Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Globe and Mail and CBC articles.

In a nutshell, Rogers is saying that they do throttle applications and make no bones about it.

No discussion on why they have a bandwidth cap then!

Interestingly, nobody that would be critical of Rogers appears to have been invited to the 'press event'. This appears to be a move by the company to snow some reporters and it appears to have worked since both reports are pretty pro-Rogers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Their solution is very short term. They claim P2P will triple by 2012, but video on demand, which is typically download only, will probably increase 10 fold or more in the same timeframe. What is their plan to address that?

·
Registered
105 Posts
That's a mighty biased headline. One usually "admits" to something that one thinks is wrong, or that is recognized by everyone else to be wrong. Has the debate over whether service providers should be allowed to set policies for their own network been settled? Also, the term "net neutrality" appears nowhere in either article. Not too surprising, since it's loaded term invented by one side of the debate to make restricting the property rights of service providers sound balanced and reasonable.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By definition, the moment you engage in a practice that throttles one particular type of application, you have violated net neutrality.

As far as the use of the word admit, it simply means that the company acknowledges the practice. What they are now doing is trying to rationalize why they feel violating net neutrality is acceptable business practice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My favourite quote is at the end of the second article, made by Mr. Lee, Roger's Chief Strategist:

“At the end of the day,” Mr. Lee said, “customer satisfaction is what matters the most.” :rolleyes:

Is it just me or does throttling upload speeds do nothing but simply reduce incentives for Rogers to upgrade its network?

Even Rogers admits itself they could upgrade the network but then people would just catch up to our upgrades and we'd need to upgrade again.

Rogers - welcome to the world of technology.

Currently, Rogers just signs leases to 'leach off' portions of fibre-optic networks developed by other companies. After all, why would they invest in technology to upgrade their network, if they can just slow everyone down on the current network?

·
Registered
235 Posts
As long as Rogers keeps it's payments up to the (insert name of Government agency here) they will continue to be a monopoly, that will continue to do things to make Billions more in revenue, at other peoples misfortune/expense.

They broke up the phone company many years ago(and rates went up instead of down) and no one is willing to break up the cable companies.

And there is no mainstream media organization in Canada that will ask the Canadian Heritage Minister/CRTC why Rogers is allowed to violate the people in Television and the Internet(Censored U.S. programming and hacking peoples web pages and blocking U.S. sites), that goes 100% against our rights of 'Freedom of Communication'.

And to be like the mainstream media, I will now add the word 'Alleged' many times. 'Alleged' 'Alleged' 'Alleged' 'Alleged' 'Alleged' . Even thought the proof is out there in plain site..

'The Great Firewall of Canada'

·
Registered
863 Posts
I think Rogers has forgotten that you don't need high speed access for e-mail and web browsing. If they throttle high data applications then users might throttle their wallets and use a slower cheaper service.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Rogers Extreme - Mega ultimate greased lightning blazingly fast internet! For transferring large files and more!! **

**"Transferring" actually means just for downloads. We will restrict your upload transfer speed to 1/10 of your download speed. Then, we will take what remains and throttle the crap out of it until you cry for mercy. Thanks for paying $800/year for blazingly fast internet access, and consider upgrading to Extreme Plus! -Ted

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
And to this...

I have decided to leave Rogers in every way possible. This decison was made about two weeks ago and is under way but this new piece of news is just one more straw on the camels back.

This news is just hilarious given e-mails that I recieved when I voiced my grievances a few months ago. The CSR who replied was ADAMENT that they were not violating Net Neutrality. RIGHT!!!!!! I still have copies of the e-mails too...

Rogers... Go to "Halifax"!!!!

FOR THE RECORD -- I am discontinuing phone, internet and TV. I will only be keeping wireless due to contracts and the huge penalties that come with early termination.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
“It's actually designed to overwhelm other traffic,” Mr. Lee said.
What a line of BUNK!!!!!

I have yet to see a P2P app that does not jump right up and ask how much to use. Usually in bytes but also in percentages. I NEVER let uTorrent use any more than 50% of my available upload as overuse will degrade even a web page from loading.

...Nor does it use “deep packet inspection” to determine what is being transferred or treat encrypted files differently.
Bold faced LIE!!! One cannot achieve "Network Management" without the use of DPI. Relying exclusively on the port used is not enough. P2P apps can easily be set to use random ports.

As it is, that stupid invasive "message" when you hit 75% works EXCLUSIVELY because of DPI. LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR.... Ad Nausium.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The articles talked about P2P but didn't mention encrypted traffic.

When I work from home, I use VPN. My browsing is noticeable slower. When I disable VPN, the speed comes back. When I enable, the speed drops off. Perhaps it is something to do with VPN server at work (is that a possibility?), but clearly my browsing was slower when using VPN. I'm blaming Rogers until proved otherwise.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think Rogers has forgotten that you don't need high speed access for e-mail and web browsing. If they throttle high data applications then users might throttle their wallets and use a slower cheaper service.
I've always found that to be strange, how the service is throttled but not the rates they charge. It seems these two go in completely opposite direction.

·
Registered
383 Posts
What a line of BUNK!!!!!

As it is, that stupid invasive "message" when you hit 75% works EXCLUSIVELY because of DPI. LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR.... Ad Nausium.
Wasn't there some allegations that Rogers were testing a technology similar to NebuAd? I think there's a thread somewhere in this place. Using such technology means that they are indeed using DPI. In fact, I'm wondering why didn't the reporters quiz them on allegations that they are "testing" technologies like NebuAd or Phorm on their network without informing the users.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
In fact, I'm wondering why didn't the reporters quiz them on allegations that they are "testing" technologies like NebuAd or Phorm on their network without informing the users.
Because Rogers made sure that every press member in the closed announcement was a total LUDDITE. Not one person from a tech savvy press outlet was invited.:mad:

Wasn't there some allegations that Rogers were testing a technology similar to NebuAd?
Not an allegation. It is FACT. If you push your dl/ul level past 75% of cap, you start getting invasive messages injected onto your browser the next time you are browsing.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yeah not that part. I mean the part where they monitor their web users' surfing habits and then deliver advertising banners to that user based on sites he or she visited. NebuAd, for example, will pay an ISP to install one of their machines to track every site the user goes to and the ISP gets some cash by selling their customers' privacy.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
That is EXACTLY what they are using to do it. The only difference at this point is they are sending messages telling you that you are almost out of capacity and then selling a more expensive package. However, there is no provision to upgrade your cap as the most on ANY package is 95 GB.

I can only imagine that soon they will send ads for their other services. Fortunately for me, I will be on Aliant as of June 17th so Rogers can do whatever they want as they are no longer getting my money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts