Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A press release today states that Rogers Broadcasting has bought CHST-FM (102.3 BOB FM) London from CTVglobemedia, subject to regulatory approval.

The next question is, what will Rogers do with the station? Will they call it Jack FM and keep the existing music format? Will they try to become more of an oldies or classic rock station?

Also, does Rogers have other London stations in mind? Their FAN radio network has a local affiliate in CJBK 1290, but it does not carry much FAN programming compared to what it has room carry after local programming.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Rogers is likely looking at picking up Blackburn's yet to launch 98.1 FM, give it a few years though. Rogers wanted the frequency to launch a KISS 92.5 Top 40 clone station... well all the Applications wanted Top 40 except Blackburn who went AAA. Funny Tidbit, Rogers also applied to use the 102.3 frequency before CHUM got it to launch Star 102.3. However rogers will never get any Astral London stations (maybe 1410, just to shut off the transmitter). Astral has one of the highest rated clusters in London (EzRock, BX93, CJBK).

I could see Rogers flipping BOB to full Classic Rock (The format hole left open from 103.9's flip, kinda filled by BOB, FM96 and 103.9FM) or flipping to Top 40 which is served by out-of-market 91.5 the Beat.

Either way the era of the Non-VT'ed BOB-FM evening & weekend shifts are likely over, looking at Rogers other stations and the voice-tracked mess they are.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah...it seems to me Rogers VT's some of their Northern Ontario stations (EZ Rock 100.5 Sault Ste. Marie, Q92 Sudbury, etc.) on weekday afternoons. From an Ottawa studio no less.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Today, BOB FM was at Victoria Park for a [something]-fest (there's so many, it's hard to keep track of) and I asked Jackie, an employee who was handing out BOB window clings & rub-on tattoos (as well as ring toss for prizes; crappy DVDs like 'Birth' next a big BOB-branded SUV) if they'd be rebranding and she said no, they're staying w/ the BOB ID. I also asked if they'll move out of the CFPL building and she said they had a 10 year lease, but they'll probably move out eventually. So there you have it. BOB stays. That's good.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Being from a monster FM radio dial here in the Windsor/Detroit/Toledo area when in London I have always been amazed at how under serviced London is on FM.With 400,000 metro pop. or more a U.S. city that size would have alot more to offer.I am wondering if London has alot of sat radio subs???

·
Registered
160 Posts
Windsor/Detroit/Toledo doesn't seem like a fair comparison to London. Maybe we should tack on Kitchener as well. I think radio in Canada is just different than in the US. I mean, how many FM stations does Toronto have? If you compare that, then London is over served.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts