Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 5 outlets setup for cable, today all the analogue tv's started displaying snow and only the digital box (both) work, and the internet also works.. There's no connection problems or anything..

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Where do you live? Do your neighbours have the same problem?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brampton Ontario, and I'm not sure.. Now only the box in my room works..

EDIT: Only the 1 channel on each box that was on all day works, everything else is black..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I checked the signal and it was "N/A". I called rogers and they said my box and TV's aren't getting signal so they booked a technician for Friday :/ what I fail to understand is that my Internet and Home phone work.. in fact, my internet line uses an amp from the source and up here it is split into the modem and digital box, so if internet is working, how come the box isn't? (I tried a straight connection to the box as well).

Thankfully it's only TV that's not working.. can't go without internet til Friday.

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Usually, there should be no amp used on broadband and broadband should be the first split. After that you can split for TV and amp if necessary. Amp shot? Splitter bad? Try connecting one of the TV or STB connections as close to the demarcation point as possible.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Brampton Ontario
I'm in Mississauga and still have analog to my VCR. Given that your situation is changing, I suspect you have a problem with your home or close to it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried that, nothing.

Idk what the problem is.. on a side note, i have 10mbps Extreme internet, and all speedtests, including Rogers own speedtest are now showing my speed is 17-22 mpbs (it varies per test). I'm confused

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Usually, there should be no amp used on broadband and broadband should be the first split. After that you can split for TV and amp if necessary. Amp shot? Splitter bad? Try connecting one of the TV or STB connections as close to the demarcation point as possible.
And even if the OP needed an amp, why would it be one from The Source? It's up to Rogers to ensure that there is sufficient signal for the drop, not for the sub to go out and buy an amp.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tvlurker - i didnt mean from TSCC, I meant like from the basement lol. I have lots of services with rogers (Cable, internet, home phone, 2 other separate phone lines) so I believe there is an amp somewhere in there so it could support all 5 services (+ the outlets since I have VIP cable), so I think there's an amp from the cable that goes to my internet, but I'm not 100% sure, I'll check it out tomorrow

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ohh okay, I was referring to that because I was thinking maybe it had something to do with the signal in my house

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
I'm confused
The various services use different frequencies on the cable, so a fault may affect some services, but not others. A while ago, I had a problem that affected internet & phone, but not digital TV. It turned out to be a bad cable coming in from the street.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I had a problem once where my Cable TV would not work, but my internet and phone were working just fine..

I live in the former MacLean Hunter territory, and this was a very brief interruption, I spoke to one of the Rogers crews working outside and he explained to me they needed to do some kind of replacement of TV equiptment due to lots of problems over the years and this would fix it up once and for all. Ever since then I have had no more issues and its been flawless.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I'll just have to wait til tomorrow I guess. I even tried connecting straight to the cable that comes into the house.. no signal on either the digital box or analogue.. i thought analogue would at least pick up SOMETHING? but nothing at all.. I'm thinking it can't be a signal issue if my internets working fine and homephone as well, even tho they do run on different frequencies, I'd expect the analogue to at least pick up something. The lady on the other end at rogers was also confused since the analogue didn't work

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Yeah I'll just have to wait til tomorrow I guess. I even tried connecting straight to the cable that comes into the house.. no signal on either the digital box or analogue.. i thought analogue would at least pick up SOMETHING? but nothing at all.. I'm thinking it can't be a signal issue if my internets working fine and homephone as well, even tho they do run on different frequencies, I'd expect the analogue to at least pick up something. The lady on the other end at rogers was also confused since the analogue didn't work
I'm assuming that you tried EVERY analog channel?

Also, on your digital boxes, does the program guide work properly? Can you view switched digial video channels, or Rogers on Demand?
The reason I ask is that (at least here in Ottawa) the forward data channel is sent between channels 4 and 5.. If you get guide data, but not channel 4 or 5 analog, that would be very strange.

By the way, the signal strength is only displayed for digital channels, not for analog channels. What is the signal strnegth for the FDC (forward data channel)?

The other possibility is that Rogers has (accidentally) installed a filter on your line if for some reason they forgot that you pay for TV services, too. But in that case, you would usually get a few analog channels, typically channels 2-7 and 14-22.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, I've tried every channel.
and no, I don't get guide data. The box stays at channel 998 and I can't switch channels. If I try viewing the guide, it gives me some error about advanced functions not being available.
The FDC says "94.xxx MHz"
And I believe if there was a filter, it would only affect the analogue channels and not the digital? rogers wouldn't, out of the blue, come to my house and install a filter for no reason tho :p

·
Super Moderator
56,506 Posts
Filters do not affect the digital STBs. Even with filters, people are still able to view a couple of analogue channels - I believe the lower ones. Sounds like something's wrong with the signal to your home. If the tech confirms that everything's OK at your home, you may need to wait for the "outside crew" to come to the street to find the problem, as the inside tech will not do that. Be prepared.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A rogers guy came and fixed it.. he said that someone from Rogers accidentally put a 'block' on the cable from outside my house. I got 3 days compensation on my bill for it so i'm not that upset. at least it works now :)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Block or filter... same thing. Why would Rogers out of the blue install a filter? Sounds like they installed it on the wrong house.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts