Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone else has this issue, which I have been able to replicate consistantly with my new Rogers 8642. (500GB internal - 1TB external extender.

Seems like ROD (or TMN on demand etc etc) does not like to play nice if the PVR is in a recording mode (one show only,obviously). It can sometimes take an eternity to actually get the ROD screens up. Once that happens you can normally watch any offering without issue. (Occasionally trying to watch an HD movie will crash the system)

However, the glitch I can replicate consistantly is the following:

When watching any ROD offering (or TMN on demand etc etc), SD or HD versions if you switch directly to the list function of the PVR, the entire system will crash. After this direct switch, trying to play a recorded show will show only a black screen and no time bar along the bottom. Switching channels, at that point is a no go either, they will just show a black screen as well.

However, if you remember to simply change the channel from the ROD channel to any other broadcast channel, you can hit list and move to the PVR functions without any issue.

Not a hard workaround, but damn I curse myself when I forget, and hit list before changing the channel and have to reboot the whole system, creating a split recording of any show that was currently recording.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Just tested this on a 8300. Works fine. When I press LIST the ROD channel continues to play in the small window above the recorded list and the program currently recording shows in red and can be accessed or stopped as needed. Must be a 8642 issue or a problem with your particular box. Hopefully others will respond as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a similar issue. The way I get it simply is to start a program from On Demand (309 TMN for me). Stop it and then say exit and save (or similar), then as soon as you see the OD channel scroll up or down. It will cause the screen to go gray and then it will go black. The only way to recover is to hard reboot the box. I have done this by accident on both my 8series CISCO device and my 4series CISCO device.

I can do it by changing channels as well and sadly for me it also happens from the Treehouse On Demand channel, and my kids and baby sitter have quicker channel thumbs than me.

I do not have to be recording anything at the same time to get it to happen.

I called Rogers, they escilated (read ignored) because they said they would call me in 48hrs with a resolution. 3 weeks so far no call back and I can recreate the problem at any time.

I have a feeling its a SD/HD bug in the software and hopefully some day we will get some patches for these CISCO devices. Seems Rogers just can't get their modified software to work correctly on the devices.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was watching a ROD show, it finished, but I went to do something around the house.

The automatic previews started playing which got my attention and I had to change it to anything but the annoying previews. So I pressed the A button on the remote and a message appeared "ROD service unavailable", and went to a black screen.

Then I changed the channel to some other station and a message appeared, can't recall what exactly it said, but it said something like "unavailable" and went to a black screen. Every channel I tried said the same message with a black screen.

I went to the list and tired to play a saved show and it went to a black screen.

Cold-boot fixed it, everything is working again, really strange ROD behaviour.

On another note about ROD

I've also found that when I Rewind/Pause/Fast Forward a ROD show it causes the audio on my TV to make a crazy looping sound BZZTBZZTBZZTBZZTBZZTBZZTBZZT, yet if I watch a ROD-PPV movie it doesn't happen at all.
Even if I power off the 8642 my TV continues to make the annoying looping noise. This noise only occurs from ROD shows.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have also noticed this problem intermittently since I set up the 8642 box in December. None of the cable channels are accessible after I view ROD content and requires a reset by powering down the box.

I have contacted Rogers 4 to 5 times regarding this problem. A technician was dispatched and changed the cable wire in my basement thinking that the signal may be degraded due to old cables.

Today I replicated the problem during a telephone call with the Rogers rep. His suggestion was to have the box exchanged at the place of purchase ie. Best Buy.

Anyone had any luck after they exchanged for a new box? Or will this be an ongoing issue?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts