Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

201 - 220 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, my 8642 took the upgrade to the new enhanced guide and the internal hard drive seems to be wiped and it won't recognize the external drive. Is there a way to recover what was on the internal hard and to get the external drive working or did the new enhanced guide update make the external drive useless? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
The drive is probably not useless, but the index (on the iHDD) is currently not accessible. Based on feedback in the new firmware thread, it's unlikely that the programming index is recoverable, but you may wish to wait a couple of days to see if Rogers confirms this, or if they will provide new firmware that "sees" your index and fixes the problem that many people have encountered.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-...igatr-please-read-post-1-a-4.html#post2565097

If the index is not recoverable (likely), then you'll probably need to have the PVR "format" the eHDD and it should then be useable.

·
Registered
260 Posts
EHDD Info

Is there anywhere in setting or elseware that I can actually see what is on my EHDD or how much of it is used. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
The PVR index performs as if it has a single drive. When you install an eHDD, most of the new recordings go to it until it is equally full, percentage-wise, as the iHDD. If you disconnect the eHDD and try to select a programme recorded on it, you will not be able to view it. If you select a recording that's on the iHDD, you will be able to view it with the eHDD disconnected.

In the diagnostics, there are usually pages relating to the iHDD and eHDD, but they don't give percentages. I believe they do have some indication of sectors, GB, or whatever used on that drive. I suggest you get the iHDD down to say 25-30%, or watch and then delete some of the recordings on the iHDD so that the eHDD isn't being used all the time, unless you want that. I believe that if you do two recordings at the same time, both HDDs are utilized, unless, of course, one is full. You can usually tell by listening which drive(s) is/are active. Some eHDD enclosures have a light indicating activity.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks 57, you are correct about the diagnostics page, I went there and saw the specs. I will just play with the rest of it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi. I have an external drive connected to my 9865 (1TB drive)
I was at 65% total used up to last night. Then all of a sudden today the % used dropped to 32% and 1/2 my recording programs are missing.
I have rebooted 3 times. Restarted external enclosure as well.

After 1 reboot same thing. 32% and missing shows.
After 2nd reboot, it said 65% again, but shows still missing.
3rd reboot back to 32% and still missing shows.

So now it is 32% used and 1/2 shows missing. It works, records, I can play back the shows I see.
I went into diagnostics and it sees the 2 drives. It can see the model and serial number of the removable and non-removable.

Any recommendations?
Or is it all lost? Should I replace external drive? Or at least, I guess just disconnect the external?

Thanks,
Allan

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
PERSONALLY, sounds like the external drive wiped..
That it was showing at 65.. was that it was the one drive listed, and almost full..
At 32, when it has both on, so less full...

But missing the shows which were stored on the external drive :(

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had over 200 hours of HD shows on the DVR. The 65% was defn for the 2 drives. It has been steadily filling up for the past few months.

This has never happened before. Been using Rogers DVR's with an external drive for many, many years. From the 8300 and on . . I have upgraded the drives 3 times. And replaced the enclosure at least once.

Anybody think this was a Rogers screw-up and I should just continue using the external drive because the drive itself is not the problem? OR should I replace the drive? Diagnostics sees the drive all seems to be ok. Before going to sleep last night I started recording 4 different shows for a few hours. When I get home I will check if all play back fine.

It is a Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II WD1001FALS

It is probably about 2 years old. (I think).

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
That's just it.. it COULD have been a rogers problem, per say.
That somehow during one of the last updates, etc.. that it pretty much forgot the drive temporarily, and then wiped the content.

Drive COULD be fine.

Issues like this, is probably whey they have sort of stopped selling the ext drives themselves.

·
Registered
260 Posts
USB On A Nextbox 3

I know this is the wrong thread for this request, but I am sure 57 will steer me straight. Does the NextBox 3 have a USB port on the back and can you connect a PVR Extender via it. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
@sammey: USB is not used for eHDDs. SATA is utilized, but very few people have an eHDD on the 9865 because it has 1TB iHDD and media shrink which is enough room for almost everybody.

After all, this is supposed to be a time-shifting device and not an archiving device. It's not typically a matter of if an HDD will fail but when.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all,

I am hoping to get some advice. I have had the next box 3 for about 6 months now and its been great. Recently just have not had much time to catch up on my recorded shows and so the pvr is filling up. I was thinking of attaching an external drive. I have read all of the posts in this thread and some people have said that it works with the next box 3. I have an old Samsung 2.5" drive from an old laptop that died.(I know laptop drives are not recommended, but hoping this might work with what I got rather then buying a new drive) A few days ago I ordered this external enclosure from best buy and got it yesterday. Very few enclosures these days with esata.

Startech 2.5 Inch ESATA USB External Hard Drive Enclosure for SATA HDD (SAT2510BU2E) - Black : Storage Accessories - Best Buy Canada

I installed my drive into it and connected to my pc via usb to make sure it works and detected the drive. I then used Disk Management to remove the partitions, I now have 1 "unallocated space" of about 450gb and another "unallocated space" of about 511mb.(don't remember the exact numbers right now)

I connect the drive to my next box via esata and use the usb power cable to plug into one of the usb ports on the back of the next box for power. The next box sees the drive and asks to format it, I hit yes and then it confirms I hit yes and nothing happens. The next box is then unresponsive, channel pvr or guide. I left overnight about 6 hours and same. I rebooted the next box and it asks me again to format the drive. tried twice and same. Remove drive and reboot and pvr is ok.

My next step on the weekend was to maybe try formatting the partition to fat32 as one user mentioned and try. The other is to try to somehow merge the two "unallocated spaces" disk management in windows did not seem to have the option for that, maybe try a third party tool. I was also thinking of using a usb wall adapter, instead of the usb on the back of the nextbox for power.

Any other suggestions or advice would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just wanted to follow up.

So I tried the drive with my phone USB adapter and the next box 3 asked me to format again. I said yes and yes to confirm.
Then I tried my guide and it was working and not frozen. My kid wanted to watch a movie on Netflix, so I left the box on and turned on Netflix on my smart TV, cartoon movie was about 90 min long. After it was over I exited Netflix, hoping to see a completed msg on the screen for the format, but nothing. I checked my guide and still working, checked my PVR and there it was, percent used went down about 30% , about what I expected for a 500gb add on. Maybe the msg came up and went away while the TV was on Netflix, not sure, but at least it works, now just to test some recordings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nextbox 3.0 External 2TB or 3TB Hard drives

Hi Guys,

I want to add additional storage space to my Nextbox. I have been using a 1 TB hard drive but want to upgrade to 2 or 3TB. Can anyone confirm which model #'s work with the Nextbox 3.0? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
@carmaster2017 : I've moved your post to this existing thread on the topic. You may wish to read some of the recent pages of this thread. I have the following comments.

1. Although I'm not sure, the firmware may limit you to a total of 2TB, so adding a larger drive may not provide any additional storage.

2. Since the 9865 uses "media shrink" you already have hundreds of hours of programme-recording ability. Most people don't even bother adding an eHDD because the internal 1TB HDD is more than adequate for the PVR's intended use.

3. The PVRs are not intended to be utilized as an archiving device. They are time-shifting devices. It's not a matter of IF a HDD will fail, but rather WHEN, so I'd hate to see you think you've got an archive when a HDD fails, which it will inevitably do.

4. If you wish to have an archive, you would need to consider something like the Hauppauge HDPVR (an HTPC to which your recordings can be copied)

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
The WD Blues and Blacks have worked for most people. Note that I stated a TOTAL of 2 TB, which you already have (1TB iHDD, 1TB eHDD). I'm not sure if that limitation still exists, but it did a while back and it may still be in place. I'm not aware of anyone who's gone beyond 2TB total.

·
Registered
9,184 Posts
Don't know if it can be done but, from a reliability viewpoint, it might be better to replace the internal hard drive with a 2TB model. From my experience, external drives tend to fail or go off line much more often than internal drives. I've also seen external drives impact overall PVR reliability.

201 - 220 of 225 Posts