Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have noticed that Rogers is airing their commercials on FOX29 in the 11 PM timeslot during The Simpsons reruns FOX airs. This can not be a simsub issue as all the CDN locals air late-night news then. Secondly I am watching FOX29 OTA as I cut cable years ago. The ads are for Fido cellular and Rogers internet promos (SpeedBooast, and Data Sharing). I am not sure if anyone in WNY who receives FOX29 (OTA or via subscription) can use Rogers stateside. Just curious.

·
Registered
805 Posts
simsub over-the-air? You might be confused... :)

You should see the ads from Montréal on Plattsburgh NY and Burlington VT stations!

-gmd

·
Registered
689 Posts
Those ads are intended for their Canadian audience. People in the US see them too.

It's been going on for years....the Bangor, Maine stations aired as many Canadian ads as US ones back in the 80s.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
There are a lot of Canadian ads on WUTV Fox 29, WNLO TheCW, and WNYO MyTV Buffalo. Those channels in Buffalo are willing to sell ad time to Canadian ad purchasers. Not simsubs.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I realize there are alot of Canadian ads on the Buffalo locals. I can understand Tim Horton's (in Buffalo I guess) or Marineland or even Leons as Americans can come over the border to use these services. However what use is Rogers to someone in Buffalo. You do not see ATT, Sprint, T-Mobile, or Verizon selling ad spots to CBC, CTV etc eventhough those networks are available to those in Buffalo via OTA or via TWC. I am not confused about sim-sub which is restricted to BDU's NOT OTA.

·
Super Moderator
56,566 Posts
There are a lot more Canadians who watch certain Buffalo channels than Americans. A properly picked programme (muched watched), that is not simsubbed, will have a possible Canadian audience of over 6 million people. That's significantly higher than a poorly watched Canadian channel.

PBS Buffalo gets a significant amount of its funding from Ontarians.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Yeah I guess that's the same with KVOS. It's a Bellingham station, but it has a lot of viewers from Vancouver and Area. Their ads say "You're watching KVOS-TV: Bellingham, Vancouver, Victoria." They air a lot of Canadian ads too.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Only estimating here.
But those Buffalo stations probably serve around one million Buffalonians and probably more than six million Ontarions in the GTA and Ottawa. There are many Canadian advertizers that know most of they eyes watching Judge Judy or Seinfeld will be Canadian eyes.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Also keep in mind, in Buffalo there are only two Canadian stations on the local cable networks (CBC & CTV). Guessing because the rest would just be redundant programming and confusing for the user, since they are mostly just showing various American shows already on our own major networks? Whereas in Toronto, I'm pretty sure Rogers puts all of the major Buffalo stations on Cable (am I right??).
The local PBS station here actually goes by "WNED - Buffalo - Toronto"

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
WNED was just stating they are the most watched PBS station in Primetime in the whole country.Mostly Ontarians.Thus WUTV has a large ontario market when not simsubbed.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The U.S. stations must be airing CDN ad's only in large centers like the GTA or Montreal.Here in the Detroit/Windsor market I have never seen anything like that OTA, even though a large portion of the pop. are still watching Detroit tv OTA I guess Windsor's market is to small for Rogers and the like to care.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Spokane stations

TV stations in Spokane, Washington also have ads directed to people living in Edmonton and Calgary. Though I suspected that KAYU-TV was sending a split feed to the Canadian cables companies, because there was a time that some of their commercial breaks were filled with video montages of Canada if the commercial spot wasn't sold.

KSPS-TV/PBS also IDs itself from "Spokane/Calgary/Edmonton", and the local news has Calgary and Edmonton on it's weather maps.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I don't se a problem with this.

If I own a biz in a city I know a channel outside that city, that they get the signal, why shouldn't I be able to advertise on that channel? Its my money not the viewers? If I want to spread my advertisement to the largest pop I can why not put ads on those stations.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I agree MCIBUS.Ad revenue is ad rev. anyway you slice it.I dont know why Detroit tv hasnt really embraced selling ad's in Windsor.I believe they have a untapped market, since our once great CKLW TV 9 was such a power house in the 50's and 60's has turned into a crappy cbc translator.And our A channel is so low pwr that OTA its hard to get.They have switched from ch16 to ch60 to ch26.Hopefully theyre better with the digital transition.Most people in Windsor/Essex get theyre weather from Detroit tv since they are now giving weather targeted to us up to London.Detroit tv has the viewership from this side of the border to get significant revenue IMO.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
There were once tons of ads from Canadian businesses on US border stations. Simsubs and changes in tax laws made it less desirable to do so. Never mind that many of the small businesses that purchased TV advertising have disappeared.

Most people in Windsor/Essex get theyre weather from Detroit tv since they are now giving weather targeted to us up to London.
We don't get London weather on Canadian stations that have local repeaters, not even CHCH which is all news and is much closer than Detroit. Then Canadian stations cry the blues that they don't get enough viewers. No wonder Canadian broadcasters are such a bunch of losers. :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts