Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rogers Analogue to Digital Migration - Read Post 1

276K views 493 replies 94 participants last post by  Charles Selig 
#1 · (Edited)
There is mention in another thread that Rogers is testing a new digital adaptor - the DTA 50 - pdf link below: You will note that this is a very basic adaptor with only RF-coax out.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps8611/ps8612/ps10771/7016863.pdf (This is a pdf. Note that the IR extender mentioned is not included in the Rogers package)

DTA & FAQs: http://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/network-enhancement/170

Rogers will be moving some analogue channels to the digital tier from 2012 on. As time passes, Rogers will eventually be all digital, with even basic cable no longer analogue

This is happening with all cable service providers as they need the bandwidth for additional services - VOD, more HD, etc. There are already existing threads on this topic in Shaw, Eastlink, Videotron and Cogeco forums where the process has begun (links below).

Most times the provider will (for now) keep a basic lineup of analogue channels shifting non-basic channels to the digital tier, sometime in stages, sometimes all at once. Rogers will provide a free adaptor to assist customers still on analogue, but who have more channels than basic.

Anyone with additional (confirmed) information on this process at Rogers is encouraged to post in this thread. This is not regarding the occasional channel that has been shifted to digital, but rather a series of channels - usually those over channel 28 or so, depending on location.

Rogers already has at least one digital STB in more than 85% of their (Ontario) cable customer homes, so this will affect those people who have analogue service beyond analogue basic and/or TVs without STBs. There is a possibility that this will affect all analogue customers, so any information regarding that would also be useful, but I suspect that is not the case at this time - (shifting all channels to digital.)

Here's a link with FAQs on the DTAs. Thanks to danteA for this info and for blazing the trail.

The DTAs will only tune the analogue channels that you had before you added the DTA - roughly channels 2-70, plus a couple of others in higher numbers (95, 96, 129, 130). The DTA will not tune the same digital channels as a STB and it won't get the various music channels. As far as we can tell, the basic channels (2-28) will remain analogue for a while longer, unless we hear confirmation otherwise.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1371457#post1371457

This thread should not be used to gripe about this process since this is inevitable and will proceed. Any comments regarding Clear QAM or CableCARD will also be deleted since those topics are discussed elsewhere.

Here are the links for the other providers:

Cogeco: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=136537

Shaw: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=138005

Eastlink: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=124763

Videotron: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=143167

Of course Satellite and IPTV have always been 100% digital requiring STBs.

Channels moved/removed - Posts 159, 184, 192, 196, 198, 230, 235, 295 (May vary by area/Head End) Here's the list of channels removed so far or to be removed shortly:

American Movie Classics
BBC World News
BET
BNN
Comedy Network (East)
Family Channel
Food Network
HGTV
History Television
MTV
Ontario Legislature
Peachtree
The Score
SPACE
Spike
TELETOON (East)
Turner Classic Movies
TV5
TVtropolis (East)

Starting July 22, 2014: Discovery, Slice, Bravo, Showcase, CMT, OLN or Telelatino

Starting August 6, 2014: TLC, CNN, A&E, M3, TSN, MuchMusic or CPAC English

In 2015, many locations now have no analogue channels.

If you click the following link and scroll down, you'll find links for your specific area and the activity there:

www.rogers.com/TVadapter

See less See more
#2 ·
I recall, maybe incorrectly, that if a Cable Co got >85% of customers in an area with an STB that it could get rid of analogue signals altogether and insist that the remaining 15% had to have an STB. So I guess this new device will be the STB for those who just want the basic cable. It looks as if it would be cheap enough for Rogers to just give one to any customer who does not have an STB.

#7 ·
I'm thinking if Rogers is going to use these DTA's , that they will be given to customers free of charge for their extra outlets. I'm guessing this could be a very expensive endeavour for Rogers to be able to reclaim that bandwidth, and likely will take place over a number of years to complete the transition. I wonder what they cost Rogers per unit, probably under $40.00. I also think that Rogers will eventually use Ch2-6 like they do in Europe for Upstream bandwidth.

#8 ·
I don't know what the criteria is but I too think they will impose some kind of limit. Don't basic cable customers only get one outlet? if they have been splitting it to multiple TV's for years then they will be in for a big supprise. Rogers will finally have a way to enforce outlets now.

#10 ·
this is currently being tested in select area's and they are trying to push this on every customer the problem they are seeing is alot of people put tv's in kids rooms only for tree house complete nightmare now alot of nursing homes and homes for specail needs a another nightmare this will cause more service calls then they have ever seen in there time as so many people will jump ship to another provider! i personally am not looking forward to this as a cable tech i kno so many people that are goin to freak out and this will cause alot of issues as more house's are goin to need amps and rewires and customers who have had cable foe 20+ yrs on basic with no digital equp and have the 2nd tv out in there den are going to have to start paying for it even though they only use it 1 a mnth bad idea for everyone

Just me ???? i dont think so!

#11 ·
Good Idea or Bad Idea? I'm sure everyones entitled to their opinion and may not want to understand the reasoning behind this.

I too know lots of people that are only have basic cable one outlet but have a TV hooked up in the basement or the kids bedroom too. I'm not the cable police but if they have been getting away with it and now are being told to pay for add'l outlets then i am guessing the free ride is now over.

#13 ·
well this will take away one of the few advantages left of analogue cable...no boxes and no extra remotes for each tv. If they charge for the boxes and the extra outlets many people will be angry. The extra outlet charges is akin to charging per computer hooked up to the internet (I'm sure they are planning that next).

#14 ·
Another disadvantage:
If you have a VCR or DVD recorder, you'll need a second box dedicated to it (and pay any additional fees for it), if you want to watch TV while recording a different channel. Plus, for fully automated recording, the VCR or DVD recorder will need to have an IR blaster that is compatible with the box.

Otherwise, you're looking at a PVR as a replacement (again, possibly with additional fees).

#16 ·
Obviously we know about the limitations of VCR/DVD-R recording, its been well aware to many of us in the last 5 years or more who were using digital cable, satelite dish, and other methods.

We may not have the benefit of recording one channel and watching another on the Same TV no more, but even though vcr use has declined, we can still record a show we're watching currently.

In my house hold, I own 3 STB's so if im watching one program, and I want to record another, I usually set the recorder on my basement TV, once you get a routine and write out the steps on paper, it becomes easier. Most homes Ive been to have atleast 2 or 3 digital boxes anyways. so if people only want one, they are gonna have to sacrifice one thing for something else.

#18 ·
Another way Rogers is trying to gouge money from us. I too have two tv's one in the living room and the other in my bed room and paying that ridiculous extra outlet fee. When I move this winter I will not take Rogers with me. I had it with these guys!

Bell tv is becoming a better option now.

#19 ·
paying that ridiculous extra outlet fee...
Bell tv is becoming a better option now.
I know some people that bypassed the "ridiculous extra outlet fee" by covering up all but 1 of their TV's.

Also, how is Bell TV seen as a better option, you must have their receiver for the satellite and I think you can only have like 2 TV's on one or something. I also rarely get reception when it looks like it's going to rain and when it's raining even with 100% signal quality beforehand.

My question is will the channels going from analog to digital on Rogers remain unencrypted/unscrambled as currently?

#20 ·
Digital channels will be encrypted for the digital STBs or for QAM tuners, so no, they will not remain unencrypted. Any analogue channels left will be unencrypted (probably basic roughly ch 2-30).

I know some people that bypassed the "ridiculous extra outlet fee" by covering up all but 1 of their TV's.
Just as an FYI, Rogers has equipment that can see the cabling inside your home that's connected to the demarcation point. The only way to "hide" anything is by disconnecting the cable.

#22 ·
^^^^
What's the point of encrypting an analog signal? If they did that, they'd then have to provide a descrambler box to receive an analog signal. Why not just use digital instead?

Just as an FYI, Rogers has equipment that can see the cabling inside your home that's connected to the demarcation point.
Other than a time domain reflectometer (TDR) that shows imedance bumps, what might that equipment be? A properly terminated system should not show significant reflections.

#23 ·
these boxes come with a "tiny" remote size of a remote for a window air condtioner and timy buttons i can see the flow of people heading to other providers also they are install free of charge and once they notice so many people leaving they will change back i can see it happing they cant afford to loose to many customers\!

#24 ·
they will change back i can see it happing they cant afford to loose to many customers\!
The Rogers family is worth something like $5.9B, ofc they can afford it, will they want to, ofc not.
Now according to 57, Rogers already has like 85% of customers with STB's, you really think that keeping analog is best for everyone when it is just a burden to the 85% that could get more, whether it be bandwidth, speeds, VOD.
Perhaps some people will switch providers but analog has to be destroyed one day or another, it's inevitable.
I'd rather see all of analog go down than just chls 30+, I want me some more upload speed!

#25 ·
Not sure but I'm guessing the conversion frpm analgue to digital will be done in phases:
Teir 3 first
Teir 2 second
Teir 1 third
Highly doubtful. All three tiers will likely be migrated at the same time. This is pretty much how other cable systems in Canada do it.

What will likely happen though is it will probably changed in a phased approach market-by-market (i.e. not all markets will switch at the same time).

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
I believe Rogers has about 75% on digital cable (as of their last quarterly financials).

It maybe at least 1-2 years for them to reach 85%, unless they have something up their sleeve :)

see the latest numbers at:
http://www.rogers.com/cms/pdf/en/IR/QuarterlyReport/2011-Q3_Results-Release.pdf

Page 11 states:

The digital cable subscriber base grew by 3% and represented 77% of the television subscriber base as at September 30, 2011, compared to 74% as at September 30, 2010

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.