Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
With all the recent cutbacks and so-called loss of ad revenue it would appear that another "news" channel may not be the greatest thing going. The CRTC still amazes me with it's rationale to allow the channel to operate alongside CP24........City for the GTA and CP24 for Ontario. At least lawyers have some degree of job security writing decisions for the CRTC.

·
Super Moderator
16,719 Posts
The licence will be subject to the conditions set out in Introductory statement – Licensing of new digital pay and specialty services
Looks like you're out of luck (unless CITY can figure out how to make your loonies fly over an OTA antenna.)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
In a broadcasting decision handed down yesterday, the CRTC has approved an application by Rogers to operate a new English-language All News specialty channel that would serve the Greater Toronto area.

This decision is hilarious. First let me say that I am all for competition and would prefer that any company that wants to start a TV station should be allowed.

The reason this is a ridiculous decision is that the CRTC has tried to rationalize that this station won't compete with CP24 (CityPulse News) in Toronto.

Its clear that the people who handed down this decision have never been to Toronto!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Will this channel be only on Rogers Cable like NY1 in new York city is to Time Warner.I have Bell express and CP24 isn't even covering the downtown core very much and is going down the tubes.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
corry20, going to have to ask Bell that question. My guess is the only one that will pick this up is Rogers since Rogers pretty much has Toronto sewn up.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
ANother Channel to be Allocated to CityTv? WHy not just make CityTVGTA . rogers should worry about getting all the other channels are suppsot to be on the lineup befoire they launch their own channel.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Look who came out swinging today with this announcement

http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_30021.aspx - Rogers/CityTV point of view
http://cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20081210/081210_cp24ctv/20081211/?hub=CP24Home - CTVgm/Chum/CP24 point of view

Looks as if CP24 is now CTV News Toronto as they have switched over the local CFTO newscasts for the noon, 6pm and 11pm newscasts. This new CityNews station or whatever they will call it will be CityTV based. Looks like they will compete heads up against each other. Wouldn't surprise me if it only winds up on Rogers and not on BellTV, which may prompt Rogers to remove CP24 from its cable lineup...

·
Banned
844 Posts
CP24 does not have mandatory carriage, its an analogue specialty channel.

Check out the home page for CP24, it says 'Toronto's Breaking News', so much for Southern Ontario. I think the CRTC needs to take a seminar on 'How to enforce rules', when you put rules in place you have to make sure that people are actually following them or else there is no point in even having them in the first place.

I don't see what CTV is getting all riled up about, the CRTC stated that they are opening up the news and sports genres to competition so Rogers (and anyone else for that matter) has every right to start up a news channel if they want to. I guess Canadian broadcasters are not too familiar with the concept of competition as they haven't had to do alot of it thanks to the CRTC giving them a defacto monopoly. ;)

·
Super Moderator
16,719 Posts
From the CRTC link in post 1:
CTVgm also expressed concern that, because Rogers is the dominant cable distributor in Southern Ontario, its proposed service would receive carriage and priority channel placement, making it more widely distributed than CP24, which could have a substantial negative impact on CP24’s distribution. In response, Rogers pointed out that, unlike CITY New (Toronto), The Weather Network and CP24 both enjoy mandatory carriage, low channel placement, high brand awareness and are authorized to collect a basic wholesale rate.

·
Registered
275 Posts
CityNews Channel will probably be mapped to Channel 1 on Rogers Digital Cable, i have a funny feeling or they'll pull a jerk move and put it on either Channel 23 or 25 :p...

I'm not a fan of the new CP24 so i'm all for City relaunching what they created.

Can CITY run this on a digital-subchannel like NBC affilaites do with Weather Plus in the US or are Canada's regulations different?

Rogers will probably try and get carriage for the channel on other services, but not sure if anybody will bite.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
CityNews Channel will probably be mapped to Channel 1 on Rogers Digital Cable, i have a funny feeling or they'll pull a jerk move and put it on either Channel 23 or 25 :p...
Last I checked, channel plasement of stations was at the sole descretion of the BDU. By no means does Rogers Cable HAVE to have CP24 on channel 24. They could put it on channel 125 if they wanted as long as it met all the other requirements of it being a mandatory analogue station on the basic tier. They could then put the new CityNews station on 24 if they so pleased. I doubt this will happen but its always an obtuse option...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I can't see Rogers pulling CP24 off channel 24, especially replacing it with CityNews Channel. That's just asking for trouble with the crtc. Not to mention the carriage agreement between CP24 and Rogers may even specify channel 24, which could open them up to legal action from CTVglobemedia (just speculation)

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Not to mention the carriage agreement between CP24 and Rogers may even specify channel 24, which could open them up to legal action from CTVglobemedia (just speculation)
Well that would be the kicker to the entire thing, but if that isn't there then they could do as they see please...

·
Banned
844 Posts
The Weather Network and CP24 both enjoy mandatory carriage, low channel placement, high brand awareness and are authorized to collect a basic wholesale rate.
This refers to the 'old' TV environment (see Analogue), in the new digital universe neither of those channels has mandatory carriage (as far as I know). I have a list of all mandatory channels, as authorized by the CRTC, CP24 is not on the list- if you like I can post it.

Rogers will probably try and get carriage for the channel on other services, but not sure if anybody will bite.
This is a Regional news channel for the GTA, so the only other carrier that might have any interest is Cogeco which serves Halton region. Bell or Star Choice probably won't carry it since it is designed to serve a specific audience in a specific part of the country (Greater Toronto area).

I don't know of any regional news channels in the US that are available outside of their service area meaning through other cable companies or on satellite. Not sure why people think that every BDU should carry this channel?! Come to think of it, I am not even sure why CP24 is available everywhere when it is a regional service as well?!

·
Super Moderator
16,719 Posts
PlayitSimple, CP24 is a regional channel and is not mandatory on national lists. The original licence made it mandatory on cable for certain cities in southern Ontario and that has not changed as far as I know. MTS TV is the only provider to carry it that does not serve the region. (MTS TV is a telco licensed for certain Manitoba cities.)

The quote about what you call the "old" TV environment was made by Rogers in its submission to the CRTC this year. I presume they know their own business.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Rogers just has to name this new channel CityNews24 and put it on Channel 24 to really piss CTV off (and probably prompt a lawsuit)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I think they name it CITY24 and place it right next to CP24 i bet CP24 will rebraNDed to CTV24

CP24 - is really Cablepulse24 which is a CityTv News Program- Now that Citytv is owned by rogers Now and CP24 is owned by CTVGlobemedia a rebrand is possible

1 - 20 of 51 Posts