Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a mailer today from Rogers explaining the increases....

According to Rogers, their costs have gone up 10% this year, Rogers will absorb much of the increases but some of the cable packages will go up by no more than 5%.

I will try to scan and upload later today.

Keith

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just got the same communication.

Bad timing Rogers. You would think with all the new taxes the Gov't is levying this month, they would hold off a few months.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Thanks to callummcgraw, a scan of price increases

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
is it just me or is the Digital Plus package really attractive right now, also no increases too ;)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
The supposed 10% increase in costs is bull.

According to Rogers Communications most recent financial statements, adjusted operating profits at Cable operations for the first three months of this year rose 10% to $449 million on a 6% increase in revenues and a 3% increase in operating expenses.

So expenses did NOT go up 10%. In fact, in the discussion, they said costs went up because the number of digital cable and HDTV subscribers went up (i.e./ slightly higher operating costs) so their fixed costs actually went up less than 3%

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can understand a small price increase every three or four years or whatever, but 5% a year since 2007? How can they justify that?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Actually its more than 5% per year for those with bundles who saw their discounts reduced.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Heh,
I've been 2 years a cable-free so thank you Rogers for reminding me why ;)

Now,
really need to switch my mobile phone to a better provider in the area and,
I'll be officially divorced from that company :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
VIP is the most popular package - $63.48 + a box ($4.49) + tax is expensive - I don't care who you are. Make it HD with the HD Specialty channel pak -$97/mth - I don't know how "normal" people can afford cable and food.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Goodbye Rogers

Hello,

I live in the East York area of Toronto.

In a few days I will be making a call to Rogers to give them my required 30 days notice that I will be canceling my CABLE. When Rogers told me a few months ago that I’d have to commit to them for a few more years in order to continue getting my bundles discount, I told them to remove my discount and that I would be reviewing my options.

First, to be positive about Rogers, I never had bad customer service with them. I feel the people who work there are well-trained and try to be as helpful as they can be. I’m not dissatisfied with Rogers customer service or even their cable “product.” I just feel at this point that the free TV available now over-the-air is good enough for my needs. Not all will agree with me, but some of you might.

On Friday, June 4, my antenna installer will be coming to my place to install a small $60 TV antenna on my roof. I have already tested it and I receive NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, CW, MyTV, PBS, (sometimes) ION, and other US stations, along with CBC, CTV, Global, Omni 1, Omni 2, SunTV, CBC French, CityTV, TVOntario (HD in a few more months), CHCH, CTS -- all of these in crystal clear digital and/or HD - for free over-the-air.
Plus I get additional digital standard definition sub channels. Altogether between 25 and 30 different stations are available for people in the GTA. No more snowy, static-y pictures - now it comes in clear digital. HD is less compressed than Rogers.

By the way, if you have the guts to climb onto your roof and install yourself, you should be up-and-running with an antenna, wire, distribution amps for splitting to multiple TVs for the price of $100-$200. Professional installation costs seem to range from $100-$250. In my case, for what I consider a deluxe package OTA, the total cost with a professional installation + equipment will be the equivalent of about three to four months worth of cable bills. Even if I cancel cable for only a few months and later change my mind, I’ll still make my money back.

I’m going to upgrade my computer for a few hundred bucks, turn it into a PVR. and learn how to watch TV online (I think I can watch MythBusters on the Discovery website).

When I try to place a value on the service that I get from Rogers Cable TV here is my thinking: All of the above-listed TV stations are of no value because those TV stations are broadcasting the signal out to the world and they WANT us to pull them in for free. So, I guess I’m paying Rogers $101/month for the cable-only channels. Hmm. For me, it doesn’t make sense.

Some people are sports nuts, or their kids love MuchMusic, and some people have a big tree in front of their house blocking the signals for free TV. Those people get a great value from Rogers. But, I reckon there are a lot of people like me who, once they find out about how many free HD/digital channels are available OTA, will decide it’s time to kiss cable goodbye.

Isn’t it funny how what is old is new again? Changing from analog broadcasting to digital has revolutionized free over-the-air TV. I’m guessing most people don’t hear about it because there is no profit in it for anyone to spread the word. Posting this message is my way of spreading the word.

If you don't know about Over-The-Air TV you should go to the OTA forums section on digitalhome.ca and learn more about it. http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=81

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Yup!!! Same here... More reminders as to how happy I am but all gone from these robbers...

And to my delight, this also pushed my parents and they called and canceled all their Rogers services today!!!!

·
Registered
326 Posts
HWP,

I completely agree. I live in the Vancouver area, I have access to 5 HD channels (CTV, CBC, Global, City-TV and Omni), and one analog channel (/A\ Channel, soon to go digital/HD). I'm too far away from the American towers to catch them, but I can also use my HTPC to watch any of the American shows that are not carried by the Canadian networks. I still use cable for my Internet-only connection. But my TV viewing is strictly OTA, perfectly clear, and HD (even with a 4-way splitter to connect 4 HDTVs).

Been OTA for a year (June 2009), don't regret it at all. (your results may vary)

·
Registered
265 Posts
lol. Seems to me not long ago the providers "claimed" that Piracy was one of the big reasons for the rising costs. Seems to me the prices are still skyrocketing even more that most piracy has been shut down completely. So much for that argument Rogers. Who's the pirating who now?

With less and less disposable income I hope more cancel..

·
Registered
68 Posts
I used to have Ultimate TV pack until they switch me to VIP for one year for the same price. After this offer was over I wanted to come back to same old package I had but couldn't since it wasn't available. Talk about bait and switch.

I couldn't justify the VIP price since I only wanted a couple of the channels it offered. So I have been a basic package with my bough HD PVR since. I have been using cable less and less lately and now that summer is here I have been thinking of canceling all together. This price increase is what is pushing and I will be calling Rogers to cancel the service. With all the free show on the internet now and Boxee Box, Google TV, and the next Apple TV there is no need for cable anymore.

Oh and I might look into this OTA stuff. My grandparents used to have it and they had the best picture quality on the block back in the day!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I can understand a small price increase every three or four years or whatever, but 5% a year since 2007? How can they justify that?
They'll keep justifying it as long as we, sheep, keep paying. That's why I refuse to upgrade to HD or increase my Internet speed. I am already giving Rogers to much of my pay cheque.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
In all honesty what can you do?

Leave?

Sure and go where?
BTV? SD? They too raise the prices every year so your not better off going there.

reduce your package?

Sure, but that only hurts you, not Rogers. For every person that decrease a package there someone increase theirs.It only hurts you because its you that ends up missing channels & programing that you want to see.

Its a catch 22

You leave Rogers go to BTV. Rogers looses one sub, but gains another one from a sub that leaves BTV.

Its goes round and round and round.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
In all honesty what can you do?
Cut back on your packages, switch to OTA, Switch to Shaw Direct or Bell TV. Search as these options have been discussed many times on the forum.

The fact that people continue to spend more with Rogers and continue to sign up for more services from Rogers tells me that people feel they are getting their money's worth.

To say its "too expensive" and then not do anything about it is silly.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts