Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
161 - 180 of 884 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
8642 HD PVR Live Picture Quality

I have recently purchased a 8642 HD PVR to replace a Rogers 4250 HD digital cable box. However, I find that the live picture quality of the 8642 HD PVR is worse than the picture quality of my old 4250 HD digital cable box. I am using a HDMI cable attached to a HD TV. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 8642 is full despite having 500GB

My Box is indicating it is full! When check it says I have 22 recording. Each recording is roughly 2 hours. Is there any reason for it to claim it is full. I have lots of recording programmed in. Is there any way to check if the hard disc is a 500. Thanks Moti

·
Super Moderator
11,288 Posts
Based on the information you provided I would say you have a full disk. You can verify the disk size by accessing the HDD Information page via the diagnostic mode.

On box, Press SELECT for 5 seconds, then INFO. PAGE+ to change information.

The often published approximate values were, 20 hours HD on the 160GB disk. So extrapolating 40 hours on 320GB and 62.5 hours for 500GB. Image that is generous and your mileage would be less than that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks. I tried your suggertion and it told me Device1 159GB Device2 UNAVAILABLE.That explains my problem. What should it be?

·
Registered
528 Posts
I received a 8462 on Friday and can say that I am not experiencing any of the issues some are reporting here.

The picture is excellent (no worse than the 8300).

I have no audio sync issues (I am using HDMI into a Denon receiver). Nor is there an audio lag when you stop fast forwarding through commercials.

I am not experiencing any pixelation issues when fast forwarding or reversing. In fact, it may be my imagination but I might argue the picture is clearer than before when doing this.

Also when padding a weekly recording of Medium on Friday the next scheduled recording next Friday has retained the padding. Now it has been a while since I have attempted this so I am not sure if this is the same behaviour as before and the padding doesn't get dropped until the actual recording occurs. I am very interested to see if the padding sticks, or if someone can confirm the padding will get dropped upon recording.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had my 8462 for a few weeks now. Don't like the fact that I cannot record the same show twice in one day without setting to record any time this channel. Missing Hell's Kitchen!! :( I am using HDMI to the TV (Sony NX700) and coax digital to the receiver (Yamaha HTRN5060). I have none of the black screen or audio issues, and 1 gt esata drive I built (WD drive and Aluminum eSATA case) works flawlessly. Picture is quite clear (typical issues with artifacts/pixelation from Rogers compression but otherwise not too bad). I do find the IR sucks as it is in the same place my old SD PVR was and my Harmony One remote sometimes doesn't get the signal to the box. (slightly blocked by my ottoman). Otherwise quite happy and waiting for IPTV to be functional so I can watch the PVR from the bedroom.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I am pretty sure the guide and menu buttons have always done the same thing . . . and don't you mean hopefully they never add the quickstart guide to the 8642? ;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
I recently had issues with my 8300HD rental so I went to exchange it and they gave me the 8642 model. So far it is working well.

One thing I noticed last night was the Copy To VCR option is no longer available in the playback menu. I see that someone posted this at the very beginning of the thread.

I used to output some shows for my daughter to DVD so she could watch stuff on long car rides. It now seems there is no way of doing this. Am I wrong? Is my DVD recorder now going to be just a DVD player? :)

I guess I will have to finally invest in an external drive since there would be no way to archive anything either.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Cornflake - I can verify that the IR sensor on the 8642 is terrible. It sees signals from only a narrow angle range, therefore you need to be right in front of the unit (trying to hit from a 90 degree angle as I did with the 8300HD does not work well).

Terry - With the Copy to VCR option gone you could hook up a device to capture the analog output in realtime and copy to DVD if you wanted. Obviously, this still does not capture in HD format but you can do what you're asking for.

·
Super Moderator
56,970 Posts
Terry, you can still copy to the VCR simply by hitting "play" on the PVR and "record" on the DVD recorder at a time that you're not watching anything else. You must also do this at a time that does not include the "auto-standby" time of 1:10AM.

Here's the thread comparing the features of the two PVRs as linked in post 1 of this thread.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1121780#post1121780

·
Premium Member
4,163 Posts
Hard Drive issue?

Is the 8642 Hard drive suppose to be or almost constantly reving up?(doesn't really stop keeps on riving up) Because since last night the hard drive(you can hear it) starts up, you hear it running, then stops. Then the procces starts all over again about 3 seconds later.

Its a new unit only had it maybe less then a month(rental)?

You also hear a thump sound coming from the TV when you fast forward / reverse the PVR after >>> or <<< bars?

Is this common? I never had this with my 8300?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Also when padding a weekly recording of Medium on Friday the next scheduled recording next Friday has retained the padding. Now it has been a while since I have attempted this so I am not sure if this is the same behaviour as before and the padding doesn't get dropped until the actual recording occurs. I am very interested to see if the padding sticks, or if someone can confirm the padding will get dropped upon recording.
So the padding on my recording of Medium stuck today!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here is the problem I am having with my 8642. Recordings are often missing the begining and the end of the show. The PVR records 60 mins (or 30 mins) as per the timer, but the show is slightly offset from the hour. On my old Bell 9241 it automatically added a few minutes to the beginning and end of the timer to compensate for this.

I tried to manually change the timers, however, only 2 of the entries reflect adding 2 mins to the end, the others still show the timer ending on the hour. Curious that it takes effect for some but not for others. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
56,970 Posts
This has been discussed often and is a problem with the IPG - it's not accurate. Also, there is an issue with programming padding (firmware) as outlined below.

The "padding" (adding extra minutes) will only work if the programme is on more than once a week. If it's only on weekly or less often, then the padding goes away and the scheduled recording goes back to what the IPG shows, which is inaccurate in some cases. You'll need to set a new recording (or padding) each week, or record the next programme in line, or perhaps attempt a manual recording, which often doesn't work properly either. Each provider has his share of issues and this is one with our PVRs (8642 and 8300).

Here's the thread on the topic - as you can see from the date of the first post, it's been going on for some time:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18207

Suggest you read the stickies, FAQs and the following useful post:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

Edit by 57. Others in this thread have indicated that padding does work on the 8642 for programmes that air say once a week. The 8300 doesn't appear to work that way on the current firmware.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay... I'm getting upset now. The other night, I was supposed to be taping 2 things at once.... when I go to check, I was looking at recording #1... but there were no signs of it taping show#2....

When I tried to change channel, it gave the usual "You are currently recording.... press Select to switch to other recording"... I hit Select, and it brought me to Channel 08, which it said I was recording (I have nothing on channel 8 scheduled to record.) But the screen on this second recording (Channel 8) was black. There was no sign in the recorded list that a second program was recording, and when viewing blank channel 8, I could not hit stop to cancel this phantom recording.
Holmes108....I am having the same problem with a brand new 8642HD unit. I cannot rely on the unit 'holding' its record settings and it frequently records some random channel wherein I cannot stop the recording and the screen shows blank when I switch to the channel being recording. #!$&ing annoying.

161 - 180 of 884 Posts