rogers' head office excuse was that their average costs to run aerial or buried trunk lines were approximately $20,000 per kilometre and that if I wanted to proceed, they'd be more than welcome to make payment arrangements -- guffaw!! :rolleyes:
No extra amps or other gear was necessary; they were just spewing scripted reasons to dismiss my intent to be a new customer. Keep in mind that there was only a quarter mile (0.6 kilometres) from the nearest cable TV tap-off to my house with roughly a dozen other houses in-between and 15 to 20 utility poles along the run. Kitchener Utilities then installed a natural gas pipeline along the same stretch of roadway to serve literally two customers; sure, a few more have likely hooked in since then, but nobody was required to cough up any extra money for the initial connection.
I subsequently wrote to the Cable Television Standards Council who claims it was an issue with Kitchener-Wilmot Hydro not agreeing to have Rogers share space on their utility poles; bullcrap since they've inched closer, one residence at a time, in the years that have passed. At the time, I was even a volunteer at Rogers TV and tried to leverage that to no avail, so I became a Bell ExpressVu subscriber and never looked back at the obnoxious clowns of Rogers Cable. Basically, if you're not on a cable company's pre-existing customer tap/drop, you're nothing to them and good luck waiting for them to take the "risk" of expanding service to your neighbourhood. Even if you threw $20k at them, they'd probably bungle it up and/or take years to finish the job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts