Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 884 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,400 Posts
Dave, please see the following FAQ on HD programming, Black Bars:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76068 What's on in True HD

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76089 Black Bars

And the following post, useful for those new to the forum and HD - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

The IPG is 4:3. If it fills your screen on SD signals, it's because you've set the TV to stretch SD. What's the make/model of your HDTV? If it's an LCD, there's no reason to stretch 4:3 - watch it as 4:3 for better picture quality and no distortion.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
sometimes the show being broadcast is not an HD show, its taped (or i should refraise that, hard drived) in SD, just because its an HD channel, does not make it automatically show hd aspect ratios, lots of city tv shows are in SD, like rachael ray, tyra, judge judy, and some of those vh1 shows. you will see black bars on the side.. if you go to an sd channel, you will see GREY bars, thats how you tell the difference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. Much more helpful than the Rogers staffer I spoke to earlier.

That'll teach me to make better use of the search. I thought the issue was unique to this PVR but it looks like it is HD in general.

I guess I've just hit on upconverted 4:3 channels which also explains why I was seeing black bars even though I had set the PVR to grey.

I had set the tv (LG 32LH30) to 16:9 (stretch) mode previously to avoid burn in from the bars on 4:3 shows which is why I never noticed a discrepancy with the IPG.

I'll make sure I do better research before the next post

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have noticed that if I play a program in FF (1 press of the >> button) the status bar comes on screen and can not always be cleared by pressing the Exit key. Actually, it goes away for an instant then reappears.

On the 8300 the status bar appears when you start FF, will stay on screen until you press Exit then will always clear it for the duration of the FF.

I have been able to clear the 8642 status bar sometimes but haven't quite figured out if there is a pattern as to when you can and when you can't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jim,
The irony for my setup is that the same thing that is causing me issue in my last post is what is assisting me with the display brightness. As it turns out, the tinted glass door on my electronics tower is both dimming the brightness that you're not pleased with, and also causing issue with the IR signal from the remote being aimed in any direction other than directly at the unit.

With more testing after my last post I found out I could still get the 8642 to pickup the IR signal bounced off walls if my cabinet's glass door was open, but not with it closed in front of the IR sensor. This was not the case with the 8300HD, as the 8300HD was able to receive bounced IR signals through the same glass. Strange.

Also, I don't notice the brightness thing as much as you because my equipment is sideways to where I usually sit. I think your solution is an excellent one... I don't like bright displays in my viewing room either - I usually set all my gear up to have their displays off if the equipment supports that. So we've both dimmed our 8642 displays - you with a filter and me with tinted glass. LOL
you can get a IR prism from most any AV dealer, they are made by audioplex and distributed by a number of companies such as provo ..

they allow IR to be received from the sides (more off axis - even 90deg.) , about 1/4" in diam. and stick on over the "eye" (position is important) ..

if you cant find them - msg me and i'll mail you one at no cost.

I find the brightness of the display to be a major distraction - I think I am going to open one up and 'dull' down the window from inside to maintain a clean look ....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought the 8300 320 GB last autumn, and was generously "grandfathered" to the 500 GB 8642, due to some issues. I run a simple set-up, HDMI to my Samsung 1080P, Insignia BDP on the side. TV for the most part, and multiple interests/recordings are always in play.

I agree that the interface/management system is much improved. No way of knowing that of the box, the remote is a fraternal twin to the old one, and comes with some fairly generic instructions.

So what can it do right now besides being quicker, and handier?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had my brother beat, On Demand, like the proverbial mule. Everything worked fast as you like, menus, play controls, the lot so far.

On my basic level, as one who has hated OD for the response times, it may now be a legitimate option....as always library withstanding.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Very new to this and looking to finally get connection to my TV. Have no Rogers nor Bell thus far.

So to get this right - the box you guys are discussing here, if I buy that I don't have to pay rental for Rogers?

·
Registered
1 Posts
8642 Audio Behaving Badly

I recently upgraded from 8300 to 8642. Can't say that I am seeing anything, other than larger hard drive, that I currently find worth the cost.

Since upgrading I am experiencing one problem, however. For my HD CBC channels (514, 515, 544) most audio streams seem to play only through the L, R surround speakers, and not through the centre channel speaker. This happens for most audio streams, such as the National news. Luckily, hockey commentary plays through the centre channel speaker, although when it switches to a commercial, or even ice-level commentary, the audio switches to L, R speakers.

This only happens with CBC channels.

Can anyone shed any light on what is going on or what can be done to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
56,400 Posts
neils, please read the following FAQ on DD5.1 and improperly encoded DD5.1. This should also have been evident on your 8300, since it's been that way with CBC for years. (Possibly you didn't have your PVR or AVR properly configured for DD5.1 before and were getting "surround sound" instead of DD5.1)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17870

Then check out the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

·
Registered
4 Posts
Didn't see this mentioned yet, but the IPG shows unsubscribed channels in grey. I'd rather have the option to filter them out completely, but this is at least an improvement over the 8300.

·
Registered
212 Posts
8642 HDMI handshake is slower than the 8300

I just installed my two 8642s today.

There was one glitch that I noticed - in comparison to my 8300.
I previously had my 8300HD working with my Pioneer Kuro Elite 151 such that (on the remote), when I pressed CAB, then PWR - it would turn on the TV, then the Rogers box.
This worked fine.

Now, with the new 8642, this same sequence does not work properly.
There seems to be an HDMI (timing) issue that is different than the 8300HD.
When the TV comes on, and then the Rogers box, there is seemingly not enough "time" for the TV to (see) the 8642 - leaving me with a black screen - as if the 8642 was not on.
Turning the 8642 off, then on again fixes it.

My only solution is to set up the remote to only control the power of the devices individually - rather than the multi device macro way - as I need to allow about 1 second more before I turn on the 8642 after my TV comes on.

What this boils down to is that the 8642 must start up a bit slower than the 8300 - and it sends its signals via the HDMI cable a bit delayed compared to the 8300.

Not a big deal, of course - but a noticeable difference between the two.
Maybe an upcoming firmware update would fix it....

In any event, the new features I like are:
- Color schemes (the guide themes) use richer colors - look better on screen
- FFW, REW, etc display the actual time on the pointer where you are
- Channels you don't subscribe to are in grey (finally)
- So far, the "quickstart" nonsense has not made its way onto the two units
- The hard drive seems to run MUCH quieter than the 8300

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Posts deleted. From Post #1

This thread is NOT for non-owners to ask questions about the 8642. If you would like ask questions then please post in the New 8642 PVR from Rogers discussion thread.

Non-owners posting in this thread will have their posts removed and will be issued infractions.

·
Registered
612 Posts
If you want it to work with the digital channels, you need to have a Rogers PVR. If all you plan to use are the analog channels, you could use a Tivo with it. Bell PVRs and PVRs from other cable companies will not work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just to be 100% clear: if I buy an 8642 (not a TiVo, etc.) from a source other than Rogers, will it work with digital channels?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Yes, as long as it is an 8642 that is manufactured for Rogers. For example, if you bought one in the US that was set up for another cable company, it won't work here at all. Rogers will not activate it for you.

So you'd want to buy from an authorized Rogers reseller, of which there are many around the GTA.

21 - 40 of 884 Posts