Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard the ad twice today.. ICS advertising a 500 GB HD PVR for Rogers cable.

Don't know a thing else about it.. unless this plays back to the rumor I posted earlier this year about a 500 GB to 1 TB PVR coming from Rogers. That rumor was centered around different hardware tho..

Anyone else heard anything about this?

Knox

---

EDIT: Just called a dealer and they confirmed the 1 TB PVR coming before September. Of course dealers can and have been wrong many times.. but they seemed very confident. And they confirmed 500 GB units on hand.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
My little bird told me there is no proof of this in NB. Not to say it might be or not, tested by a select few engineers, he said to err on caution.

Like you say, we've heard it all before so until my eyes actually see it or I can touch it, I shall consider this a UFO... :eek:

·
Banned
279 Posts
My little bird told me there is no proof of this in NB. Not to say it might be or not, tested by a select few engineers, he said to err on caution.

Like you say, we've heard it all before so until my eyes actually see it or I can touch it, I shall consider this a UFO... :eek:
I find with the ondemand services on rogers these days and with the timeshifting there is little need for an expensive pvr!!! I can't justify paying that much money for something that will be obsolete in a few years. I also wish they would make the Hd boxes a lot smaller and I would buy another HD box then for sure.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with making the HD boxes smaller. The processing power to size ratio of the newest home theater PC's makes the current set top boxes look like dinosaurs, especially when you factor in the cost of the behemoths.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It doesn't happen to be this model, which was launched last month for Ontario?

http://redboard dot rogers dot com/2010/more-room-less-stress-rogers%E2%80%99-500gb-pvr-has-largest-hard-drive-in-canada/

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Has Rogers Atlantic rolled out the new firmware allowing for more than 160 GB access? Having a 500 GB HDD is not going to do anything, if that firmware is not rolled out. Shaw rolled this out a while back, but I don't believe it's available yet in Atlantic?

Once the firmware is available, then SATA eHDDs will also be possible on appropriate PVRs.

Here's the previous rumour thread...

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=120917

Previous eHDD thread...

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=121556

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
I haven't seen any major update in a while so like 57 says, it's pretty much useless if they don't have the basic hardware/firmware in place.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well.. I'm going to the Rogers store tomorrow afternoon.. the guy on the phone said they had the 500 GB units on hand.. so if they do, I'll bring one home.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Possible that they're Pace units? The Motorola firmware was the limiting factor for the Motorola PVRs, so perhaps these are Pace?

Be aware that Pace units have had quite mixed reviews in the Shaw forums. You may wish to read a few of the Pace threads.

·
Super Moderator
17,234 Posts
If Rogers Atlantic is selling the Motorola DCX3400 500 GB model, they could use the current Motorola firmware for this unit without changing the existing firmware for the older models. Customers would therefore have access to the full 500GB.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Confirmed today that this is in fact an ad that SHOULD have play3ed in Ontario.. and NOT in NB.

Def no 500 GB units available today... in Freddy or elsewhere in the Atlanic region.

The ads are playingon a few radio stations... it's a mistake. Dargnabit.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
My little bird was right.... ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts