Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rogers Cable customers upset about new Quickstart menu

Jump to Latest

Rogers Cable last week began the roll-out of its Quickstart menu to Digital Cable customers in Ontario.

The new menu, which Digital Home first told our readers about in November, is now spooling to select Rogers digital cables north and east of Toronto.

Provided the company does not encounter any implementation issues, customers in Toronto should see the new menuing system in coming weeks.

Early feedback from Digital Home readers using the Quickstart menu has been extremely negative. Readers complain that the new menu is more style than substance. Subscribers tell Digital Home, they would preferred that rather than adding a pretty new (see screenshots below) digital cable menu, Rogers should have invested in redesigning and improving its tired 2004 era Interactive program guide (IPG) with its 4:3 aspect ratio.

While a few readers have offered faint praise by saying the Quickstart menu was "not a bad start" and "I kind of like the feature", the following is a sample of feedback Digital Home has received from our readers:
It's utterly useless, and causes an extra click to get to the guide itself (which is nothing to brag about in the first place). - alandh

seems more of a downgrade to me. - shieze

The more I use this the more I am annoyed. - Eug

Is there any way to get rid of this "Quick Start" Garbage!!!! I'm already paying Rogers, I don't need to be bombarded with Rogers advertising every time I want the program guide!
Plus having to press guide twice to get into the guide is not fun. Bring back the old way - realtycoon

it sucks i hate it. - actng

What a useless feature. Seems the marketing types had an idea that this might make you more likely to find/buy their On Demand offerings. All it means to me is an extra click to get to the IPG, which has not changed. - frankied

I absolutely despise this feature -dcomp11

The quick start menu is horrible. I wish there was a way to disable it. - craiger

I find it quite useless and annoying. - klondike

The following screenshots show the new Quickstart IPG.

Give us your thoughts on the Quickstart Menu in our Rogers Digital Cable forum .

51 Replies

·
Registered
85 Posts
Rogers just can't get anything right. The organization is so far from customer centric as possible, operating as government monopoly where their will and needs are in the driver seat - not the wants or desires of the customers. Welcome to the 1980s business model.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This totally misses the mark .

Its all sizzle and no steak. Nothing more than a teaser.

For example, I was glad to see an option for HD channels, but is useless - there is no prerview for any channel other that the one you were on before entering the guide! You can scroll thoughrHD channel selections, but there is no preview!! And even if you ask for info one channel at a time, all it tells you the name of the channel - not even the name of the current program. Its absolutely and utterly useless.

As well, the IPG itself need a major makeover! I dont thinks its changed much in the last 8 years. It reamins very low-tech ; cant even search for programs. Totally archaic.

Rogers needs a way to solicit user input.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gone to Bell. At least they respect their clients.
The worst decision since Ted Rogers passed. He is rolling in his grave.
The dorks are loose in the Rogers henhouse..
Escape while you can, do you know that they are planning to place an ad BEFORE you can access any channel? Next July.

C

·
0 Posts
I think if they do that ad placement idea. That will be the straw that broke the camels back for a lot of people. I for one wouldn't tolerate it for a second. I've stuck with rogers through a lot of their crap. But if they go ahead with this, I won't hesitate to jump ship over to Bell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hate it! Rogers should have consulted with its customers as to what they want. Now we have to hit the guide button twice and still scroll through a bunch of channels on the guide that we don't subscribe to. It would be more helpful if Rogers would give the option to disable it and also allow us to exclude the channels from the guide that we don't subscribe to; these would be more useful features. Any new channels added to the line-up could automatically appear in the guide so the subscriber is aware of the new channels and then exclude them from view on the guide.

Rogers keeps saying they have the favorite button but I like to use the guide and not flick through channel after channel with the favourite button.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This crap was designed from the ground up to make sure that you keep 'tripping' over the channels you don't subscribe to.
Designed by greedy accountants to improve revenue. Being better and more friendly for consumer is just a glossy coating they tried to throw on top.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If Rogers could offer an opt-out feature, I'd
ask to go back to the former IPG.

This "enhanced" IPG is not worth it.

Maybe Rogers should consider wanting
to serve subscribers with meaningful
services rather than concern themselves
with their shareholders.

C

·
0 Posts
Really, the QSG just "rolled out" to my area this afternoon. I was home for exactly 30 seconds before I was infuriated. Cardinal rule of GUI design is to not require more/greater input to achieve the same task. I am now one click further away from their lame program guide. Wow. Stupendously, staggeringly, mind-numbingly bad. Idiots.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So... to get to the program guide now I have to wait a second for something called a "quick start menu" to load and then click again? Really?? Is this a joke and I'm missing the disable option?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rogers better make a menu option to disable this, or they will not get into my wallet any more. Cramming in features I don’t want and charging me more for the privilege. I don’t care what your focus groups say, or how much your middle managers need to justify their existence. Concentrate on running a solid network, and use my money to pay the content providers. This garbage must stop.

C

·
0 Posts
This 'feature', and I use the term loosely, is the biggest piece of garbage Rogers has dumped on it's customers in a while. Within 30 seconds of it appearing I was looking for the disable option. This is just one more reason why I am seriously considering giving up pay TV all together. The service is expensive, the hardware is expensive, the programming sucks and the interface just got worse. If it weren't for HD sports I probably would have cable at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the quick start menu is extremely annoying...
it clearly does not improve on the guide..
i would like to be able to disable this 'free' feature..
i am not happy about having to double click to get to the guide.
i hope that Rogers listens to all the negative comments regarding the quick start.. and removes it right away..

·
Registered
1 Posts
garbage garbage garbage. I just want the freak program guide. That's it! I want to click one button on the remote and get t he program listing. Both the "menu' and the 'guide' button go straight to the 'quick menu.' The least they could have done is give you the option to go straight to the program listing with one of those buttons???? I called to complain and ask if there was a bypass. They said no.
Idiots.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This new quick start menu is such piece of garbage! and it's 4:3 to boot. What a waste of time.

I called Rogers and the CSR explained that there was no way to disable it. She also said she doesn't mind it since she doesn't watch much TV --yes, she really said that. She also said that with the new menu I could pick to watch 6 news channels at a time, of course I can also do that much quicker by simply tuning directly to channel 179. Rogers, admit it, you f*cked up and remove this piece of garbage please!

·
Registered
1 Posts
With this latest nonsense I have officially had it with Rogers. I say we all cancel them and spend more time convincing Canada what a worthless bunch of craps for a Company they are and maybe in some bright happy day they will fold. I know they're the only choice for some channels but I'd rather miss them than pay these people a single cent more.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I love that this is what they consider an 'upgrade'. Not making the existing guide easier to navigate, or having it only show the channels I'm currently subscribed to, which would be awesome.

No, instead I get weather reports and crappy cellphone games. What am I paying these guys for, anyway?

I also love that one of the things they tout for it is that I can now easily access "Rogers OnDemand". WTF? There's a button for that on my Rogers remote. Instead of just clicking that button, I can now go through another complicated menu? Wow. Thanks Rogers... for nuthin'.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If this is an upgrade it's an upgrade for Rogers. A way to sell more stations or movies. I just want to push one button to get to the guide and I only want to see the stations I get.

1 - 19 of 52 Posts