Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

181 - 200 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sometime late last month I rec'd an update on my 8642, ever since then my eHDD is not compatible anymore!
Anyone else get the update with the same result?
Thanks, & HNYear to you all!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks, 57.

I started having some other issues with the 8642, I'm going to swap it out in the morning.

Happy New Year!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Rogers official HD PVR Extender ?

Hi everyone,

Does Rogers still sell a HDPVR Extender that would be compatible with their new Netbox 3.0; Cisco 9865 ?

I can't find anything on their website that refers to it. It does not seem to be available at any store.

Though the online Shopping Channel and online Walmart.ca offer 1 1TB version that they say is only compatible with the older PVR's. Not the Cisco 9865.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Allan

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
The Rogers packaged PVR extender is compatible with all PVR models carried by Rogers. There is nothing that is specific to each model as the technology is all standardized.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Your post was moved to this existing thread.

1. I provided a link to the PVR extender in post 172 of this thread, however, the link no longer works.

2. I also tried searching for PVR extender and although there are some "hits" on the Rogers Website, none of them link to an extender any more.

3. They were selling it quite recently because a friend of mine purchased one in late October that he's using on his 8300HD

4. There is a fair bit of discussion on the Rogers forums regarding the fact that many people cannot get them to work with the NB3 9865. gdkitty has an eHDD working on his 9865, as do some others...

5. Perhaps the people who have one working got it initialized on some older firmware and newer firmware will no longer initialize?

6. Since the 9865 has a 1TB internal drive, there are probably not many people needing an extender.

7. Perhaps Rogers cleared out their stock when they dropped the price from $150 to $100.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
As 57 said.. I have the 1tb extender (about 2 years old) on the 9865 and its working fine.
Mind you.. again mine is a little older, but same model enclosure (likely maybe just different drive inside?).
Mine was used/formatted to work on 8642 before it was on my 9865.

Some people have been having issues with getting them working on the 9865.
There SEEMS to be a work around though.
It appears it never comes up with the formatting message, etc.. when you just plug it in stock.
Plugging it into a PC, it shows up as already formatted NTFS I think it was.
You want to go into your hard drive management (disk management under the computer management in administrative tools in control panel).
And delete the partition altogether. Then when you plug into the 9865, it seems to detect and re-format properly.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Owner of a rogers certified 1TB Extender that is probably 4-5 years old, was using it with my "rented" 8642 PVR, about a month ago I purchased the 9865 PVR, and would like to connect it to the PVR, what steps should I follow to connecting the old External drive to the new 9865? It only has the ESATA interface on it.

Can I simply plug in the unit to the 9865 while everything is shut off? Or do I literally have to unplug all the devices?

Any info greatly appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
As long as both the 8642 and 9865 are unplugged from power, you can connect the extender, but note that anything currently on your extender will be lost forever once you transition.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Rogers packaged PVR extender is now officially discontinued. No word if there is any official replacement coming down the road.

·
Registered
188 Posts
External Drive on 9865

My 8300HD died on the weekend, so I had to replace it with a 9865. My external drive on the 8300HD is a NexStar 3 (USB 2 and eSATA) with a Western Digital Black 1TB drive.

After running the 9865 for a couple of days, I decided to try adding the external drive.

Because the recommendation was to connect the drive with no partition defined, I connected the drive to a Windows 7 machine and brought up Disk Management, which displayed that there was no partition on the drive. To be sure, I did a quick format to NTFS with MBR (Master Boot Record not GPT - GUID Partition Table) and then deleted the NTFS partition.

I powered off the 9865, connected the external drive, powered up the drive and then powered up the 9865. After the 9865 had rebooted and was powered on, the external drive light was flashing so I left it overnight to see if it had any effect, but the disk usage was unchanged the next morning. I assumed that the drive would not work.

However, later that day I had to reboot the 9865 because of the PCM issue. When the box was powered on again, I received the message that an external drive was detected and asked if I wanted to format the drive. I then got the warning that all data would be erased. The format was very quick, and I got the message that the drive worked with the PVR. My disk usage was cut in half from 24% to 12%. Now whenever I reboot, I get the message that the external disk works with the PVR. Recording and playback has been OK, except for the PCM issue.

I hope this is useful to anyone else trying to add an external drive to the 9865.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nextbox lost recordings on external drive

Last night, the index of my external drive was reset to null. I don't know if there was a software upgrade responsible, but that's my suspicion...

I see that my Used Disk has dropped from around 50% yesterday to about 12% today, and numerous recordings are no longer listed. After some experimentation (booting with and without the eHDD), I can see that the eHDD hasn't failed, as I first suspected. All recordings made since last night have been placed on the eHDD, and I can view them with no problem. By comparing the recorded list when booting with and without eHDD, I see that the eHDD contains only the shows that were recorded today.

I know that there's a long history of this sort of thing happening, but most of the posts I've searched refer to the older models like the 8300; I didn't see any referring to this happening on a Nextbox.

At least the hardware seems to be functional, but I really don't know what recordings I've lost. Bloody frustrating...

Thanks for letting me vent. :mad:

Dave

----
NextBox 9865HD with Rogers (Seagate) external drive
Software version 5.0.0.0123
UI version 3.1.5.24.04.09.11/28392

----

·
Registered
364 Posts
I connected my 1TB eHDD to one of my 9865 as a test. I followed the procedure outlined in this thread and after 1 reboot the NB3 displayed a recognition of the eHDD and the used space was approx halved. I performed a second reboot just to confirm. The diagnostic screens also showed the eHDD and displayed information as to the model the serial number and size of both drives. The diagnostics do not indicate space available on either drive.

After a week of saving programs with no issues playing back programs with a slight slowing of response to some functions I disconected the eHDD and after reboot the NB3 displayed a message indicating that the eHDD device had been disconnected.
So far so good.
I then began playing programs on the recorded list I discovered that all programs were playing successfully. This indicated that all the programs had been recorded on the NB3 iHDD. The SA8300HDPVR would have recorded most of the shows on the 1TB eHDD and even though a program was listed
Does the NB3 fill up the iHDD before recording to the eHDD as opposed to the SA8300 recording to the drive with the most available space?

·
Registered
364 Posts
After further testing I have discovered that by disconnecting the eHDD and restarting the NB3 the list of programs available does not include those recorded to the eHDD. When the eHDD is reconnected they re-appear on the recorded programs list and play back successfully. The recording space used percentage also stays roughly the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rogers HD pvr 8642

I own my pvr and the hard drive is corrupt..so I purchased a 1 tb external hard drive e sata and hooked it up at the back of the pvr..how do I get it to record on the new hard drive Instead of the old one...my pvr acknowledged and ask me to format it-I said yes..... Help
!
Thanks

·
Registered
411 Posts
I do not believe that you can replace a corrupted internal drive simply my plugging in an external drive. The internal drive must be functional in order for the PVR to work. Even when using an external drive, the index for all programming is stored on the internal drive. The main use for the external drive is simply to expand the amount of storage space you have on your PVR. The only way to use the external drive is to replace the corrupted drive with a new one.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
@Pod3527 I've moved your post to this 8642 eHDD thread. You may also wish to read the 8642 iHDD thread, link below, since you likely need to replace the iHDD. What @Hooter says is all correct - the 8642 cannot function as a PVR without a properly functioning iHDD.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-...ternal-hdd-rogers-8642-pvr-read-post-1-a.html

Just as an FYI, not many people have bothered lately with eHDDs on their 8642s or 9865s because they increased the size of the iHDD of the 8642, or because the iHDD of the 9865 (1TB) is large enough, especially now that "media shrink" is active allowing for plenty of storage.

Quite a few people also reported issues with eHDDs on the 8642 and 9865 depending on firmware updates. I cannot recall if the issue was resolved or confirmed or all the different workarounds.

I'm also unsure if the eHDD you purchased could be mounted into the 8642 and used as an iHDD. What is the make/model of the eHDD? If you're mechanically inclined, armed with the proper tools (Torx) you should be able to do this yourself as outlined in the thread link above regarding the iHDD.

181 - 200 of 225 Posts