Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a discussion with a Rogers CSR relating to the quality of my signal strength in my home for cable. One of the things she asked was how long I had my boxes for. I told her that they were both less than a year old. I asked her why she was asking and she mentioned that if your box is around 2 years old or so that you should consider getting new ones if you are renting as the reliability drops off after that.

If that is true why would anyone ever consider purchasing one of these clunkers? a two year reliability barely covers off your return on investment?

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
Definitely making stuff up. I've had my PVR for almost 6 years and several STBs for almost that long. As a matter of fact, if it's working, keep it.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Although I agree the units are workhorses, why would a CSR make that kind of thing up? Somehow I think something was lost in the translation.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
In my experience, CSRs are prone to have something happen to them a few times, and assume that there is a vast problem affecting everything in the company based on those few occurrences. Perhaps the making stuff up isn't malicious or purposeful, but definitely the result or someone who doesn't really know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
as the reliability drops off after that
Well, considering Rogers rents out those same boxes, they'll be setting themselves up for some huge service costs, if that were true. Many here will remember the phones Bell provided, before people could buy their own. Those phones were virtually indestructible because Bell wanted something that would work reliably, without generating a lot of service costs.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
The only problem I've ever had with Rogers digital boxes is buggy software. SA makes great stuff.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
She must mean the PVRs because they contain hard drives. The other boxes don't have any moving parts. I too have had several boxes for well over 5 years without a hint of any trouble.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts