Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think the news is bad.
I assume you've tried powering off pvr (unplug), disconecting drive (power off), powering up pvr without external drive, powering off pvr (unplug), power up drive and connect to pvr (wait a bit to be sure drive and enclosure are fully up and happy), plug in pvr.

If the failure is consistent, then you are truly screwed. If everything comes back, then you are truly lucky (go buy a lottery ticket right away).

Most losses I've experienced can be traced to firmware upgrades being pushed out - sometimes waiting for the next reboot to 'cleanse' the index table and make to shows listed inaccessable. I wish there was a better alternative. Rogers doesn't care.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have found what is described as a "new" product on the Internet for expander use with the Scientific Atlanta

It is a prepackaged Iomega External Hard Drive - described below:

Comes with 1 TB hard drive, eSATA cable, adapter and stand.
$180.00 + taxes

Does anyone have any experience with the Iomega product? The price is certainly good! ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, new to this forum...

I have a couple questions in regards to hooking up a hard drive to my Rogers 8642 HD PVR (rental).

I currently have a Lacie d2 quadra 1TB (7200 RPM)

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10330

Will this drive suffice?

Second question, does the drive always have to be on or can I shut it off occasionally? If I do shut if off, does the PVR have to be unplugged and plugged back in in order for the external to be recognized?

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Should it work? Likely. But you will have to see to find out. Some people have reported problems in the past using eSATA drives that also have Firewire ports. It depends on the controller on the inside. I tried a spare Vantech USB/Firewire/eSata I had lying around many many years ago to no avail, but the non-Firewire model worked fine with the drive (that enclosure/HD combo has been working now for 5 years or so on an 8300HD).

As for the second question, if you want to turn your external off, you need to first do a hard power off of the unit (so pull power from wall), turn off external, plug the unit back in. Then when you want the external back on, you need to hard power off the unit, turn the external on, then power back up the unit (yes you can also do it off a reboot but this is the safe way of doing it). Obviously when the external is unplugged your PVR will only record to the internal drive. This isn't a recommended way of doing things. Once you attach an external, you should just keep it attached and on at all times. Then you don't have to worry about missed recordings or corrupting your index file.

Also, get yourself a UPS for both the PVR and the external, so you won't have problems with power outages. It doesn't have to be a APC 2200 VA or anything (its for sure overkill on my 8642HD), a little 300 or 500 VA unit that you can get for like $50+ at BB, FS, Source or wherever will suffice (as I use on my 8300HD).

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply, alebowgm. I do have a UPS attached already so that won't be an issue. I guess I will just have to keep the drive on 24/7/365...

If the drive doesn't work or gives me problems, I guess I should invest in the WD Black caviar like most in this thread?

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
That's the safe bet. Most of us have had success with that drive. When I got my 8642 about a year or so ago, that is the route I went and I have had pretty much no missed recordings.

As a side note, I inherited that same Lacie drive/enclosure (or perhaps an earlier model) about 18 months ago and after installing a new hard drive and using some online tweaks, it works without issue when attached to my Airport Extreme for Time Capsule.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks again, alebowgm. Well, to let everybody know... the drive (http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10330) works with the 8642HD PVR.

I got a message after the format saying the drive connected and works with the PVR

I didn't do another reboot of the box. When I checked space left, it said I had 4% used. Prior, I had 19% used. Do you suggest another reboot or should I be fine?

Again, thanks for your help. It is appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi alebowgm,

As for the second question, if you want to turn your external off, you need to first do a hard power off of the unit (so pull power from wall), turn off external, plug the unit back in. Then when you want the external back on, you need to hard power off the unit, turn the external on, then power back up the unit (yes you can also do it off a reboot but this is the safe way of doing it). Obviously when the external is unplugged your PVR will only record to the internal drive. This isn't a recommended way of doing things. Once you attach an external, you should just keep it attached and on at all times. Then you don't have to worry about missed recordings or corrupting your index file.

If I understand what you're saying, the esata drive needs to be on every time the pvr is on, or should it be powered at all times? I was thinking of hooking up an esata 3.5" drive and connecting the enclosure's power adapter to the switched outlet on the back of the pvr so that, when the pvr is turned on for recording or viewing, the drive will come on too.

If this will not work or there is a solution whereby I could power down the drive in between recordings, that would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Thanks again, alebowgm. Well, to let everybody know... the drive (http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10330) works with the 8642HD PVR.

I got a message after the format saying the drive connected and works with the PVR

I didn't do another reboot of the box. When I checked space left, it said I had 4% used. Prior, I had 19% used. Do you suggest another reboot or should I be fine?

Again, thanks for your help. It is appreciated.
From the first page of the thread

Does the PVR not report % space properly? Many people have reported the % space doesn't seem correct (internal and/or external), especially if there is not a lot of space used - 8642 User thread. See the following suggestion - it may help:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1336617#post1336617

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
If I understand what you're saying, the esata drive needs to be on every time the pvr is on, or should it be powered at all times? I was thinking of hooking up an esata 3.5" drive and connecting the enclosure's power adapter to the switched outlet on the back of the pvr so that, when the pvr is turned on for recording or viewing, the drive will come on too.

If this will not work or there is a solution whereby I could power down the drive in between recordings, that would be great.

Thanks
What you are thinking about is not a recommended method. The reason being that if you have recordings that occur while your PVR is in standby mode, it may try to record to the external instead of your internal and you will have a lost recording or you can corrupt your index on the internal. Don't forget, the only time the PVR is actually off is when it is unplugged from the wall.

Just keep the external on at all times and plugged in independently. Then you don't have anything to worry about. Otherwise you are playing with fire.

·
Super Moderator
56,400 Posts
I was thinking of hooking up an esata 3.5" drive and connecting the enclosure's power adapter to the switched outlet on the back of the pvr so that, when the pvr is turned on for recording
The PVR doesn't come "on" to record, so what you're attempting will not work. As mentioned many times in this forum, the eHDD needs to be on 24/7 in order to be used.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Okay, I found a Vantec enclosure that will work with my 8642. I had a 160 gb 7200 rpm Samsung drive inside the enclosure as a test drive. The pvr found the drive, formatted it, and said my free space was 52%. Before attaching the enclosure, the drive was almost full.

I'm not sure but does the 8642 support advanced format (4k) drives?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanx

That's good to know because they are on sale at Amazon.ca for $105 ca including free shipping.

Thanx for the prompt reply.

Great forum I have learned a lot.

Best Regards, Fred

·
Registered
13 Posts
Seagate 1TB as an extender?

I have an extra Seagate ST31000333AS (7200 rpm) and a Mcally external case (fanless)... and tried to connect it as an extender.

The FIRST try, it asked the usual "do you want to format..." and then the "this device will work... " message a little later. The "percentage used" appeared to be consistent with the added drive being "in service".

However, whenever I changed channels, the screen would "freeze" momentarily. When I tried to actually RECORD something, the screen would "freeze" momentarily and then free up... but there would be no red "record" light showing on the PVR and there would be no indication of a recording in the list. (In retrospect, I suspect the freeze on channel-change was a byproduct of the PVR trying to start its new "temporary" recording of the new channel.)

Unfortunately, I did not think to go through the info screens to see what they had to say at the time.

I shut everything down and pulled the power on it all, removed the drive and rebooted the PVR. It has worked fine without the external drive for a week.

Today, I pulled the power on everything and tried the drive again. I get the same "do you want to format " message, but nothing else. When I go through the info screens, pages 29 and 30 show that the PVR recognizes the correct models and serial number for both the internal and external drives, (showing both as "non removable"). Page 29 shows the partition info of the internal drive, but on page 30, the partitions of the EXTERNAL drive are shown as "not available".

ON PAGE 14, there is a SOFTWARE ANOMALIES warning. The text appears to run past the screen width, but the gist seems to be:
"[SATA Forma] (sic), could not partition drive, status = 0xFFFFB8F6..." and some more similar.
It has the date and time of this "software anomaly" which is consistent with today's PVR boot-up time.

QUESTION 1. It is obvious that the external disc is being treated differently on THIS boot up than it was a week ago. Any ideas why, and can anything be done to reset that?

QUESTION 2. Has anybody been successful with a Seagate drive?

·
Super Moderator
56,400 Posts
When I did a web search for this drive I noticed lots of references to how "green" it is. Any drive connected to the PVR needs to be up 24/7, per the link in post 1 of this thread to the 8300, so any "green" drives that spin down, etc are not compatible.

Sometimes people can change the HDD settings by connecting to a computer, but I'll leave further comments on that subject to others more competent than I. In the 8300 thread we have found that the black WD drives have been most compatible while the Seagates have been problematical, although some people did get some to work.

I searched this thread for "seagate*" and found one positive post... Good Luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought the on sale at Amazon.ca for $105 ca including free shipping.
Hooked it up today nice & easy, have a couple of things recording tonight just to check it out.
With luck will make the wife happy!!

81 - 100 of 225 Posts